olympia, WA trip

aryl
alignin' 24-trk

olympia, WA trip

Post by aryl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:55 am

heading up to olympia, washington on thursday. want to check out the shops worth checking out. any suggestions on record stores(vinyl), pro audio, intruments, older electronics, etc. i'll take a bit of the day if things seem cool. by the way i live in portland.

davidW.
thanks,
david

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Re: olympia, WA trip

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:07 am

Music 6000 - instruments/pro audio
Positively 4th St. - Rekkids
Rainy Day - Rekkids
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"

BroAudio
audio school

Post by BroAudio » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:53 am

Hey,
Just chiming in here to back up what DSRC(hi J!) said, and to add that Oly has my favorite underground electronic salvage store ever. It's called ERS, Electronic Resourcing Supply(or something) and is hidden behind/under the highway by the community college. This is where all the stores that RatShack put out of business go to die. The have new stuff but also buy out inventory from out-of-business electronic supply houses so there can be some real treasures there, most of it they sell flea-market/how-much-for-this? style so you can score if you are lucky. Look em up in the phone book and ask how to get there. If you are a solder-er or electronic geek you will be stoked! Lots of bins of resistors, caps, tubes, new and old test gear, strange stuff for satellite communications, all kinds of cables and adaptors for super cheap, rack enclosures, empty cases for racking modules and stuff, raw speakers and microphone elements(!), empty Mic bodies(!), jacks, switches, etc etc etc...I guarantee you will rub elbows with guys in white vans and tons of gear on their utility belts. Seriously, this place is awesome if you are a geek.
-matt

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:02 pm

I was just in Olympia last week. I really like it there. We were only passing thru so I didnt see much. Except a whole crap load of motorcycle dudes driving around.

GrizzlyAtom
studio intern

Post by GrizzlyAtom » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:57 pm

well positively 4th st. no longer exists, so I would suggest Phantom City or Rainy Day for music. Music 6000 is alright but reminds a little to much of Guitar Center (they are way to eager to make a sale) so check out Capitol City Guitars. And I would second the recommendation for ERS, that place ROCKS. Drive up to Tacoma while you're here, Guitar Maniacs on antique row is my all time favorite music store. And there are a couple of AWESOME record stores on 6th Ave, they're across the street from each other. I think one is strictly collectible shit and the other is a lil bit of everyting

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:30 pm

Guitar Maniacs rulez!

They have been on the same block, but three differant locations. Those guys know how to survive.
boobs are life's fountain