re-cappin' neve

Re: Jump the Shark

Post by andyg666 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:55 am

When John K. left Ren & Stimpy...

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:02 pm

awolski wrote:I agree about the earlier Pumpkins B-sides. Are those collected on a disc somewhere that isn't part of some big box set? That would be nice.

I have 2 or 3 cassettes that predate Gish. I wonder what those are worth on ebay?
What's on them? Any chance of copies?

There wsa a compilation called Pisces Iscariot, i remember that only because i was so annoyed that i'd gone out and bought all the singles during a time when i was pretty broke, and here they were all on one disc. It's not all there, but some good stuff.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:26 pm

It's hard to remember. One had a song called "Jenniferever" as the first song and had 3 other songs. I remember it being kind of college-poppy without as much harder rocking edge to it. Another, I forget if the tape had a name, had versions of Rhinoceros (with a keyboard solo instead of a guitar solo) and another song from Gish and some other stuff that didn't appear on the albums. Let me dig those up. I'll be back on the web next week. Or....you could make an offer :roll:

I don't remember Pisces Iscariot. I used to go out every week and buy 45s back in the old college daze and I remember really getting into "I Am One" and "Tristessa" and stuff from that era.

Good call on Ren and Stimpy.

Um, "Get a Life" after Bob Eliott left the show? Nah, "Get a Life" never jumped the shark.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:42 pm

beck sort of jumped the shark on midnite vultures. he recorded some fake laughter, beckoning back to one foot in the grave and previous records. also just trying to be lyrically nonsensical and silly--it started sounding forced on that record. not that his songs in general aren't awesome (IMO) but he's already done the "i'm rediculous" thing and when he does it on his newer material it doesn't work for me, cuz he already did it better and with sincerity in the past...

Karlos the Jackal
ass engineer

Post by Karlos the Jackal » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:04 pm

Shane MacGowan leaves The Pogues. *shudder* It's a two-fer! Now they ALL suck!

--K

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:00 pm

I think the Pumpkins EP you are talking about was called "Blue" I have it on cassette at home. I'll check tonight. It was good, so was Gish. Everything else was a steady decline.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:15 pm

dwlb wrote:when Pearl Jam decided to stop writing good songs and mixing their records. So, about halfway through the making of Vs., basically.
So is that to say that you think "Ten" was Pearl Jam's best album and that it was all down hill from there?
lfg

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:08 am

JASIII wrote:I think the Pumpkins EP you are talking about was called "Blue" I have it on cassette at home. I'll check tonight. It was good, so was Gish. Everything else was a steady decline.
Blue's not got the track Awolski's talking about, sounds like he has earlier stuff, Blue has the same version of Rhinocerous as Gish.

Pisces Iscariot came out after siamese dream i think.

rigsbysmith.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:41 pm

lutopia wrote:
dwlb wrote:when Pearl Jam decided to stop writing good songs and mixing their records. So, about halfway through the making of Vs., basically.
So is that to say that you think "Ten" was Pearl Jam's best album and that it was all down hill from there?
That's the gist. Of course, I stopped listening to PJ after "Vitalogy," so they may have gotten better, but there's been nothing that has really lured me back. Why keep listening if you don't like what you hear? I liked about half of "Vs." but everything started to get really boring after that.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:46 pm

awolski wrote:I'm not familiar with Def Leppard history, is that a "When Paul Di'anno left Iron Maiden" type of situation?
I'm not familiar with Maiden, but it's kind of a "when Pete Best left the Beatles" situation. Phil Collen played on Leppard's 2nd record, which was the quadrilloplatinum Pyromania. The other dude had played on their first record On Through the Night or something like that, which contained the original version of "Bringin' On the Heartbreak."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

Bear's Gone Fission
gettin' sounds

Post by Bear's Gone Fission » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:22 pm

Any band whose 2nd single is a cover song. (E.g. - Nirvana making a hit out of Killing Joke's "Eighties".)

"Bands" that continue on with 1/3 or fewer of the original members, especially when it's just some chumpass excuse for a singer who likes to wear kilts and doo-rags who, even with all the money, time, and hired talent in the world, cannot put a frigging album out.

Interpol when Ian Curtis committed suicide. (Bonus points for jumping the shark 20 years in advance of solidifying their lineup.)

Bear

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:22 pm

How about bands whose FIRST single is a cover? Van Halen, Alien Ant Farm, I'm looking in your direction...

Wonderland
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Wonderland » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:29 am

dwlb wrote:
awolski wrote:I'm not familiar with Def Leppard history, is that a "When Paul Di'anno left Iron Maiden" type of situation?
I'm not familiar with Maiden, but it's kind of a "when Pete Best left the Beatles" situation. Phil Collen played on Leppard's 2nd record, which was the quadrilloplatinum Pyromania. The other dude had played on their first record On Through the Night or something like that, which contained the original version of "Bringin' On the Heartbreak."
I'm mortified that I'm the one posting a correction, regarding the details of Def Leppard's early history, but here goes...

"Pyromania" was the 3rd album, & the point where Phil Collen officially joined the band.

He did, indeed, play some guitar (solos, I think) on "High & Dry", Lep's 2nd record.
(Pete Willis was, apparently, pretty fucked-up at that point & a huge pain in the ass.)

"Bringin' On the Heartbreak" was on "High & Dry" .

:roll: So there you go.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:42 pm

Wonderland wrote:
I'm mortified that I'm the one posting a correction, regarding the details of Def Leppard's early history, but here goes...

"Pyromania" was the 3rd album, & the point where Phil Collen officially joined the band.

He did, indeed, play some guitar (solos, I think) on "High & Dry", Lep's 2nd record.
(Pete Willis was, apparently, pretty fucked-up at that point & a huge pain in the ass.)

"Bringin' On the Heartbreak" was on "High & Dry" .

:roll: So there you go.
I sit corrected.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:22 am

It's TV not music, but my dad and i are were talking about old TV last night and we agreed that Cheers definately jumped the shark after Sam sold the bar (should've been the end of the show) and Kirsty Alley became the manager. Way downhill from there.

rigsbysmith.com