The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou was...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou was...

Post by wing » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:59 pm

so sweet. Wes Anderson did indeed not disappoint... I really love a lot of the dialogue and the cinematography, it was all so excellent.

However, if I were to make a complaint about the movie: one thing that surprised me with Anderson making films of such great look and quality to them is the fact that he had used such bad looking computer graphics. I mean, the little creatures were cute and all, but not very well done. It looked like beautiful film mixed with cheesy toy story / disney / pixar characters, and it just didn't flow and mix well. But oh well. Regardless, an awesome film. I highly suggest it!

phalex
tinnitus

Re: The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou was...

Post by phalex » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:46 am

I liked the visuals a lot. I have only seen the last 80% of the movie, but the story seemed kind of forced at times. THe seen with "Search & Destroy" was awesome.
Werd.

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:57 am

wing wrote: It looked like beautiful film mixed with cheesy toy story / disney / pixar characters, and it just didn't flow and mix well. But oh well. Regardless, an awesome film. I highly suggest it!
It seemed like the CGI was purposely done that way to be "tripped-out" in a Yellow Submarine kind of way.

Or, it was a comment on Steve's copious use of doob.

Either way, I dug it.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:35 am

I liked the movie, but it was my least favorite from Anderson.
I am wangtacular.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:22 pm

I loved it. After all the bad reviews, it ended up being a lot more Wes Anderson than Royals was. It had the playfulness of Bottle Rocket, only with a huge budget. I think the cinematography and production design was the best I'de seen in ages. FABO!

cupcakelarry03
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cupcakelarry03 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:51 pm

i think it was stop-motion, not computer graphics. by some of the same people that worked on nightmare before christmas...

killer movie. The guy that did all the bowie songs in french was a nice touch.
large marge sent me

digdug
pushin' record

Post by digdug » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:04 pm

Bear wrote:I liked the movie, but it was my least favorite from Anderson.
Agreed. Definitely my least favorite Anderson flik, but his sappy endings always fucking kill me - this was no exception.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:29 am

is it just me or does wes anderson rehash the same characters over and over in his films? especially in this case, the writing appears to struggle quite a bit (where are the transitions?) -- it might have to do with the pressure of being bumped into becoming a $50M studio film.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:22 am

i think it was one of his most beautifully made films. the colors were fantastic, the sets were amazing, and the cinematography was the best i've seen in a long time. from a technical standpoint, it to me is anderson's best film.

from a writing standpoint, i think i tend more toward rushmore and bottle rocket, and maybe royal... though i would argue that the life aquatic was awesomely written. there was some really kick ass dialogue. "i hate fathers, i don't want to be one." and... ned: "you won't let me call you dad" steve: "i let you call me stevsie, it sounds better." and more... a lot more.

i see the point in the lack of transitions in the writing, but to me it doesn't matter. i like that in fact. it might seem confusing, but at the same time it feels like a comfortable departure and somehow makes more sense to me. i really enjoy his writing.

and bill murray's character was of course awesome. I love how he renamed his son Kingsley. hahaha.

but yeah, totally sweet filmmaking, especially from the look.

about the CGI: i know that the credits said stop motion, but was that for something else? because this didn't look like yellow submarine, it looked more like finding nemo.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:11 am

I stand corrected: http://bvim-qt.vitalstream.com/LifeAqua ... s_1500.mov

and I feel sorry for them, because as much work as they put in it, it still looked very CGI finding nemoish to me. :(

BigCats
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by BigCats » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:00 pm

cupcakelarry03 wrote:The guy that did all the bowie songs in french was a nice touch.
It was Portugese (for those of us interested in this type of anal retentive detail).

BTW - what's up with all of the Bill Murray mid-life crisis flix (Rushmore, Lost in Translation, this one)? I mean this was a funny movie and all but do we have to put with the Baby Boomers' trauma over getting old - we're already gonna bankrupt the country when we retire. Does the world really want to hear us whine about it too?
"Clever quote by some famous person that I didn't come up with"

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:28 pm

wing wrote:I feel sorry for them, because as much work as they put in it, it still looked very CGI finding nemoish to me. :(
you don't use stop-motion animation to portray realism unless you're stan winston. anyhow, i agree that the stop-motion animal-life was completely misused.

i think the most dissapointing thing about the film was that they'd wasted all the money shots in the trailer(s). i can't say i was surprised by anything other than my lack of surprise.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:41 pm

BigCats wrote:what's up with all of the Bill Murray mid-life crisis flix (Rushmore, Lost in Translation, this one)?
it ain't only bill murray -- the mid-life crisis theme has been "in" for quite a while now. here are a few off the top of my head:

falling down
american beauty
magnolia
blade III (har har)
office space
royal tennenbaums (that makes 3/4 for 'ol wessy)
about schmidt
sideways
the assasination of richard nixon

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:28 pm

i think the mid-life crisis thing is neat, and is something we can all relate to. i'm 20 and i feel and understand and relate with the "mid-life" crisis characters.

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:30 pm

The movie is good.
I liked the part when Zissou is talking about how they put "rabbit ears" on the diving helmets so they could listen to music and all, music plays and Bill Murray shakes his money maker a bit. Funny, haha.