Lighting for the Studio

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Lighting for the Studio

Post by dino » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:53 am

Making a living by pointing lights and a camera at things, probably skews my opinion of the importance of lighting a little. I’ve seen the effect lighting has on actors and even on-camera narrators. The lighting can be just as important to “getting into character” as the clothes the actors wear.. Similarly, there’s no disputing the influence lighting has on the concert stage for the audience and performer.. Lighting can change the vibe of a space in a magical way… For thirty years, the financial security of my family has depended on my ability to do so.. But I digress..
I really believe there is a difference in a performance, when the lighting is appropriate for the song. Whether it be dark or bright, colored, or whatever.. I suppose that under certain circumstances even fluorescent fixtures if it fit’s the mood… and you “want” the humm.. Seriously though, I was just curious to know if any forum members do anything interesting with the lighting in their recording spaces.

poux
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Lighting for the Studio

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:08 am

It's always low lighting for me, can't function as well in brightly lit spaces and the people i record don't perform well in that sort of environment. The main light is never on, we use four lamps spaced around the room and that provides a warm glow against the cream walls and enough light to see one's instrument without feeling exposed. Makes for a good atmosphere. I spent some time working for a production company and part of that was lighting for installations, really enjoyable work for the most part, particularly seeing a stark space become more involving, inviting and warm.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

hammertime
re-cappin' neve

Post by hammertime » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:49 am

I like dark lighting. It just feels right. I always feel like I'm in a supermarket or something if it's too bright. You can create this feeling of being enclosed from the world -- almost like a submarine or something. Even when I watch a band, I like the old approach -- everything's dark except the spotlight on the performers. I hate the ambient lighting that started in the late 70's/80s -- where you light up the whole stage, and the audience with these blue-filtered lights.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:33 am

I work as a stagehand now and then, so I have done plenty of "climb & focus", as well as one or two lighting designs for small shows. And at the folk club I like to spend a few minutes on the lights getting a nice look.

But for me, in my own little home studio area, it's regular lighting. I don't feel uncomfortable in a bright room, plus I can see everything clearly enough. I'm a morning person, if that explains anything...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:18 am

I like to have at least 20KWatts on each band member..then you can charge then for the tanning..

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:29 am

I can hardly work without decent lighting - Hard to concentrate. In addition to the mastering thing, I've been a theatrical technician for some time, so I get the lighting fixation also.

I use (Hunter?) tracks with goosneck halogen fixtures. Ugly to look at, but very effective. I've got one focused on the left rack, the right rack, the two-track rack and two for ambient/wall lighting. Use a premium dimmer, though... The noise you can get from those cheesy $6.95 dimmers at the Depot will have you climbing the walls.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:30 am

Natural lighting!!! There is such a difference when you have a lot of natural light.

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:43 pm

Get some of those full-spectrum bulbs.

You can FEEL 'em!! Even when you're not directly under them. Good for the head!

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:50 pm

You know who is really into lighting??? To my surprise, Guy Lombardo!

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:43 pm

The last thing I need in my studio is a lava lamp.

Who else has one, and what am I missing?

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:04 pm

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:44 pm

the Ultra Lava Pro has the ability to cross all boundaries and create unification in the world no matter race, creed, gender, or political leanings... i love you massive. that rules.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:49 pm

If you like that, you're in for some serious emotional attachment with this...

(A Herman Miller Aeron knockoff - Actually available at WalMart for around $70)

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:44 pm

I like to have light, little to no light kinda sucks, i have track lighting in my booth. But in the control room, which is my basement, i just have regular lighting.

I interned at a studio that had tracj lighting, but there were always some broken bulbs, so it was not that bright in the conrtol room. it made me sleepy, i was always about to fall asleep. I did once, on their comfortable leather couches, But that was also from smoking grass. But the lighting didnt help.

-chris

lastpicked4kickball
alignin' 24-trk

Post by lastpicked4kickball » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:01 pm

Last place I was in had a pretty cool set up,

four lights one in each corner pointed into the corner and had funnel can fixtures around them, had rope lights lining the floor, and a tinted center light. Not sure how that sounds to most, but the last place we had set up had shop lights and our stage lights in it, and it was a nightmare. Setting up a new space now, not sure how we are going to set this one up.
Just trying to get through life without looking stupid! Not workin' out so far for me...