What did you major in?

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: What did you major in?

Post by maz » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:29 am

thunderboy wrote:I have a BM in Jazz Studies.

I shit you not.

jt
me too. i would have changed my major had i thought about the initials of my degree.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:35 am

I went to school for Audio Engineering and I am now one. I think it gets the bad rap cause so many people who go into it are jack-offs who dont' want to work, and are looking for an easy route. But its like any schooling, you gotta bust ass to get ahead and stick out of the crowd.
But if you want to learn audio, go to school for it. If you go somewhere down the line that you hear isn't looking for someone with a degree... dont' tell them. But I think most places would rather have someone who has
1. learned things about audio
2. got good grades
3. showed that they can commit to something

If someone wouldn't hire me cause I went to school and learned about it, then screw them.. they probably aren't someone I would want to work for anyways. How the hell do they know you aren't the next Joel Hamilton??
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:45 am

BA in computer science from Michigan State, with minors in telecommunications and philosophy.

Plus I was working for a sound company for a couple-three of those years.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:46 am

I'm also technically undeclared, but after much thinking about it, I'm considering declaring my major English... as I want something I can sort of apply to all areas of art and communication that I'm interested in.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:11 pm

BA in Telecommunications from Michigan State, with emphasis on audio production. Minored in Theatre. Also, one semester at Columbia College Chicago as a music major during a break from MSU.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:26 pm

I achieved the Total Doctorate, as per the standards described in Ionesco's The Lesson.

Majored in C O C K B L O C K !!!

With a few minors in bullshit.
beware bee wear

lanxe
gettin' sounds

Post by lanxe » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:00 pm

captain_buzz wrote:I'm about to start my second quarter of my sophomore year at Ohio State without a declared major. My goal is to someday own and operate a small studio and perhaps even a small record label. I've heard some warnings against audio engineering majors (Ohio State doesn't offer one anyways), saying that they don't really prepare you or help you get a job as an engineer. Anybody agree/disagree with this?

I'm curious about what working engineers actually majored in, and if you could do it again would you change anything?
hey, i am about to graduate from ohio state this winter quarter with a mechanical engineering degree.
more tapeoppers popping up all the time
Ryan

captain_buzz
audio school

Post by captain_buzz » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:10 pm

hey, i am about to graduate from ohio state this winter quarter with a mechanical engineering degree.
That's funny, my twin brother is going to major in Mechanical Engineering at OSU. What did you think of it?

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:18 pm

Sheeeeeit........

Not one Psych major in the bunch?

I'm the only one?

I was just a kid whilst in college. I should've studied something worthwhile. Crazy people used to fascinate me (it's my day job). Now they bore and annoy me.

At least the crazy and annoying people in my band can play instruments.......

lanxe
gettin' sounds

Post by lanxe » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:19 pm

captain_buzz wrote:
That's funny, my twin brother is going to major in Mechanical Engineering at OSU. What did you think of it?
It has been cool........fairly challenging, but i think it is probably the most useful info as far as any major is concerned. you really cant slack like you can in other majors......it requires a lot of thinking.

there are quite a few classes that focus on frequency response which i have found to be very useful in audio. you are also required to take a couple of electrical engineering courses, which helped me understand the fundamentals.

plus ohio states mechanical engineering program is pretty good (and you are getting a new building!)

i guess it all depends on what you want to do. i would love to have a good paying job recording, but that is somewhat unrealistic for me right now. i have compromised by doing this and music at the same time. music and recording being for fun and not for money.

Ryan

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:53 pm

My academic background is completely non-musical, which has made playing and recording music all the better for me because I've never approached it as a job (which I might if it was my total life). BA in history from Old Dominion University, and almost had a MA Ed from The College of William & Mary until I realized that my interests were more in political philosophy and the philosophy of science than in education. Ended up with a master's from Dartmouth College.
If I were to pursue something musical in college, I think I'd be most interested in Dartmouth's grad program in electro-acoustics. There's some pretty strange stuff coming out of it, from what I gather.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:12 pm

I majored in looking hot.
I am wangtacular.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:15 pm

i dropped out of the New School's Jazz program after a year and a half. i was studying upright bass... got to gigging too much to pass classes, so i decided i didn't want to be spending money to fail.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:43 pm

Bear wrote:I majored in looking hot.
and all this time i thought you were born hot.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:14 pm

Nope. College.
I am wangtacular.