Wow! Is this really how "other" people think?

JASIII
george martin

Wow! Is this really how "other" people think?

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:43 am

Thread on the quantegy shutdown, NPR story audio. Read down the thread, no wonder tape is in trouble if this is what people think!! Fucked up.....

http://slashdot.org/articles/05/01/06/0 ... =188&tid=1
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Wow! Is this really how "other" people think?

Post by wing » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:06 am

wow....

i did find this post funny, though:
I see that people have criticized your use of the word "irony." Irony, as it's commonly defined, is an often-misunderstood topic and many people who are familiar with it are annoyed with the misapplication of the term. Here is a guide to understanding irony that may help.

* Irony describes a result that is the opposite of what would commonly be expected under the circumstances.
* From that definition, you can see that there must be a common expectation in the first place. If an event happens that is merely coincidental or unrelated to the circumstances, it is "unlikely" or maybe "unfortunate" but not ironic. Even if something is coincidental in a regrettable, cynical, extreme, or unusual way, that does not make it ironic.
o Example 1: Rain on your wedding day -- regrettable, but your wedding day has nothing to do with the weather. Not ironic.
o Example 2: Running off with the best man on your wedding day. Ironic.
* If an event is appropriate given the circumstances, it is "fitting" or "apropos," not ironic. Even if something is fitting in a clever or unusual way, it cannot be ironic. In fact, apropos and ironic are more or less antonyms.
o Example 1: A traffic jam when you're already late -- something that just makes a bad situation worse is appropriate to the circumstance. Not ironic.
o Example 2: A traffic jam on a newly-opened expressway. Ironic.

So technically, I must say that no, the event you mentioned is not ironic but is better described as...
[ ] extremely unfortunate
[ ] weirdly coincidental
[X] amusingly apropos
[ ] oddly fitting
[ ] poetic justice
and I hope you find this post useful.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:16 am

there are some stupid posts...

"I didn't know there were even 250 people who still used analog reel-to-reel tapes. Perhaps there were more people making the tape than using the tape."

"I go digital, then run it through my old tape recorder to get that great old analogue sound." [to which someone responded:] "You mean noise? Or is your tape recorder oiled with snake oil?"

"You obviously haven't been watching the pro digital audio market lately. I can do all the effects you described with digital preprocessors, if you're worried about mangling your waveforms in postprocessing due to sampling limits.
But you go ahead and live with your tape hiss and dropouts, and keep convincing yourself analog is superior. Meanwhile, the digital recording world is moving on to 128khz/48bit sampling which is way beyond anything even you could possibly need."

"Nah, you only have to look out for clipping in the 16-bit digital world. 24 bits and above give you so much headroom that there's no need to ride the signal anywhere near 0dB." <<< that is one of the stupidest things i've read in a long time... makes sense if you're doing smooth jazz, but if you're doing a rock n roll record, 24-bits is not a problem to clip.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:21 am

24 bits is not a problem to clip.... I can personally attest to the fact that you WILL have a problem.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:23 am

I find it ironic that you use the word irony in relation to a metal oxide storage medium.....

I thought that one was kinda funny.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:41 am

some more good ones...

"Even the folks with ears have moved on. Digital was arguably inferior to high-quality analog in the early years, but there aren't many (working) engineers/producers pushing that anymore."

"The "analog sound" -- which basically equates to rolled off high frequencies -- can easily be replicated digitally." (hahaha... what the?)
I like how this guy replied: "The finest consumer tape deck ever produced, the Pioneer RT-909, had a frequency response to 30kHz. Studio decks that record at 15 inches-per-second have response clear out to 40kHz and beyond. A CD has response to only 22.05kHz, and even studio digital equipment has a hard time working up to 48kHz."

"If recording engineers are like many other engineers (and I'm using engineer here very loosely), they're a conservative bunch who are loath to learn and use new things." (hahaha)

This one is funny: "However, if you're used to that crisp, clear digital sound, with its quantization effects and massive spectrum shift, analog audio can sound a bit dull. People who know what instruments sound like when played in good surroundings know that analog preserves fidelity better."

What? "In my opinion open-reel may be analog, but it had so many signal degrading problems! Hiss, print-through, edge damage, drop-outs, breakage, flutter and wow. Don't be fooled into thinking that analog tape provided anything pure or natural; it was a kluge." HA!

"Analog tape is not just a mediom for recording/archiving/storing music. It is a medium used to create it. That is, musicians use the characteristics of the medium - they manipulate it's unique qualities as a medium - to create sounds. These are not necessarily equivalent with different media (like digital media) - doesn't sound the same, isn't as easy to work. It's as if all the manufacturers of watercolors and oil paints went out of business 'cause we've just gotten acrylics to work right. Or if the makers of hand-held woodworking tools shut down because we're all going to use computer-controlled 3D modeling lathes from now on.
It ain't the same and it impoverishes the options - signficantly down-sizes the available tool kit. Things that were once easy will become harder, or more expensive, or maybe impossible." <<< Well said.

One of the best quotes: "I guess that this is all Bush's fault somehow."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:45 am

i liked the guy who said:
"Digital is better.

In every respect.

I am an audiophile....."

i wonder how much he spent on his power cables.

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:13 am

I've been a slashdotter for 5 years, and they are some dumb fuckers.

thom yorke
ass engineer

Post by thom yorke » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:23 am

I slashed your moms dot.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:09 pm

thom yorke wrote:I slashed your moms dot.
Shut your face Thom.

What kind of a name is Thom anyway? Not quite Thumb and not quite Tom.

Go fuck yourself.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:32 pm

If it were Thom Yorke, he would have said it more like

"your mom's dot
the robot so paranoid
i'm tired
i'm tired
(something unintelligible)
i slashed it
i slashed it"

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:35 pm

This reminds me of the vinyl vs cd message boards I used to see in 94. Not that we knew what message boards were back then. I wonder if I still have the sound clip I downloaded if Chris Cornel saying "Vinyl sounds better, we think vinyl sounds better."