steve albini likes it

Re: New iMac Mini just announced

Post by tateeskew » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:31 pm

ummm...."security slot" ???????? :shake:

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:00 pm

Just got in from MacExpo in SF. The mini is tiny... kinda like picking up two paperbacks. Unobtrusive. Interesting turn for the company.

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE IPOD SHUFFLE. It's the flimsiest POS. The buttons on the demo machines already feel like they are going to fall off.

Tiger is going to rule, though. Core Video to go with Core Audio. Automator. Rad stuff.
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:13 pm

yeah, i didn't have a good feeling about the shuffler...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:39 pm

I'm considering getting one as well, and instead of having to cart my heavy-as-shit dual 1.25 w/four drives down to our practice space every sat & sunday just packing up one of these. I've got a monitor and a key/mouse down there anyway, so why not just use this to carry all of our music related shit on? No GB e-net is no biggie in my book, all I need is FW are USB.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:54 am

I've already bitched about the iMac mini elsewhere, but a few things in its defense:

1) the G4 Cube or whatever it was called ran for boutique prices, hence it failing to sell, and it wasn't that small, the iMac mini is cheap and actually usefully, novelty-sized small. The thing will sell insane amounts, and to a lot of first-time Mac users and switchees to boot.

2) it's super cheap to hit 512 ram, and if you stick to 3rd party 1 gig isn't terrible.

It still blows my mind they didn't put a FW800 port on the new iMac proper,
and the iMac mini's 'optional for $$$' superdrive is a kick in the pants... the 599 model should have included it... not to mention the "optional for $$$" wireless functionality.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 am

A.L. wrote:I've already bitched about the iMac mini elsewhere, but a few things in its defense:

1) the G4 Cube or whatever it was called ran for boutique prices, hence it failing to sell, and it wasn't that small, the iMac mini is cheap and actually usefully, novelty-sized small. The thing will sell insane amounts, and to a lot of first-time Mac users and switchees to boot.

2) it's super cheap to hit 512 ram, and if you stick to 3rd party 1 gig isn't terrible.

It still blows my mind they didn't put a FW800 port on the new iMac proper,
and the iMac mini's 'optional for $$$' superdrive is a kick in the pants... the 599 model should have included it... not to mention the "optional for $$$" wireless functionality.
you're totally getting one.

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:16 am

I was going to spend about $500 for a processor upgrade for my G4 466 but I think the mini imac has changed my mind for me.
I'll bet that's precisely what they wanted you to do. Why upgrade your old system that still works, when they can sell you a whole new one? Keep in mind that a lot of accessories/extras are not included in its price tag...I'm not much of a nerd but I bet it'll run you more like $7-800 to get a tricked out Mini Mac fully up to "schweet" status. I'm not knocking Apple, but that is sooooo classic computer strategy right there (why upgrade, throw it away and get a new one!) and Apple in particular is really really good at this stuff.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:40 am

coniferouspine wrote:
I was going to spend about $500 for a processor upgrade for my G4 466 but I think the mini imac has changed my mind for me.
I'll bet that's precisely what they wanted you to do. Why upgrade your old system that still works, when they can sell you a whole new one? Keep in mind that a lot of accessories/extras are not included in its price tag...I'm not much of a nerd but I bet it'll run you more like $7-800 to get a tricked out Mini Mac fully up to "schweet" status. I'm not knocking Apple, but that is sooooo classic computer strategy right there (why upgrade, throw it away and get a new one!) and Apple in particular is really really good at this stuff.
yeah I know but I already have all the accesories except for the RAM upgrade that will be needed with the mini. When you think about the fact that I was going to drop $500 on a new processor it all works out the same anyways. I can sell my G4 for $500-600 which is is what the basic mini will run, so that's pretty much a wash. It's basically just like doing an even swap, my old G4 for a new mini, and then I still have the $500 I intended to use on a cpu upgrade to pimp out the mini with. So for the same price I can have a pimped out G4 (digital Audio) or mini Imac (which has a faster system bus and is nice and small). :D

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:10 am

I'm definitely getting one to use as a web server...!
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:52 am

coniferouspine wrote:
I already figured it out, adding just wireless, a superdrive and applecare tops the 599 model off at 970 something, that's pre ram, keyboard and display

So skipping applecare is usally a bad idea, but...

edit: it should be noted that iDVD only works with internal superdrives. no 'oh I'll buy an external burner later'

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:15 pm

comes with free keyboard, mouse and printer at macmall.com

cheaper too

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:28 pm

A.L. wrote:
coniferouspine wrote: edit: it should be noted that iDVD only works with internal superdrives. no 'oh I'll buy an external burner later'
Yeah but in a year everyone will be taking theirs apart and installing new hard drives and optical drives anyway. No biggie to hold off and add it later.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:53 pm

i'll probably wind up buying a display later on after getting the Mini so i thought i'd get an S-Video cable and just hook it up to one of my TV's in the house...i'm thinking i want a 20" cinema display...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:03 pm

formzero wrote:ummm...."security slot" ???????? :shake:
all macs have those now, for institutional use, like school libraries.