Flaming Lips Photo Book

bellulah
gettin' sounds

Flaming Lips Photo Book

Post by bellulah » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:00 am

so does anyone else have that limited edition lips picture book? it is the best thing ever. i mean ever.

there are tons of great pictures, classic ones you want to see of concert moments you remember (like the first time there was a guy dressed up like an animal) and ones you wish you'd been at (cochella bubble).

but my favourite picture is from when they were doing the parking lot experiments. they're in a parking garage (for acoustic reasons they explain) and there are these junky cars hanging out all in a line. and wayne coyne is standing directly behind them, with a megaphone in one hand. on the floor of the garage, all you can see is this little 4-track recorder. and to look at that picture and think of the creativity that is going on in that garage, and the orchestration, and so much of it came from dissecting things on that very 4-track.

the book was pricey but if they're your band it is a must have.

chris harris
speech impediment

Re: Flaming Lips Photo Book

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:12 am

did you get the pic disc too?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:04 am

Where can I find the book? Still in print?

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:16 am

Best thing ever? hmmm..
beware bee wear

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:16 am

mjau wrote:Where can I find the book? Still in print?
http://www.flaminglips.com/store/

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:51 am

The lead singer bugs the shit out of me. Way too much ego. When his band was backing Beck last year, he kept getting in the way and making it about him. Way too much ego, if you ask me.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:57 am

TrumpsHair wrote:The lead singer bugs the shit out of me. Way too much ego. When his band was backing Beck last year, he kept getting in the way and making it about him. Way too much ego, if you ask me.
I always thought that was the reason for going to a Lips show...a completely over the top, fun, loud experience. Plus, when you're next to Michael Ivins on stage, anyone would look like they're taking over. The dude never moves. Incredible bassist, though.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:45 pm

Yeah, Wayne is in no way an ego guy. I can see how you would get that impression by his almost uncontrollable urge to be the entertainer, but I saw the Beck tour also and feel that it would have been 150% if Beck wasn't there...and I'm a fan.
Beck had stated that he had partied too much the night before or something, so we got screwed and he was lifeless. (the show was in Detroit) I spent the 2nd half of the show in the lobby and just let it be the background music so he didn't totally ruin my appreciation of him.
Plus, what a bad idea for Beck to play AFTER the Lips, I mean...really. They are just so over the top...hard act to follow.
I've got some interviews on DVD and have read a good amount of them also of Wayne. He has that 'why can't we all just get along' kind of personality from what I can tell. I saw them again 2 years ago and the way he talks to the audience about having a good time and feeling uninhibited really defines more of who he is.
He's just about enjoying life I would say.
Beck, yeah...I love the music and I think if he didn't want Wayne, an obvious frontman, behind him...he wouldn't have had him there. So maybe we just need to think about what the desire of the artist was and accept that.
If you saw the Austin City Limits they played on, Beck comments on Wayne's behavior. After one of his more mellow songs that Beck got himself all in the space of during it's performance, Wayne behind him said "great job Beck!" through the megaphone. That's not ego...it's just over the top fun.
That's my take on it.

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:06 pm

I saw Beck and the Lips together on Halloween 2002, and they were both way over the top. It was great. Beck did this whole disco dancing, while playing a synth, singing through a vocoder bit that was hysterical.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:43 pm

crookedsound wrote:Yeah, Wayne is in no way an ego guy. I can see how you would get that impression by his almost uncontrollable urge to be the entertainer, but I saw the Beck tour also and feel that it would have been 150% if Beck wasn't there...and I'm a fan.
Before that tour, they did a live performance on KCRW FM, in LA. During the conversation portion, where the dj was asking Beck questions, Wayne kept interrupting - and going off on personal tangents. This was during Beck's interview. Beck was very patient and polite, but I was becoming enraged, as I kept listening. I wanted to hear Beck talking about his music and tour, but you'd think it was a Wayne interview. It sure came off as ego.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:27 am

Everything I've heard from the Lips guy makes him sound pretty damn cool and mellow. I get the feeling he doesn't really care for Beck. I think in a Mojo interview he implied that Beck was very "rock star" and not treating crew and such that well. This ticked him off, but he said something to the effect that Beck was moving into another level and trying to deal with it.

I saw one of these shows however and I thought it was great. They were both quite fun. My hunch is, when it was on, it was brilliant, when it was off, it was a drag (obvious comment huh?).

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:42 pm

I saw the show at the Chicago Theatre, and I thought Beck just ruined the Flaming Lips (and I'm a fan). That was probably the 3rd time I had seen them open their set with "Two Scientists are Racing". Very boring at that point. The open-heart surgery footage? Boring. Even the bunnies seemed like a boring idea. Beck, however, killed. That Sea Change album is just great, and I thought he did a nice job.

The problem (imo) with the Flaming Lips is that they have such a huge, awesome sound on record that when you see them and there's, ahem, no drummer it's a pretty big let down. A couple of years ago they actually used filmed footage of their drummer during some of the songs. WTF?

I guess if you're on acid or E it might be interesting, but if your looking for awesome musicianship on display in a live setting I personally think they leave something to be desire. Though I should add it was the highlight of my year to see them back up Beck, mainly because it wasn't so obnoxious - it was just a couple of guys playing their instruments really well while Wayne, uh, tried to find something to do.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:04 pm

Don't (Lips) they do a song called "Do you Realize..?" or something like that?

Even though I think that Wayne guy is a putz, I think this song and performance is pretty brilliant, and it really touches something that any songwriter would be proud to pull off.

bassface
takin' a dinner break

Post by bassface » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:38 pm

I love wayne, but the lips live were a big disappointment to me musically. Couldn't get with everything being played to a click track; drummer was there though

Liz Phair acoustic opening was great though.
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

--Major Frank Burns

dirty
steve albini likes it

Post by dirty » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:43 pm

I saw the Lips with Wilco and Sleater/Kinney on New Year's in Madison Square Garden, and they were just perfect for a party/rock show:
ton's of balloons, costumes, girls dancing in pasties, but they played really well, too. That drummer is... [shaking head] BANANAS!

And then Wilco played a decidedly un-Wilco set of covers (Judas Priest, Blue Oyster Cultm, etc...) after midnight. Awesome!

By the way, Jeff Stirrat dancing is one of my favorite rock moments...