Have they 'enhanced' ET?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Have they 'enhanced' ET?

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:08 pm

ET was on TV this afternoon and there's this scene where Elliot and ET are in the bathroom that i don't recall seeing before and ET gets all sort of digital looking, really isn't the same little plasticy guy that he is throughout the rest of the film, did they 'enhance' it more recently or something?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Have they 'enhanced' ET?

Post by Ivon » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:30 pm

Rigsby wrote:ET was on TV this afternoon and there's this scene where Elliot and ET are in the bathroom that i don't recall seeing before and ET gets all sort of digital looking, really isn't the same little plasticy guy that he is throughout the rest of the film, did they 'enhance' it more recently or something?
Yes, they did insert some CGI ETs in the new edition. There are some other difference too that are discussed at Amazon.

I haven't seen the new edition personally. I love the classic though.[/url]

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:40 pm

Thanks for that, i figured they'd screwed with it, what a waste of time. I was never a huge fan of the movie anyway, but it was fine as it was, and adding stuff like that just makes those scenes look so out of place. Like the guy on amazon says, the CGI ET lacks the stiffness of the original, he suddenly gets all supple and fast moving for a minute or two and then he's hobbling from side to side again when they cut back to the original. Pathetic. Why do they insist on doing this CGI crap to older films? It's like they do it and then don't actually watch and see if it fits in or not.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:49 pm

Rigsby said, "Why do they insist on doing this CGI crap to older films?"

I don't know. I guess maybe I can relate...whenever I used to get a new musical gadget I would overuse the shit out of it. But when things are overused it definitely takes the cool factor out and replaces it with cheese. CGI isn't necessarily new - I think it was first used in TRON. But, a lot of those older movies never used it, so when it's inserted it's kind of cheesy. But I love how CGI is used in newer movies.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:54 pm

It's amazing that Senor Speilbergo would let another director change his movie like that. I wonder if the 1982 steven would be suing the 2002 steven for copyright infringement?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:00 am

I think the South Park episode with Lucas and Spielberg pretty much summed it up.