Post by bassface » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:50 am

That bitch.
It's nice to be nice to the nice.

--Major Frank Burns

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Re: Would you kill someone?

Post by Fieryjack » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:55 am

My guitar player and I have made part of our live show slapping eachother really hard on stage.
That sounds really stupid

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:07 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:
dwlb wrote:8.7

nah. 6.8

I gave extra points for how quickly he posted it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:26 pm

TrumpsHair wrote:If I could get away with it, I'd kill Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Frist, Falwell, Wolfowitz, Pearl, Bob Novack, Hannity, and definitely David Drier, and who else...

...I guess that's about it.
John Poindexter is on the way to your house in a large, black, Chevy suburban. Your life is about to turn into a Joel Schumacher movie (or however the hell you spell those guys' names).

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:35 pm

Fieryjack wrote:
My guitar player and I have made part of our live show slapping eachother really hard on stage.
That sounds really stupid
It's not what you think. It's not a bunch of smiley skinny scene kids running around slappin faces and grabbin' asses. We've only done it a few times, and it's one slappin' per show in between songs.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

high tek
takin' a dinner break

Post by high tek » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:39 pm

i would never kill any person.

i guess if it was a situation if its either you or him (like someone pointing a gun at you) than maybe for protecting your own life, but just because someone did something really bad....i dont know.

i think i would rather see them suffer in prison and get more of a satisfaction by knowing theyre getting fuct up the arse than simply ending their life.

trumps hair - i know you were not serious in your post (i dont want to quote you in case u want to erase it)
but living in the paranoid police state that you live in - you might want to rephrase your words cause people have been investigated for less.
(i know this sounds paranoid - but we live in paranoid times)

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Yup, threatening the President is not a good idea...

I studied martial arts (Karate and Aiki-do) for a few years, and definitely put some thought into this topic. Even got sent to a one-day handgun class as part of the "junior instructor" program.

I figured out a few interesting things.

One is that handguns are not very useful - the NRA book puts a lot of attention on planning and preparing your house so that a handgun would be useful in defense. But if you're walking down the street with a gun in your pocket you're still basically defenseless, because by the time somebody reveals themself as a threat they'll be right in your face (or behind your back with a club). The police have a rule of thumb about when to draw their gun, and if an attacker is within 15-20 it's usually too late to get the gun out, take the safety off, and aim.

Another thing was just that I myself knew a little too much to not be careful. Aiki-do is "the way of harmony", but even in the most philosophical classes you're practicing how to throw people to the ground. It's one thing to know how to fall safely on a mat, but quite another to throw an untrained drunk onto his spine on a concrete sidewalk.

So when I was thinking about home defense I ended up with a "jo", a 4-foot staff. I'd thought about getting a sword, or even better a "naginata", a sword blade on the end of a staff - great for reaching through a door or over furniture. But hey, it would leave a nasty mess and probably kill or cripple somebody who likely didn't deserve that much punishment. Not to mention what would happen when the relatives sued me.

On the street there are a few non-lethal options. One is a really bright flashlight. As a stagehand I already own a Surefire, one of those insanely bright little flashlights carried by SWAT teams. Hit somebody in the eyes with that and they're going to have a hard time seeing you running away. Another handy defensive item is a briefcase - with a little practice you can swing one of those right up with a fair amount of weight behind it... especially if it's got a few heavy mics inside. And of course the main thing is to pay attention and see your surroundings, instead having your head down and a cell phone clamped to your ear.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:00 pm

I've had it out for Larry Crane.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:01 pm

Let me make it very clear that that was a joke.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:02 pm

i'm a skinny twerp. anybody i could kill probably wouldn't make much of a practice of threatening people in the first place. i'm 35 and have yet to throw a punch. only taken one. cracked my nose. i'll get you one day Kenny Porter, oh yes i will.

ps to trumpshair, i'm with ya but i'm paranoid about that shit too. where is the "beware CIA goons" emoticon?

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:18 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'm a skinny twerp. anybody i could kill probably wouldn't make much of a practice of threatening people in the first place. i'm 35 and have yet to throw a punch. only taken one. cracked my nose. i'll get you one day Kenny Porter, oh yes i will.

ps to trumpshair, i'm with ya but i'm paranoid about that shit too. where is the "beware CIA goons" emoticon?
Stuff like that really does happen. I used to be room mates with a very active member of AIM (American Indian Movement). One time he flew down to San Francisco where a meeting was to be held. When he arrived, his fellow AIM members weren't waiting for him - instead he was warmly greeted by FBI agents who then kindly detained him for questioning.

But, that happened under the Clinton administration. The current administration would likely be much more lenient with regards to opposing political activists. :wink:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:31 pm

iwokojance wrote:The current administration would likely be much more lenient with regards to opposing political activists. :wink:
as if anyone could possibly oppose the current administation.

keep up the good work fellas!

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:35 pm

Scodiddly wrote:I studied martial arts (Karate and Aiki-do) for a few years,
i practice aikido with a guy who used to teach aikido in norway. his dojo was in a cave! was that where you practiced?

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:49 pm

Would you kill someone?
How do you know I already haven't? Image

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:28 pm

tiger vomitt wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:I studied martial arts (Karate and Aiki-do) for a few years,
i practice aikido with a guy who used to teach aikido in norway. his dojo was in a cave! was that where you practiced?
Nope, I'm only here for a couple months working. I trained at a place in Michigan.