wing + other website makers

bedbug
buyin' a studio

wing + other website makers

Post by bedbug » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:58 pm

I'm working on a somewhat pathetic website for my band, and I want us to have a cool looking logo. I'm a little weary of downloading fonts, because won't people without whatever special font that is downloaded on their computer be unable to see it? I'm not really sure how this works. I don't want it to just be in times roman on like half the people who see it's computer.

What else can I do to have a really boss looking logo? Subquestion: if anyone is bored and/or generous, would you be willing to throw something together for me ... like just a jpg, bmp or gif? Nothing that you'd want to devote like a whole day to or anything ... it's not going to be seen by very many people. Let me know.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Re: wing + other website makers

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Yeah, just type up something in a strange and save it as a graphic.

People often forget this, but you can also make graphics by hand!!! Most of the graphics on my website, I drew out, scanned in, and added color. Some times, a human touch can be very appealing, and will stand out these days.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:24 pm

ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:Yeah, just type up something in a strange and save it as a graphic.

People often forget this, but you can also make graphics by hand!!! Most of the graphics on my website, I drew out, scanned in, and added color. Some times, a human touch can be very appealing, and will stand out these days.
I really dig logos drawn out by hand ala Pavement or Archers of Loaf. But we have kind of a psychedlic look in mind, where the letters are bigger at the bottom than the top and stuff like that.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:32 pm

Well, remember that the psychidelic era lacked computers, and was entirely done by hand. I bet you could come up with an awesome logo with some water colors and some acid.

Would something circusy be right???

I really think that had made art is becoming forgotten, and just the idea of doing stuff by hand excites me so much, so sorry if I'm being a bit pushy on the subject.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:45 pm

No, I totally agree. If it were up to me, it would be done in MS paint ... or just scribbled on paper and scanned in. But there's three of us in the band ... so we kind of have to decide certain things collectively. I mean, I already write and sing everything and play the solos and stuff ... the other guys should have a say in some things. Anyway ...

Circusy would totally be cool - like a late 19th early 20th century feel ... something that could go along with one of those bicycles with the big wheel in the front.

or, if not that then just kind of generic oozing letters like the Byrds and 13 Floor Elevators used.

A medieval look could also work.

I don't want to discourage anyone from doing anything by hand. That would be awesome too.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:20 pm

Gosh, I might have a good font I could lend you. Do you run mac or PC??

Its a mac os 9 font, and I don't know how it works, but mac os X picks it up. Let me see if I can't make a sample of it, if I can find it.

kingquasar
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kingquasar » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:38 pm

Hey Bedbug,
I just noticed you're a Newport boy. I grew up in Cincinnati. Fond, fond memories of playing at the Southgate house, York Street, and all the other northern KY haunts. Some of my old bandmates are playing as Debalto, now. Ever check them out? I think they mostly stick to the Ohio side of things. Anyway, I threw something together, which may or may not be worth a damn. The colors can be changed easily, I just went with a mild color scheme to fit into your monochromatic site. Feel free to use it or tell me it's shit. I still have the PSD file, so changes would be easy. Here you go...

-kQ

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:42 pm

Kingquasar,

That looks sweet. Unfortunately, it's not for the band that's linked in my profile, Abbington. We're sorta on a hiatus. I probably should've mentioned that. The new band is called St. Jude's Vigilance Committee.
kingquasar wrote:Hey Bedbug,
I just noticed you're a Newport boy. I grew up in Cincinnati. Fond, fond memories of playing at the Southgate house, York Street, and all the other northern KY haunts. Some of my old bandmates are playing as Debalto, now. Ever check them out?

-kQ
Oh man, I get PMs all the time about Newport. It is a great place. Southgate and York St. both rock. There have definitely been some great times there. I haven't heard of Debalto, but I don't make it to as many shows as I should. I'll keep an eye out for them. What do they sound like?