My *&%$@ monitor died!!!

bluetarp
gimme a little kick & snare

My *&%$@ monitor died!!!

Post by bluetarp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:05 am

Maybe this belongs in the *&%$@ computer forum.

I turned my back on my computer to have dinner and >poof< no monitor. No nuthin, no power, no switchy-switch.....

I've got a little spare from the early days, I can use it with reading glasses until I fix or replace. It's tiny. This is awful.

Does anybody know anything about fixing computer monitors? I bet there's a capacitor or two in there that I shouldn't oughta play with.... Due to the immediate and total failure of the thing, I'm guessing it's power-related, but I'm so ignorant, I swear.
Perspective is nine tenths of perception.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: My *&%$@ monitor died!!!

Post by wing » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:29 am

bluetarp wrote:Maybe this belongs in the *&%$@ computer forum.

I turned my back on my computer to have dinner and >poof< no monitor. No nuthin, no power, no switchy-switch.....

I've got a little spare from the early days, I can use it with reading glasses until I fix or replace. It's tiny. This is awful.

Does anybody know anything about fixing computer monitors? I bet there's a capacitor or two in there that I shouldn't oughta play with.... Due to the immediate and total failure of the thing, I'm guessing it's power-related, but I'm so ignorant, I swear.
i've had like 3 monitors die on me in my life time... anyway, fixing is not something you can just do, because they are actually pretty dangerous to play around with. the tube holds crazy amounts of voltage (even when not plugged in) and you can be easily shocked i hear. plus i've opened one up one time, and it's a mystery how i could have diagnosed or fixed it.

anyway, you're probably better off just buying a new monitor. if you live in a decent sized city, you should have a monitor repair shop somewhere in town. i do, and when i've taken a monitor there, it would cost like $80+ to repair. for about $100 i can get a new one at fry's.

bluetarp

Post by bluetarp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:34 am

Yeah, thanks. I live in the freakin boonies. The willy-wacks. So it's ebay for me. $109 plus shipping. An upgrade!

Everything I've read basically says it's not worth fixing. Landfill.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:49 am

if you can though, do like i did when i trashed mine that were broken: take them out to an open area outside, stand up high from like a roof/balcony, and drop it onto the pavement or whatever. it's pretty cool. I love destroying stuff that I'm going to throw away, it's fun to watch it explode!

bluetarp

Post by bluetarp » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:19 am

How about a ceremonial firing squad - the local militia are always looking for something to shoot......

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:40 am

FWIW, if you're looking for a replacement monitor I give good reviews to KDS and their service dept. Mine died a couple of months before the warranty went out. I contacted them and they FedExed me a replacement without sending the old monitor back. They had me pack the old monitor in the box the "new" monitor came in and they paid to FedEx it back. Absoltely no charge whatsoever. Nice whenever someone does something right.

Pat Singletary