pete townsend

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: pete townsend

Post by stillafool » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:35 pm

I walked out on the Who on their 4th or 5th "final tour" -- I think it was around 89 or 90. I had a free ticket, so I didn't really care, but every one who bought a ticket since their first "farewell" tour (I think it was 1979!!) should be entitled to a refund. That's a breach of warranty as far as I'm concerned. That's not why I walked out though. They weren't particularly bad -- just boring.
ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:
JASIII wrote:But he's a motherfucker of a guitar player and wrote some of the best rock songs ever. I'll excuse him for having looked at some fucked up website......

His songs are boring , though.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:10 pm

I saw The Who on their first (?) farewell tour. Roger and Pete were arguing between songs. At the end of one song, Roger gets really pissed and smashes his mic on floor and walks off stage. At the end of the song the other guys look around, like "wheres Roger?" After a few minutes Pete says to the audience, "I'm going backstage to have a smoke, so fuck the lot of you!". They took a 20 minute break and came back to finish the show. That was so rockin.
my band: Mission 5

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:45 pm

rolandk wrote:I saw The Who on their first (?) farewell tour. Roger and Pete were arguing between songs. At the end of one song, Roger gets really pissed and smashes his mic on floor and walks off stage. At the end of the song the other guys look around, like "wheres Roger?" After a few minutes Pete says to the audience, "I'm going backstage to have a smoke, so fuck the lot of you!". They took a 20 minute break and came back to finish the show. That was so rockin.
Yeah...

sounds very rockstar. Personally, I would walk out on that shit (and I like some of their tunes). What did they have to bitch about except the respective size of their royalty checks? Fuck that. Though, it would be funny to watch on film provided I didn't have to front any ducats and waste my time standing around with my ticket up me arse.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:48 pm

Call me a weirdo, but I actually like "Psychoderelict", or at least the live concert video they made.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:11 pm

The Who are a cliche and have been for 40 or 50 years. The sex-symbol singer with the puffy hairdo, the conversion to Eastern mysticism, the 25 farewell tours each one more banal than the other -- you think these clowns would pack it in and just enjoy their money.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:37 pm

stillafool wrote:The Who are a cliche and have been for 40 or 50 years. The sex-symbol singer with the puffy hairdo, the conversion to Eastern mysticism.
but yo, they are the progenitors of the cliche. that's gotta count for something

and it behoves the offspring to eat their parents. :cry:

but yeah, I had last minute tickets to see them @ MSG a couple years ago. Walked out when the Wallflowers started playing their lame, movie theme version of Heroes. Just wasn't in the mood. And I like(d) the Wallflowers...

I heard the Who were pretty worth seeing that night though.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:01 pm

I wouldn't give them the credit of being "progenitors" of anything, other than stupid, humorless, pretentious songs.
jasonlewis wrote:
stillafool wrote:The Who are a cliche and have been for 40 or 50 years. The sex-symbol singer with the puffy hairdo, the conversion to Eastern mysticism.
but yo, they are the progenitors of the cliche. that's gotta count for something

and it behoves the offspring to eat their parents. :cry:

but yeah, I had last minute tickets to see them @ MSG a couple years ago. Walked out when the Wallflowers started playing their lame, movie theme version of Heroes. Just wasn't in the mood. And I like(d) the Wallflowers...

I heard the Who were pretty worth seeing that night though.

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:54 pm

But if you like the Who -- what the fuck. I used to like Kiss when I was a kid (I was in the Kiss Army). They still made some pretty good sounding records.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:50 pm

I thought the Who were just trying to hard, from the beginning. The rebellion and all that junk, it was all for show. They weren't rebels, they were assholes, and it was stupid. Same with Jim Morison, god I fucking hate him.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:01 pm

ec?amoR ecnaL wrote: The rebellion and all that junk, it was all for show. They weren't rebels, they were assholes, and it was stupid. Same with Jim Morison, god I fucking hate him.
I couldn't agree more about Jim Morrison. I liked the band a lot more than his shitty drunken nonsensical lyrics that some seem to think is poetry. Now, Jethro Tull - they were fucking poets. :)

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:03 pm

iwokojance wrote:
ec?amoR ecnaL wrote: The rebellion and all that junk, it was all for show. They weren't rebels, they were assholes, and it was stupid. Same with Jim Morison, god I fucking hate him.
I couldn't agree more about Jim Morrison. I liked the band a lot more than his shitty drunken nonsensical lyrics that some seem to think is poetry. Now, Jethro Tull - they were fucking poets. :)
Fuck you.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:09 pm

ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:
iwokojance wrote:
Fuck you.
Okay. I'll try, but I'm afraid it might hurt at first. Oh, and Emerson Lake and Palmer - fucking poetic genious there! Morrison can suck Palmer's wang.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:18 pm

iwokojance wrote:
ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:
iwokojance wrote:
Fuck you.
Okay. I'll try, but I'm afraid it might hurt at first. Oh, and Emerson Lake and Palmer - fucking poetic genious there! Morrison can suck Palmer's wang.
Just stop it!! Stop it!

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:30 pm

ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:
iwokojance wrote:
ec?amoR ecnaL wrote:
iwokojance wrote:
Fuck you.
Just stop it!! Stop it!
YES, I get your drift. I'm done and I'm Thorry. No one will take me seriously now. I'm ruined.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:31 pm

8)