Sweet Hunter S. Thompson quote

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Sweet Hunter S. Thompson quote

Post by wing » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:09 am

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

--Hunter S. Thompson

hehe

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Sweet Hunter S. Thompson quote

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:16 am

That's great. He certainly had a special way of putting things.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:23 am

I just finished reading "Fear & Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72" for the third time. When that man gets going, he can be one the best writers out there in sporadic, incredible fashion.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:26 am

mjau wrote:I just finished reading "Fear & Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72" for the third time. When that man gets going, he can be one the best writers out there in sporadic, incredible fashion.
Interesting. I was going to reference that book. Only Thompson could make reading about the '72 presidential campaigns a joy. It's not so much the information of the campaign itself that was interesting - it's the way Thompson described it from his perspective. Great book!

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:39 am

Oooh! good idea!

Hunter T. is the man - he has a way of telling it like it is....
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:51 am

"This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it -- that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable."

Hunter S. Thompson
Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail
November 1972
boobs are life's fountain

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:58 am

Awesome...I didn't know there were other people out there who are really into this book - most of the time, you mention HST and people automatically think Johnny Depp and the Las Vegas movie. I've read a lot of books about campaigns and such, and none come close to his from '72 in actually being interesting, revealing, and...god forbid...provoking.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:42 am

THompson is one of my favorite writers. I love that guy. Have any of you read The Great Shark Hunt? So many of those stories are just incredibly hilarious. Hah!
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:53 am

I think I saw that quote as someone's signature here recently
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:53 pm

There's also "Boys On The Bus" by Tim Crouse that's another really good book about the '72 campaign. Not as good as "...Campaign Trail", but they are very similar in tone, and have many common stories. Crouse even talks a little about Thompson. I was assigned to read this book in a college Poly-Sci class.

I own an autographed "...Campaign Trail" that I found at some antique shop for 50 cents. Those folks sure didn't know what it was...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:57 pm

andrew embassy wrote:THompson is one of my favorite writers. I love that guy. Have any of you read The Great Shark Hunt? So many of those stories are just incredibly hilarious. Hah!
The Great Shark Hunt is one of my favorites, definitely.

I really like Generation of Swine, too. Hell, ALL his stuff is good!
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:52 pm

you rat bastard.

for some reason I have been calling people rat bastards today. BTW I like the Johnny Depp movie, I think he's one of the few actors who could pull it off.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:55 am

djimbe wrote:There's also "Boys On The Bus" by Tim Crouse that's another really good book about the '72 campaign. Not as good as "...Campaign Trail", but they are very similar in tone, and have many common stories. Crouse even talks a little about Thompson. I was assigned to read this book in a college Poly-Sci class.

I own an autographed "...Campaign Trail" that I found at some antique shop for 50 cents. Those folks sure didn't know what it was...
Nice...I didn't know the Crouse stuff was turned into a book (I think it was a seriel of articles first, right?). I'll have to find that.
When I taught 8th grade history for a year, I told my students that someday they all should read HST's book on '72. I'm not sure if they did, but I do know that on a Friday I said "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is a great movie", and by Monday half of them had watched it. That's power.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:57 am

Zoltar wrote:you rat bastard.

for some reason I have been calling people rat bastards today. BTW I like the Johnny Depp movie, I think he's one of the few actors who could pull it off.
There used to be a local college radio show guy that went by the moniker "Rat Bastard" about 10-15 years ago. He'd ask people to call up for requests, put them on air, and then insult their tastes and their moms and laugh and yell at them, saying things like "SHUTUP ASSHOLE!!! I'M RAT BASTARRRRD!" he was soon fired after the station received so many complaints.

but i miss him-- he was so hardcore. radio needs more spice like him.

puls
takin' a dinner break

Post by puls » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:38 am

"my condolences to the next generation that has to spend its entire life with the thought that the sun can give you cancer, the rain is poison, & sex can kill you."

from a compilation tape of speakers put out in the late 80's - can't remember the title.

JWP
The universe is under no obligation to conform to your beliefs