fixing a cd changer

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

fixing a cd changer

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:16 pm

my cd changer will not read discs. I have opened it up and find that the disc is lifted, but doesn't spin. The laser comeson, but ignores it. I figure the not spinning problem is probably the problem. It probably broke while I was moving. I don't see any belts. Maybe that's the problem??? ANy ideas, or, any one want to come fix it?

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: fixing a cd changer

Post by Ivon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:22 pm

What brand is it? High, mid, or low end in price?

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:29 pm

High end 93 sony 5 disc.

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:58 pm

I would ask a professional or friend then, if it's a high-end. I just piped in cause I had a shit Awai changer. The thing quit working after about two years, and not worth the price of repairs. Learned you get what you pay for with high-end stuff. Anything less and you're stuck with a disposable "fill in the blank". Your's might be worth the money.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:12 pm

Its not worth money to me to have a working CD player. Not like it was 12 years ago, when I got it for my bar Mitzvah. First time it broke in 12 years, it would be nice just to make it work, or else I'll have to bring back a trash one from my parents house next time I go home, which I dont want to do.

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:36 am

There's a little white bar with teeth that moves the laser housing back n forth to track properly. If it's that old I can guarantee that once you clean this thing off and then apply some lube to it it'll track like new. I had the same thing happen to me and I took it to a tech they did that and it's worked like a champ ever since.
www.myspace.com/capitalcitystudjoe

"this rizz in the foldback is bollocks mate."

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:23 pm

I didn't see a bar, but there's a toothed wheel. I turned it, and the laser fixture moved. When I put on a CD, it spun!!! But not for long, then the player rejected it and hasn't spun since.

So, that seems like the problem. Now, how do I lube it? I've not done that before. WE-40?

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:05 pm

WD-40 is probably better than WE-40. Maybe some UB-40. But seriously, it's 12 years old, the motor may just be fried... if the lube job doesn't work, drop like $50 on ebay and replace it with something newer...