a recording session I did

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

a recording session I did

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:59 am

So I did a first recording with this chick tonight, and am hoping for feed back from you suckas. This is a pre-production.

Just guitar and vocals. I recorded with the shure 55 reissue on vocals, with the RCA 44 BX about 4 feet back, until I moved it to about 6 or 7 feet later on. Both mic's mixed through Ampex MX-10, down to a Tascam 22-2. That's a two track !/4", at high speed which I think is 15 IPS (about 10 min on a 7" reel). No control room.

1. http://www.giantrats.com/smith_r/shaking.mp3
2. http://www.giantrats.com/smith_r/thank.mp3
3. http://www.giantrats.com/smith_r/through.mp3

Biggest problem is hiss, but this machine has no NR. I would prefer a different vocal mic, could be a bit louder.

Bitch's name is Rebecca Smith.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Re: a recording session I did

Post by MichaelAlan » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:18 am

WHOA...She has a pretty cool tone! I was just thinking yesterday, there are no women anymore with original tone. kinda like women from the 40's...

MIke
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:08 am

MichaelAlan wrote:WHOA...She has a pretty cool tone! I was just thinking yesterday, there are no women anymore with original tone. kinda like women from the 40's...

MIke
Doesn't she though??? You should hear Debe Dalton, who I hope to record soon.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:14 pm

nice original music. guitar arrangement are cool. sounds like some piano voicings in there. nasty slide player. vocals sound too far away, somewhat buried under the guitar. the hiss isn't awful, but some NR plugin could probably get rid of most of it in the computer. try a low-cut @80 or 100hz and high cut at 10 or 12K. nothing useful going on outside of that range. i'd prefer a closer, more up-front vocal sound--for a demo of a singer/songwriter the vocals should be more present in the mix. panning the two mics very slightly (like 10 and 2 or 11 and 1) might add some depth.

reminds me of someone i recorded--Vered. www.veredmusic.com. except this chick is way sadder. it's like beth gibbons meets robert johnson. nice.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:08 pm

andyg666 wrote:nice original music. guitar arrangement are cool. sounds like some piano voicings in there. nasty slide player. vocals sound too far away, somewhat buried under the guitar. the hiss isn't awful, but some NR plugin could probably get rid of most of it in the computer. try a low-cut @80 or 100hz and high cut at 10 or 12K. nothing useful going on outside of that range. i'd prefer a closer, more up-front vocal sound--for a demo of a singer/songwriter the vocals should be more present in the mix. panning the two mics very slightly (like 10 and 2 or 11 and 1) might add some depth.

reminds me of someone i recorded--Vered. www.veredmusic.com. except this chick is way sadder. it's like beth gibbons meets robert johnson. nice.
Yeah, I was kind of nervous making the vocal too close up, just cause I don't really like perfect vocals in that style of music. BUT, the more I listen to this recording, the more it bothers me how far way they ended up. She is a mumbler.

That guitar sounds beautiful, though, I'm really happy with the way that came out.

Its not going to go through any computer editing of any sort. I could EQ, but since this is really a demo recording simply for production purposes, I don't really need to fix these up much. Still, I don't have an equalizer, I should probably get one. I ordered an Ampex ATR-700 yesterday. I don't think it has NR but it was cheap enough and will still be a lot nicer to suffice till I pick up something more high end. That 22-2 just isn't cutting it.