putting a cage in your van??

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

putting a cage in your van??

Post by Bad Halen » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:50 pm

Does anyone know of a website that has diy plans for installing some sort of security cage for band equipment? Or, have you ever heard of anyone doing this?

I've been looking but can't find anything.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Re: putting a cage in your van??

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:24 pm

I don't get a cage, but I just get a tiger to stay in the back with the band equipment. That way, if some one comes in the tiger jumps on them and eats them!!! That makes feeding the tiger cheap. You can train them to not maul you by showing them love and affection. They are warm and cuddly, and always make a nice pillow. Much cooler than a cage too. Careful if he vomits. You don't want tiger vomit.

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:46 pm

I was in a band that built wooden boxes in the back our vans. It was easy and worked out great. The advantage of the box is that it hides gear from view and separates it from the rest of the van. We had a door in the back with padlocks, but in reality our locks would have just slowed down a determined thief. Just having the gear hidden is great, though. A break in would be speculative.

We didn't have any plan building-wise. Van interiors are not square at all, with all of the wheel wells and rounded surfaces. What worked for us was making one part at a time, then measuring for the next. We used 3/4" plywood and metal brackets to make a box with a shelf. As crude as the result was, it did the job.

As much as we liked the box, we never ever left the gear-filled van on the street in a big city, not even to have lunch. There are too many sad stolen guitar stories out there.

PC

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:05 pm

ec?amoR ecnaL wrote: Careful if he vomits. You don't want tiger vomit.
nice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Get somebody to paint "Al's Discount Drain Cleaning" on the side. Then get some grubby-looking hoses and mount them over the insides of the windows, as if the van is stuffed full of drain cleaning equipment.

Then build a little shelf under the van and keep a fresh supply of feces on it for the correct odor.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:36 am

maz wrote:
ec?amoR ecnaL wrote: Careful if he vomits. You don't want tiger vomit.
nice.
:lol:

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:09 am

A double "human" dose of Dramamine normally takes care of VTS (Vomiting Tiger Syndrome).

You definitely DON'T want VTS from a security tiger...

Vomit = Evidence.
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Wire
gettin' sounds

Post by Wire » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:09 am

Dont' waste your $$ on building a steel case or even a wood one. The idea is if they can't get in they can steal it. Why let someone break your door then find out they can't steal your stuff.

In NYC about every van has these hardcore locks on all the doors (aftermarket add on) if people see those they will run like children, because unless you have a cutting torch or explosives you aren't going to get through it.

And some times having a locking steel "doorway" between the driver and cargo, then you only need to do the back doors.

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:33 am

thanks for the tip, Wire.

you wouldn't happen to have a link to said lock??

The reason I want to cage the shit in is because I just heard that Camper Van B. just had someone steal their shit right thru the side of their trailer. Used a sawzawl or something.

Anyone else?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:45 am

Scodiddly wrote:Get somebody to paint "Al's Discount Drain Cleaning" on the side. Then get some grubby-looking hoses and mount them over the insides of the windows, as if the van is stuffed full of drain cleaning equipment.

Then build a little shelf under the van and keep a fresh supply of feces on it for the correct odor.
genius!

nicksense15
gettin' sounds

Post by nicksense15 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:32 pm

wow, Im weird, I thought this post was going to be about bondage or something like that when I read the title.

Nick

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:19 pm

How about removing the door handles form the INSIDE of the van. That usually scares little kids.......
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

Wire
gettin' sounds

Post by Wire » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm

you wouldn't happen to have a link to said lock??

I don't have one off hand I will def look for you.

Wow.... wouldn't someone notice and be like why are you cutting that van with a Sawzall?? Haha thats crazy!

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:20 pm

Yeah, I think that once someone is willing to tear apart your vehicle with a sawzall then I think all bets are off. I mean, hell, the van isn't supposed to be Fort Knox. Park it in a supervised lot or garage.

PC

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:24 pm

JASIII wrote:How about removing the door handles form the INSIDE of the van. That usually scares little kids.......
The driver's side handle is removed, and I keep it in a compartment so I can still use it to get out. It would be funny to remove the rest of them and leave people in there.