Adobe Premier makes me homicidal

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Adobe Premier makes me homicidal

Post by YOUR KONG » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:27 pm

:evil: - kill him! :ar15: :schuettel: - why me?

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Re: Adobe Premier makes me homicidal

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:30 pm

do you have pro or 6.5? i'm fed up with 6.5 but i hear they made substantial improvements in the upgrade to 7.0 (pro).
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:36 pm

6.5 - I ran across some info on v7 while looking for some info on v6.5 (how to apply reverb across a track instead of a clip - impossible, I think). 7 actually seemed pretty usable - though it's a shame it took 7 versions to get to that point!!

Do you use it for work or fun?

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:06 pm

i use it at home mostly, just for cutting faux music videos (ala the video on this page). i'm stuck with 6.5 there but i've used 7 and it's a definite improvement. at work we either use ulead videostudio (a budget app but gets the job done) on the pcs or final cut 4 on the macs. turns out they never released premier pro (a.k.a. 7) for the mac so we pretty much gave up on the licenses we bought. regarding that reverb issue, i'll check it out when i get home and see if there isn't a way to work around it.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:01 pm

Thanks dude, that's nice of you. I think one workaround for me is to output the whole shebang and then load it the outputted file into Premier - so now it will all be on one track (at this part it's there's no sounds except for one guy talking - I just want to put a little verb on it since he's in a cavernous hall)

I'll check out the video tomorrow from work - I've been thinking about doing the same thing ("to learn it better" :D ).

Would you say ulead videostudio is more intuitive than Premiere?

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:06 pm

not that you were asking me but I think I remember you saying how much you loved Acid a hundred years ago. If that is you, or even if it's not, really really check out Sony Vegas. It's the app that gets all the pooh dropped on it by most editors but I think it rules. I get it done in vegas twice as fast as anything else (I use Final Cut at work).

will

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:11 pm

I wasn't alive a hundred years ago, but I do find Acid very easy to use - and I thought that Vegas was for pro audio, not video!! I'll look into it, tnx, that's good to know.

I doubt the Powers That Be have much dough allotted for my thrice-annual video work, but maybe if I hassle them enough and do my research I can make my life easier...

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:08 pm

syrupcore wrote:not that you were asking me but I think I remember you saying how much you loved Acid a hundred years ago. If that is you, or even if it's not, really really check out Sony Vegas. It's the app that gets all the pooh dropped on it by most editors but I think it rules. I get it done in vegas twice as fast as anything else (I use Final Cut at work).

will
Actually, it's got a pretty strong following - it only get's pooh-poohed on by the grizzled veterans and the recent art college grades - ie people who think they know everything.

I would have mentioned it before, but I assumed with Premiere that you must be using a Mac, since Vegas makes so much more sense than Premiere if you are using a pc.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:16 pm

I used premiere for years, and after using Vegas on the PC and especially Final Cut Pro on the mac, I'll never look back.

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:18 pm

kkkk- i checked it out and yea, there's no way to apply the effect across a track (how shitty). what i'd recommend is that you just finish editing the video and render the audio portion as a windows wav (file > export timeline > audio > settings > file type), then import the wav into your project timeline, apply the effect to the now whole clip while muting the original dry track.

as far as videostudio goes, i don't use it for any artistic editing, mostly just as a utility for trimming video or combining video. the main reason i use it is because it works well for mpeg video (a good real-time mpeg editor can be a bitch to find). if you're into artistic and / or high quality video, i'd say if you're stuck with a PC, take a look at the new version of premiere (it's far more intuitive) and if you've got a mac, FCP4 is worth every penny.

digital19
alignin' 24-trk

Post by digital19 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:43 am

Likewise, I did Premiere editing for the longest time... and suffered through strange quirky errors. I'm sure Final Cut Pro is an agenda item at all Avid board meetings.

Vegas for PC is also much more stable.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:08 am

digital19 wrote:Likewise, I did Premiere editing for the longest time... and suffered through strange quirky errors.
Like when you try to output the clip and overwrite an existing file, and Premiere sends an error message positing that your hard-disk may be full?

That one might be my favorite.