Dress Shirts for a small man

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Re: Dress Shirts for a small man

Post by llmonty » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:32 pm

yes zara is pretty cheap and kinda hip. is country road still around too (australian)
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:47 pm

cgarges wrote:I feel your pain.

I recently learned that Levis changed the true length of their inseam measurements. I learned this after buying four pair of non-returnable jeans from a Levi's outlet that was going out of business. I've been buying the same size jeans for YEARS and they pulled this on me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Totally.
i've been wearing 501's black 33/32 for many many many years.. i still try on each pair though cause i've done the same as you and was either a victim of bad quality control or mislabeling.. now with this inseam thing, i'm going to test them like octavas.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:21 pm

I'm a little on the short side and freakishly semetrically perfect (though I hope to change this with pbr), and I've given up on getting good-fitting clothes. I choose what I like on the rack and find the size that fits closest. Shirts, pants, whatever. Big hassle. Who are they using as models?

Shirts: too long. tight in the chest, or baggy. sleeves too long.

Pants (worse): huge inseam or none at all (sack-quash). except for jeans, I can usually fit both my legs in one side. length is almost always too long.
Last edited by jamoo on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:23 pm

sonichue wrote:I'm a little on the short side and freakishly semetrically perfect (though I hope to change this with pbr), and I've given up on getting good-fitting clothes. I choose what I like on the rack and find the size that fits closest. Shirts, pants, whatever. Big hassle. Who are they using as models?

Shirts: too long. tight in the chest, or baggy. sleeves too long.

Pants (worse): huge inseam or none at all (sack-quash). length is almost always too long.
sack quash is the way to go.. gets a little tight riding a bike though.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:28 pm

wing wrote:
Rigsby wrote:
wing wrote:
Rigsby wrote:I too feel your pain. In most senses i'm a perfect 15 and a half, any shirt that size will fit me absolutely perfectly except i won't be able to do the top button up. A 16 is fine in the neck and too big elsewhere. I don't think i have a particularly fat neck, so what's up with this? Luckily i rarely need to do the top button up anyway.
yeah, but you're lucky because your problem is easily corrected with one of those neck/collar extender things they sell at the front counter for like $1.
The what now?
something like this: http://www.mandrgames.com/wonderbutton.htm

they're really cheap, and will give you no more excuses to whine ;)
That's pretty funny. I'm sure i'll still find things to whine about though.

or...

So i whine now do i?

One of the two replies, choose your favourite.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:58 pm

Alright wing, another small guy!!! Hooray! I have been complaining about the same problem for years. I'm 21 now, and I'm 5'11", 135, which means that it takes an average of 3 to 4 years for me to find one article of clothing at any mall that fits me. I too wear a lot of women's clothing that is passable as men's. So here's my notes/secrets I've gathered up over the years...

secret 1) Jeans: Gap women's low rise boot cut. I have to cuff or cut off the bottoms on the regular length ones, but when I do, they look like nice fitting men's jeans for a smaller guy. They have plain light and dark ones, and ones with those gay "whisker" things, too. [~$35]

secret 2) dressier pants: older women's Levi's. the only pair I have left is some nice corduroys. These also look like men's pants meant for a smaller guy. The only problem is that these older pants have a higher waist, which can be a pain, since us guys have ... other stuff ... that we need a little bit of extra room for. Found at thrift stores and too-hip-high-end-overpriced trift stores. [~$5-25]

secret 3) dress shirts: Land's End trim fit. Get the 15" neck, and the 32" sleeves, but make sure to order the slim fit. Even a few years ago when I weighed less than I do now (nb: thanks beer), these hugged my sides just fine - no garbage bag mess coming all untucked, etc, etc. The sleeves are also smaller around, and shorter. They have a lot of your basic colors. [~$30]

secret 4) dress shirts: Fink Clothing. These are maybe a little bit less professional looking, but they are still sharp, and they have way cool designs. You used to be able to find them at Urban Outfitters. Check the web, too. [~$40-60]

secret 5) general clothes: Penguin by Munsingwear. this is an old company that is making new clothes again. They have quite a bit of really sweet looking stuff - expecially the sweaters and polo shirts - but it's really expensive. I wish I could afford one or two things by them. [~$50-350]

...as for sweaters, mine are all mostly thrift store polyester numbers. they're cool though, cos they are really tough, being polyester, and you can find all sorts of sharp looking ones, and crazy looking ones, too.

That should wrap it up... I would have taken pictures of me modeling my wardrobe, but I'll save you guys the trouble.

Good luck in your search for clothes that fit - it's damn near impossible with our build!

jim!

ps - i have one, and have seen many, EXTREMELY cool Diane Von Furstenburg dress shirts for women. They have some sweet designs. Just get used to buttoning them from the other side. If you see one grab it.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:21 pm

It seems you may just like wearing women's clothing.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:21 pm

sthslvrcnfsn wrote:Alright wing, another small guy!!! Hooray! I have been complaining about the same problem for years. I'm 21 now, and I'm 5'11", 135,
THAT's small? That makes me feel like a midget in comparison! I'm 20, 130 lbs, and my height is a staggering 5'3", though my girlfriend is convinced that I am actually 5'2". She's actually taller than me. How sad is that? This is especially why I have a hard time finding clothes and pants.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:11 pm

wing wrote: I'm 20, 130 lbs, and my height is a staggering 5'3", though my girlfriend is convinced that I am actually 5'2". She's actually taller than me. How sad is that? This is especially why I have a hard time finding clothes and pants.
Is it sad that she's taller or that you can't find clothes?

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:43 pm

wing wrote:
sthslvrcnfsn wrote: THAT's small? That makes me feel like a midget in comparison! I'm 20, 130 lbs, and my height is a staggering 5'3", though my girlfriend is convinced that I am actually 5'2". She's actually taller than me. How sad is that? This is especially why I have a hard time finding clothes and pants.
Taller girlfriends rock.

My driver's licence and parents are convinced I'm 5'8"

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:45 pm

sonichue wrote:
wing wrote: I'm 20, 130 lbs, and my height is a staggering 5'3", though my girlfriend is convinced that I am actually 5'2". She's actually taller than me. How sad is that? This is especially why I have a hard time finding clothes and pants.
Is it sad that she's taller or that you can't find clothes?
both, but i've come to accept and really laugh at the fact my woman is taller.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:47 pm

wing wrote:both, but i've come to accept and really laugh at the fact my woman is taller.
Dude - that's not funny - that's fly.

It's also more fun IMO. Taller and lighter is best. It's actually better from an evolutionary scale, too.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:00 am

wing wrote:
sonichue wrote: Is it sad that she's taller or that you can't find clothes?
both, but i've come to accept and really laugh at the fact my woman is taller.
Well, if she's not too much taller, you can see eye-to-eye without shoes.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:59 am

My current girlfriend is my height (5'3"), but I've dated women as tall as 6'. It makes no difference when you spend most of your time together lying down! For some reason I've dated a lot of very tall women. I think it's because guys of average height are intimidated by them. I'm used to people being taller than me, so I don't care.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:27 pm

sserendipity wrote:
Taller girlfriends rock.

i had this friend that was a very pretty girl who was 6'2". She was not rail thin, nor was she overweight. She was exactly, perfectly proportionate. She was like a normal girl, just bigger - I always said she was like 1.2x , a woman, but slighty bigger.

Anyway, she always dated shorter men, and said that they were always attracted to her. She called it a 'jungle gym fetish' they just want to climb all over you. :lol:
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz