Dress Shirts for a small man

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Dress Shirts for a small man

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:24 am

Rigsby wrote:I too feel your pain. In most senses i'm a perfect 15 and a half, any shirt that size will fit me absolutely perfectly except i won't be able to do the top button up. A 16 is fine in the neck and too big elsewhere. I don't think i have a particularly fat neck, so what's up with this? Luckily i rarely need to do the top button up anyway.
yeah, but you're lucky because your problem is easily corrected with one of those neck/collar extender things they sell at the front counter for like $1.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:27 am

rhythm ranch wrote:
wing wrote:I've found the size I can get away with the most is a 15 neck and 34 "chest." but even when I try on 15's at 34-35, they're way too big, and the arms are totally way too long. They could even be shorter with 34.
The sizes listed on men's shirts are:

1st Number = Neck
2nd Number = Sleeve length

So in your example above, the shirt was a 15" neck (good for you) with 34" sleeves (much too long for you). You need to look for 15/32.

The circumference of the neck generally dictates the size if the body of the shirt:

A rough guide -
14-14 1/2 = Small
15-15 1/2 = Medium
16-16 1/2 = Large
17-17 1/2 = X-Large

If you want shirts to fit more snuggly, you should look for "fitted" dress shirts, which are cut with a more tapered silohuette.

Hope that helps.
It does, but in most department stores I've been to, the only ones that are "small" at 14-14.5 have sleeve lengths starting at 34/35 and up. That is the smallest they get, EXCEPT for two colors: white and light blue. I already have those. All of the cool patterns and colors are off-limits to us small people, so the only people who can enjoy those are fat american dudes.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:27 am

Stephen B. wrote:Wing, you're in Houston, right? Get yourself over to the Galleria and go to the Thomas Pink store. You will find shirts that fit. They are British and actually cut their shirts smaller than most people, and they all look great. Of course, I happen to fall somewhere closer to the killer whale sizes, but I know they have what you need. Might want to wait for a sale, though.
I was in the Galleria just this past weekend, but never had the chance to stop there. I will next time.

But I assume even on sale we're talking shirts that will probably cost around $60? Because that's not likely my budget.

Re: pants
-- I totally feel for you guys! I'm a short guy, but have especially short legs. A good fit is 26-28 for me. So either I shop for boy's, whose waist sizes are way too small, or men's, whose lengths are way too long. Often I find myself also buying women's pants and shirts. This isn't too bad, but sometimes the pants and shirts are way too girly in their structure and form. They have weird seams and things that men don't need, and often I've had girls flat out say to me: "those are girls pants, aren't they?" and the problem I most often have shopping for women's shirts is the way they are made and cut. They have the "darts" which are those seams from the breast through the back that men don't have. They also often have frilly collars and sleeves, and a shape that goes down my side in a very womanly manner.

I just want to wear some freakin men's clothes! Nice ones!

I rarely have luck at thrift stores, either. Almost the same as department stores. But at least the stuff is cheaper.

Re: altering -- is it really THAT hard? what about pants? I have a lot of pants that look good on me, have just the right waist, the only deal is they are way too long. I am tired of rolling up cuffs that only roll back down. How hard could it be to cut the pants at just the right length, roll the ends inside, and sew that down? I don't want to attempt it on my own and ruin any good pair of pants, but I figure someone's mom has to know how to teach me.

So my conclusion of the matter: The only short/small/skinny men in America are Rich, British, do not shop at department stores, and do not wear dress shirts or pants whatsoever.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:35 am

Wing you need to apprentice with someone who is hip and fashionable..I used to be a fasion disaster..now my favorite thing to do is to shop at the most upscale malls with HOT people..

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:41 am

wing wrote:
Rigsby wrote:I too feel your pain. In most senses i'm a perfect 15 and a half, any shirt that size will fit me absolutely perfectly except i won't be able to do the top button up. A 16 is fine in the neck and too big elsewhere. I don't think i have a particularly fat neck, so what's up with this? Luckily i rarely need to do the top button up anyway.
yeah, but you're lucky because your problem is easily corrected with one of those neck/collar extender things they sell at the front counter for like $1.
The what now?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:52 am

American sizes are designed for American appetites. Being tall and skinny, and having the luxury of visiting Sweden (or having my wife visit, who is Swedish), I've since learned to buy shirts there. The fit is much more suited to my frame.
Wing...my advice is to buddy up with someone about to travel, and have them buy you shirts while abroad. Or let's get our British friends to do some shirt purchasing for us, eh?

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:00 am

wing wrote: It does, but in most department stores I've been to, the only ones that are "small" at 14-14.5 have sleeve lengths starting at 34/35 and up. That is the smallest they get, EXCEPT for two colors: white and light blue. I already have those. All of the cool patterns and colors are off-limits to us small people, so the only people who can enjoy those are fat american dudes.
Is there something in the water in Houston - that is a freakish size - 14 - 35. like someone who is 6'2" and 120 lbs.

Most shirts fit me fine give or take 1/2" in neck size and 1" in sleeve. But I went to Hong Kong a few years ago and had like 15 custom shirts made, and monogrammed for about $25 each. I suck and should have gotten like 50, but I thought I would be back (this was just b4 9/11). Now they are all worn out. You might need to go this route - custom shirts - there are some bargains out there at lower end places, but even they will likely be at least $60 a shirt. The tapered cut is a good idea too.

I am really screwed on pants though. I have a long torso and proportionately short legs for someone my height. I am a 32-34 waist and 32-33 length and hate pleats. I tried on maybe 50 pairs of pants the other day and none fit right. Seems like the trend now is 'low rise' which means there is like 3 inches between the top of the pants and your package - and they make your legs look shorter. So I look like i'm looking in a funhouse mirror plus all my junk is in plain view - not good for the office!

BTW - pants are MUCH easier to tailor - esp. the length. For waist, you need to look on the inside of the pant in the seat and see how the seams are put together. taking in may be easier than letting out.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:41 am

Rigsby wrote:
wing wrote:
The what now?
something like this: http://www.mandrgames.com/wonderbutton.htm

they're really cheap, and will give you no more excuses to whine ;)

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:11 am

i find that with shirts, like microphones or anything else, quality over quantity is the way to go. If you go to Thomas Pink (great designer, btw) you will spend alot of money on a shirt, but instead of having 12 shirts that look bad, you'll have one that makes you look great. check out www.thomaspink.com you can pick all the different cuts, collar, and cuff types, color, and fabric type. i just 'designed' a really nice pink check slim fit with a standard collar and french cuffs for 165. alot of money, but near custom tailored quality. i'd get one of those before i got 4 $40 shirts. or befriend a young fasionista and get them to make you some shirts for cheap.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:14 am

oh, and as far a alterations go, hemming pants is pretty easy. you can learn how to hem super quick, although with nice pants you might want to go to a tailor instead, as they'll rock that shit quickly and accurately. it sucks to mis measure one leg and then have some nice different length legs on your pants... it's a hot look for 2005.

john

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:38 am

mjau wrote: Wing...my advice is to buddy up with someone about to travel, and have them buy you shirts while abroad. Or let's get our British friends to do some shirt purchasing for us, eh?
I'm in for two and I can pay.

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:03 am

toaster3000 wrote:oh, and as far a alterations go, hemming pants is pretty easy. you can learn how to hem super quick, although with nice pants you might want to go to a tailor instead, as they'll rock that shit quickly and accurately. it sucks to mis measure one leg and then have some nice different length legs on your pants... it's a hot look for 2005.

john
I would advise going to a tailor as well. The extra money will make you feel like money! Also, IMHO, sales are generally an exercise in frustration as the only sizes left are the odd ones.
lfg

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:15 am

toaster3000 wrote:i find that with shirts, like microphones or anything else, quality over quantity is the way to go. If you go to Thomas Pink (great designer, btw) you will spend alot of money on a shirt, but instead of having 12 shirts that look bad, you'll have one that makes you look great. check out www.thomaspink.com you can pick all the different cuts, collar, and cuff types, color, and fabric type. i just 'designed' a really nice pink check slim fit with a standard collar and french cuffs for 165. alot of money, but near custom tailored quality. i'd get one of those before i got 4 $40 shirts. or befriend a young fasionista and get them to make you some shirts for cheap.

john
I think i'll have to go with the latter; because while I love to dress well and nice and feel good throughout the day, I'd much rather spend the money right now on music than on that. Even $40 shirts is a lot to me!!! I guess I'm not ready to be a real man ;)

armanbohn
gettin' sounds

Post by armanbohn » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:17 am

I'm a shrimp as well...
I lived in Lisbon, Portugal for a time and there is a grat Spanish clothing store called Zara. It's kind of high fashion cheeze like a European Target.
That was two years ago and I'm still wearing the clothes that I got there.
They actually had sizes that made sense. Come Feb. everything goes on sale and is like 5 euro. Back then, that was a good deal.
The only places I've found in the states that have small are Old Navy (yikes) and American Eagle Outfitters (not quite as hideous as it sounds).
Other than that - Goodwill 70's old man shirts & pants........

JohnDavisNYC

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:31 pm

for me it's all or nothing... 3 bucks at the thrift shop, for free in the hallway of my building, or going for something really good. I'll second the Zara reccomendation, tho... i've got some nice pants from them that weren't too expensive.

good luck. if you ever come to nyc some time i'll take you to the awesome thrift shops i hit.

john