my ears have been killing me

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

my ears have been killing me

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:22 am

I feel like my ears are fatigued, from working a lot at the club, and from sleeping infront of a loud radiator. I've just had this fatigue feeling for a couple days now, and its the kind where it hurts to just have ears.

I wonder if dirty ear plugs might not be helping.

I haven't listened to records for a few days, and am taking it easy the best I can. But I still have to work.

Any advice???? I always get scared its perminant, which one time was.

AASteveo
studio intern

Re: my ears have been killing me

Post by AASteveo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:04 am

You should have your ears professionally checked. There are certain places to do this, but I'm not sure where. You can have them checked to point of knowing exactly which frequencies you can and cannot hear and they can mold a set of high quality ear plugs specifically for your ears. My recording teacher was telling us about it. I'll ask him the name of the place next time I have the class.

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Post by andyg666 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:18 am

what? can't hear you... sorry.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:18 am

SSRigsbyGargesA.L. wrote:it hurts to just have ears.
yeah. i was feeling exactly the same yesterday. sitting at the counter at a diner and whenever the chef banged his spatula against the grill i wanted to die. last night i was sitting around with the lady watching bad tv and just felt really conscious of how tired my ears felt. bla bla. anyway they feel a lot better this morning. try and take a break if you can...if you can not listen to anything at all for a few days that'll help, but that's probably unlikely. just don't listen to anything unless you're working and try to do all that other healthy shit like eat right and get enough sleep.

anyway, if what you're feeling is the same as what i feel, it's not permanent. your shit is just tired.

AASteveo
studio intern

Post by AASteveo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:04 pm

Yeah, I talked to my teacher, and he it was just some clinic on campus that checks people's ears. It's called Tri-City Audiology. I don't know if they have something like that near you. But if you're in Tempe, Arizona you could check that out. You should definately go to a place like that to get them checked out. It doesn't cost much, and it will be well worth it. They can tell you what you should do to preserve your ears.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:43 pm

If you can't afford the custom-fitted earplugs, get what you can - maybe a nice assortment and find the ones you like. You can wear earplugs when wandering around outside, and that'll help your ears recover a bit.

Wearing good earplugs on an airplane definitely cuts down on the fautigue - even on a long car drive it'll make a difference.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Anyone got a way to cut down on bass noise? The kind that is transfered through your bones? Ear plugs actually make it louder, I assume by creating a small cavity for the sound to transfer into the air in front of the ear drum.

I ride the train every day, and I'm pretty sure that the deafening noise is slowly destroying my hearing.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:23 pm

Yeah, I'm getting my ears CLEANED next week, and then I will get my ear plugs made after that. I use the ones I get at CVS everyday, but they get dirty, and I wear them so much my ears get irritated. But, gots to wear them on tha train. Can't wear them at work until I get custom ones (I do sound at a club)

AASteveo
studio intern

Post by AASteveo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:09 pm

sserendipity wrote:Anyone got a way to cut down on bass noise? The kind that is transfered through your bones? Ear plugs actually make it louder, I assume by creating a small cavity for the sound to transfer into the air in front of the ear drum.quote]

Yeah, I notice that things get muffled with normal plugs. The bass sounds louder. I'm pretty sure the reason is that the actual sound wave of high frequencies is much much smaller than that of low end. Say the length of one wave at a high frequency is maybe one millimeter long, so this entire wave gets absorbed in the foam of the plug, depending on the density of it. A low frequency wave (bass) is much longer, so it bends around and through things very easily.

I think that you can get custom plugs to do different things. I haven't gotten any customs, but I wish I could someday.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:55 pm

The custom earplugs do cut down on bass. The regular foamy earplugs don't make a good enough seal to stop low frequencies, nor are they dense enough. But the custom-fitted jobbies extend further into the ear and are dense. I wear them on the airplane and the whole thing is much quieter.

Maybe you should look into those waxy earplugs sold for swimming... they definitely cut a lot more noise than the foam ones. Plus they don't irritate your ears as much.