Deodorizing Wooden Dresser! HELP

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Deodorizing Wooden Dresser! HELP

Post by A.L. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 pm

Hey so I got this huge old dresser from my grandmother. It's a big deal 'cause I've never had one, used cheap plastic things, etc., prior and was relieved to have a 'real' place to put my clothes.

The problem: it smells like my grandmother. Like, it has this bizarre smell which is slightly fragrant but mostly gross. It's kind of a chemical-ish smell; I'm pretty sure it's just an amalgamation of every perfume and bath salt she's ever bought (she was big on bath salts)..

I already tossed the plastic things and now have no place to put my clothes without fear of imparting 'the smell' onto them.

I have already tried:

a) cleaning the drawers and replacing the lining
b) airing the drawers out (it seems to go away but then returns once I shut everything up again)
c) that 'one drop' stuff
d) in desperation febreeze

I've managed the alter the smell but not get rid of it. WTF.

I don't want to mask the smell, I don't want my shit smelling like cedar, I want to get rid of it.

Please! Help!

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Re: Deodorizing Wooden Dresser! HELP

Post by Ivon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:52 pm

Maybe rent an ionizer?...They get rid of unwanted odors really well.

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:24 pm

By smells like your grandmother, is it her old perfume or did she store moth balls in it...one way to get rd of the smell is to put some cedar strips in the chest..of course other things will smell like cedar, but cedar is not an over powering smell...

You could mask the smell by placing some potporiee in there or spraying a bit of your own cologne every few days would cover up the smell...

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:26 pm

Get over it. Back in your Grandmother's and my day, we had to smell like that, uphill, both ways in the snow. AND WE LIKED IT.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:28 pm

I assume she owned this piece of furniture for some time?
That shit is there to stay, man. Your only course of action is to overpower it with something less offensive to you.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:39 pm

goddamnit

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:47 pm

well I guess I'll see if I can't fit some boxes of baking soda back there

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:55 pm

A.L. wrote:well I guess I'll see if I can't fit some boxes of baking soda back there
Look into renting an ionizer...seriously. They may cost some to rent, but if the furniture is really worth the time and money, check them out. Pest control companies use them to get rid of rat piss odors. Your furniture couldn't possibley smell worse that rat piss.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:01 pm

iwokojance wrote:
A.L. wrote:well I guess I'll see if I can't fit some boxes of baking soda back there
Look into renting an ionizer...seriously. They may cost some to rent, but if the furniture is really worth the time and money, check them out. Pest control companies use them to get rid of rat piss odors. Your furniture couldn't possibley smell worse that rat piss.
Ok looking online there are $20 ones, hmm.

I mean, it doesn't make the room smell, just the inside of the dresser, I need something small to shove in there anyways.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:06 pm

A.L. wrote:goddamnit
All right! All right! Calm down.

If it's that much of a problem for you, I'll can come over and sleep in it for a night.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:07 pm

A.L. wrote:
I mean, it doesn't make the room smell, just the inside of the dresser, I need something small to shove in there anyways.
I think you need the ones that actually do something. I've got one of those in the corner of my room, and.... well, see my earlier message.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:59 pm

sserendipity wrote:
A.L. wrote:
I think you need the ones that actually do something. I've got one of those in the corner of my room, and.... well, see my earlier message.
ha ha, point taken

yeah I just now put my clothes in there anways, oh well. At least I'm hanging the shirts and pants

tommymakestapes
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tommymakestapes » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:14 am

A.L. wrote:
sserendipity wrote:
A.L. wrote:
ha ha, point taken

yeah I just now put my clothes in there anways, oh well. At least I'm hanging the shirts and pants
if you put cigar butts in it itd smell like my grandpa. but seriously dude... dont "misunderestimate" the power of fabreeze. maybe spray some calogne in there. if not that.. paint it or start smellin like gwammy.