eyeglass wearing people: should these hurt?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

eyeglass wearing people: should these hurt?

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:49 am

I've never worn glasses; I got my first pair last friday. They didn't seem to hurt at first, but come the first of the week I was having temple aches and whenever I'd take them off, I felt relieved. So I took them in and got them adjusted (for free at eyemasters). I couldn't tell the adjuster whether or not they were good yet since I usually don't tell until I wear them for at least an hour. So sure enough, by the next day, I had to get them readjusted.

Since then, I've repeated this cycle at least five times this week. I got them adjusted TWICE yesterday!

Now they're really lose on the temple, which I don't mind since I won't be playing sports with them on anyway. They don't even apply pressure really, they just sit there. There is no logical way in the world that they should hurt, they slip on comfortably like nothing.

But still, after a little while, my head/temple area is just hurting, and whenever I take them off, I feel so relieved.

But maybe it's just because I'm new to glasses? Should I quit my whining, wear them more often and get used to them? Is it normal to experience pain and temple headaches when new to glasses?

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Re: eyeglass wearing people: should these hurt?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:04 am

Yes and yes. Since you've never worn glasses before you have to get used to the way they feel on your head and to your eyes. I've worn glasses for years and I went through this the last time my prescription changed.

I'm talking about a little pinching and a few headaches for a few days. If it lasts longer than that it might be a more serious problem.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:09 am

marqueemoon wrote:Yes and yes. Since you've never worn glasses before you have to get used to the way they feel on your head and to your eyes. I've worn glasses for years and I went through this the last time my prescription changed.

I'm talking about a little pinching and a few headaches for a few days. If it lasts longer than that it might be a more serious problem.
specifically temple headaches too. that normal?

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:28 am

It sounds to me like a bad prescription. Headaches and feeling weird for the first couple of days is normal. Past a week its not.

I would go back and see if they'll retest your eyes for appropriate prescription. Or maybe go somewhere else and see if you can get a second opinion.

Out of curiousity how long did your eye exam last? The last one I had was the first competent one I've had in about fifteen years. It lasted about an hour and a half (part of which was examining the inside of my eyes with a flashlight. The chain places I've been to just don't seem to care very much.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:38 am

wing wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:Yes and yes. Since you've never worn glasses before you have to get used to the way they feel on your head and to your eyes. I've worn glasses for years and I went through this the last time my prescription changed.

Yes. The temple headaches could be from eye strain or from the arms of the glasses pinching against the veins on the sides of your head.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:39 am

apropos of nothing wrote:It sounds to me like a bad prescription. Headaches and feeling weird for the first couple of days is normal. Past a week its not.

I would go back and see if they'll retest your eyes for appropriate prescription. Or maybe go somewhere else and see if you can get a second opinion.

Out of curiousity how long did your eye exam last? The last one I had was the first competent one I've had in about fifteen years. It lasted about an hour and a half (part of which was examining the inside of my eyes with a flashlight. The chain places I've been to just don't seem to care very much.
no no-- my eyes feel bad ass. no more strain for me, i love looking through the lens. it's just the frame! sometimes, i actually just hold the frame off my head and still look through the lens, and feel much better.

the "headache" pain is all derived from the temple where the frame sits on my ears, not my eyes. it's just that annoying pressure of having this thing sit between your ear lobe and temple.

and at first, it felt fine for the first day or two... but that's also because i didn't wear them all the time. the moment i started doing that is when even after 30 minutes my head hurts. now it pretty much hurts my head all the time, even after the adjustments.

but it's totally not eye strain, they feel great. it's all in the back of my head.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:40 am

marqueemoon wrote:
wing wrote:

Yes. The temple headaches could be from eye strain or from the arms of the glasses pinching against the veins on the sides of your head.
the latter is what it seems like, because sometimes i hold the frames off my temples with my fingers and i feel better.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:46 am

also, as far as getting used to them goes: i don't plan on wearing them *ALL THE TIME* whatsoever. My plan was to wear them half the time, or only when I need them: distant stuff (classes, driving, movies, etc). Otherwise I didn't intend to wear them.

So if I don't wear them at all times, will I not ever get used to the temple pain and therefore find it always hurts? I don't want to not wear them for most of the day someday, then go out to see a movie and have the drive there and the duration of the movie give me all this temple pain! Will I only get used to it by wearing them constantly?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:52 am

and why is it hurting now MORE than the first 2-3 days i had them???

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:20 pm

I think it'll just take a little longer to get used to the frames if you're not wearing them all the time, bare with them Wing. They might be hurting more after a few days as you may well have sores or something that need to heal a little before the discomfort goes, a bit like the sores you get on your fingers when you first play drums or guitar, it's painful til they toughen up and then all's well. Hope it doesn't last too long four eyes.

Specky x.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:26 pm

wing wrote:sometimes i hold the frames off my temples with my fingers and i feel better.
Stress can make this kind of headache worse too.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:43 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
wing wrote:sometimes i hold the frames off my temples with my fingers and i feel better.
Stress can make this kind of headache worse too.
i'm pretty much only stressed about this too. which is funny.

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:13 pm

no pain no gain

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:02 am

At least you don't have to wear these. But you did it would be pretty cool.[/url]

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Post by Tim Casey » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:45 am

Wear them all the time for a month and see if you get used to it. If not, then go back to the eye doctor.

I went through the same thing when I got glasses at 29 and then bifocals at 44. I got used to it and the headaches went away, but only because I left them on all the time. But, boy, was it a bitch getting used to glasses!