Kill my iPod...please help me.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Kill my iPod...please help me.

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:31 pm

Anyone who owns an iPod figured out after a few weeks that you can put music from iTunes on it, but you CANNOT put music from your iPod onto iTunes!! WHY THE HELL NOT!! This makes no sense to me at all an I'm furious with this stupid little piece of technology.

I formatted my hard drive. When I was backing up my files, I figured, "well all of my music is already on the iPod, I don't have to back it up" So when i was all done with the clean hard drive, I find there is no way to read the music on the iPod without using Itunes...and iTunes won't let you put the files on it!! DUDE! does anyone know a way around this?

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Re: Kill my iPod...please help me.

Post by megajoe » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:39 pm

Nope. You could take the headphone out to somewhere and record that, but that would just be silly.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:41 pm

There IS some way to read the files on the iPod, and extract them. c'mon, it's just a little hard drive. Anyone...anyone.

Mike

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:08 pm

Why are so sure about that? Apple designed the ipod so that wouldn't be possible to do that, for piracy reasons. Unless you mod your ipod in some way, I don't think you can do it.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:26 pm

i believe tehre's a wee program called iRip or something like that.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:51 pm

Granted this was all done on a PC, but when i was playing with my brotherrs new iPOD over Xmas whenever it got hooked up to the computer it appeared as a drive and you could just open it up and navigate through the file structure to the files you want. I didnt do this but i cant see why you couldnt go to the files on the hard drive and drag and drop them back on your comp...

Isnt that part of the cool thing about iPOD's is that it is a portable hard drive that you can take other kinds of files with you too?

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:24 pm

There's a program called iPodRip. I hear it's good.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:25 pm

http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti/

bow before me.

this works great for what you are trying to do

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:41 pm

megajoe wrote:Why are so sure about that? Apple designed the ipod so that wouldn't be possible to do that, for piracy reasons. Unless you mod your ipod in some way, I don't think you can do it.
Why were you so sure there was no way? If you make something, someone else can break it.

Thank you Maz, but I bow before no man. A "thank you" is in order...Thanks..n stuff.

Seriously that's awesome. I owe you a coke.

Mike

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:57 pm

Wilkesin wrote:Granted this was all done on a PC, but when i was playing with my brotherrs new iPOD over Xmas whenever it got hooked up to the computer it appeared as a drive and you could just open it up and navigate through the file structure to the files you want. I didnt do this but i cant see why you couldnt go to the files on the hard drive and drag and drop them back on your comp...

Isnt that part of the cool thing about iPOD's is that it is a portable hard drive that you can take other kinds of files with you too?
The iPod is designed to be a hard drive as well, but to extract the audio, the files have to be sent to the iPod in hardrive-mode first, and not through iTunes. All the music on the iPod cannot be viewed or listened to EXCEPT in iTunes. Not even if you open the iPod icon on the desktop. And I doubt this is for piracy reasons, because they outline how to move music from one computer to another in the manual.

Mike

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:10 pm

maz wrote:http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti/

bow before me.

this works great for what you are trying to do
Is there one of these for the PC?
Werd.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:32 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:
Wilkesin wrote:Granted this was all done on a PC, but when i was playing with my brotherrs new iPOD over Xmas whenever it got hooked up to the computer it appeared as a drive and you could just open it up and navigate through the file structure to the files you want. I didnt do this but i cant see why you couldnt go to the files on the hard drive and drag and drop them back on your comp...

The iPod is designed to be a hard drive as well, but to extract the audio, the files have to be sent to the iPod in hardrive-mode first, and not through iTunes. All the music on the iPod cannot be viewed or listened to EXCEPT in iTunes. Not even if you open the iPod icon on the desktop. And I doubt this is for piracy reasons, because they outline how to move music from one computer to another in the manual.

Mike
Ghey, the more i read about it, the more i am glad i didnt get one for Xmas myself. Anyone know any really good iPOD alternative, especially for us PC users?

theBlubberRanch
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBlubberRanch » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:26 pm

If you take about 15 minutes, you can learn a few unix commands and use the terminal program to get at all the hidden files on your iPod.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:48 pm

Wilkesin wrote:Anyone know any really good iPOD alternative, especially for us PC users?
Archos. They have line-ins, too.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:29 pm

Those are cool as hell, but i dont care for any of that picture viewer and whatever else shit and the website doesnt seem to sell the older "music only" models...any idea where i can buy one? I didnt notice any listings on eBAY right away.