CA Universities were FREE in the 60's?

kcrusher
tinnitus

CA Universities were FREE in the 60's?

Post by kcrusher » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:23 pm

I just found out that in-state tuition for CA residents attending CA universities (Berkeley, for one) was FREE at least through the late 60's.

So - what happened? Why were we able to provide that then and not now?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Re: CA Universities were FREE in the 60's?

Post by megajoe » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:23 pm

I've lived where I am at now for 11 years, and tuition for the university I'm going to has more than doubled in that time. It raises in price every semester, it makes me sick.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:30 pm

well, ya know, that was a long time ago.

you could buy a nice house back then for $25 k.
I was going to junior college in LA, in the late 60's and it was free, but there was a tuition for state colleges, even in the early 70's.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:51 pm

bombastique wrote:I just found out that in-state tuition for CA residents attending CA universities (Berkeley, for one) was FREE at least through the late 60's.

So - what happened? Why were we able to provide that then and not now?
- Reagan's tax cuts
- Bush's tax cuts
- The california freeze on property taxes
- The usual cost of living increases, ignored by sparring partisan politicians with corporate sponsors and home constituencies on their mind.

I am sure that on of our resident knee-jerkers will try and argue that none of these directly affected the cost of education. However, they made the pie smaller for everything, and so education got cut. Federal tax cuts means more money from the state's coffers, which mean less money for 'optional' stuff like secondary edumification.

The problem with this country isn't about bigger, or smaller government. The problem with government doesn't lies in its size: it lies in its integrity. We need better, more accountable government. Not more fucking $300 tax rebates.

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:44 pm

And guess what...tuition is only getting more expensive. My tuition will have doubled next school year (my senior year) in comparison to my freshman year.
It's scary because tuition is only going be raised.

Freshman year (2002): ~ $1500 (per quarter)

Junior year (now): ~ $2700 (per quarter)

Senior Year: ~ $3200 (per quarter)

Total Bullshit. Not considering that books cost about $900 a year. If you have kids save for their college tuition, because with guys like Arnie it's going to get worse.

We're on the quarter system with the rest of the UC's except for Berkeley who are on the semester system.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:04 pm

Houston's Rice University is about $35,000/year. It shocks me every time I think about it.

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:25 pm

Yep tuition isn't that bad in the UC's but I still think it's too much to pay compared to how much tuition has increased in the last 3 years. 35K is amazingly steep, that's why people can't afford college sometimes. :?

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:15 pm

Gosh, I should open a school.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:09 am

Ok, get this - at a rate of $35k per year, the 80 Billion dollar 'supplement' for the war in Iraq that was just requested would pay the tuition for 2,285,714 students. Multiply that by 5 for an in-state university charging $7000 per year.

As of 1999 there were 15 million students enrolled in college, including graduate students.

Kinda twisted how we can afford war, but can't afford education.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:24 pm

I work for a UC and we've been seriously feeling the pinch. We're fucked and Arnold is making it worse.