guitar tab question

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

guitar tab question

Post by dungeonsound615 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:08 pm

Alright so im trying to figure out thsi song and Im looking at the tab out of the tab book and i cant figure this out. this is gonna be kinda hard to explain here. So it shows a C power chord then right after that it shows three X's on top of each other. Im guessing this means to play a rake, that or a mute of some sort Im just not sure if i hold the notes of the C power chord, or do i just mute the open strings. Argh i dont want to cheat my way through something if i dont have to but i cant figure out what there asking me to play.

hope someone can help

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Re: guitar tab question

Post by Kilroy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:03 pm

what song?? have u listened to the song?? Could it mean to palm mute the power chord?? Hit me up on aim if u havent figured it out

-chris

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:07 pm

I think that usually means to strum those strings while muting them.

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:20 pm

I used to do a lot of Tab back in the day and thought the same thing......."I'm not gonna cheat. I'm gonna do it just like _______!"

The thing is that guitar is a cheater's instrument. If you can make it sound like the sound your listening to then it works.

(of course, if you're playing for someone who KNOWS the real way, then all bets are off....)

Really, though, there aren't hard and fast rules. Most dudes don't even play the song the same way twice.

THose x's could be a rake or a note-less "ka-chunk" of the strings.......more percussive/rythmic than harmonic. Have fun!
Now get yerself some Chet Atkins tab. THAT'S the shit!

Ivon
steve albini likes it

Post by Ivon » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:56 pm

Just my 0.02$ here...

I agree with what Bad Halen said about guitar. Very easy to cheat. I've been playing guitar for about 20 years now, and have just started reading standard notation the past couple of years. All that time before, I pretty much just played by ear. And let me tell ya shomething shunny (in old codger voice)...tab is a major pain in the arse. It's more confusing than anything else. Standard notation, believe it or not, is simpler once you get the hang of it. Plus the cool thing about notation is that you can take the music from one instrument and apply that to guitar (like the piano, granted you have to take the bass/treble staffs into consideration and improvise). I've never seen tab for the piano, or other instruments except for drums (and drum tab sucks too).