David Kucinich for President

chris harris
speech impediment

Re: David Kucinich for President

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:55 pm

but, why the whole "throw the baby out with the bathwater" approach from libertarians??

You say that regulations hurt businesses and are not effective.... But, then you say that without regulations, these corporations would be more responsible because of what they learned while they were regulated and a fear of re-regulation.

does regulation work or not?

3 things keep the mega corporations from owning your ass:

1. Labor Unions
2. Government Regulations
3. Civil Liability

the fact that Republicans oppose ALL THREE of these things should be a sign to anyone who's not a multi-millionaire.
I guess that Libertarians oppose all but #3.

The government is too big.
Dems want to throw money at the problems.
Reps and Libertarians want to just do away with programs.
Why doesn't anyone focus on the real problems, which are waste and backdoor deals?.

We COULD have a much better country. We don't need more taxes, or less taxes. We just need to get our damn money's worth for what we already pay.

As far as universal health care goes, the whole argument about Canadians and British people having to wait for healthcare makes me wanna puke.
When you go to the doctor in the US, and you "get right in," do you ever consider that you "get right in" because there are so many sick people sitting at home, not able to pay for healthcare?? What if you had to step over these people to get to the exam room? would you still feel great about not having to wait?

rtopia
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Papoon for President (one organism, one vote!)

Post by rtopia » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:11 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote: Maybe there's someone in the US who doesn't buy into at least some of the bullshit, but I haven't met that person
Hi...
"Steve R - nice to meet you"

I joined the military when I was 18, after being raised on military bases.
I stopped believeing the media within minutes of my first deployment.

- r

rtopia

Post by rtopia » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:40 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
The government is too big.
Dems want to throw money at the problems.
Reps and Libertarians want to just do away with programs.
Why doesn't anyone focus on the real problems, which are waste and backdoor deals?.
Maybe because waste and backdoor deals are occupational hazards of the government being able to take money from people who earn it and giving to people who don't?
We COULD have a much better country. We don't need more taxes, or less taxes. We just need to get our damn money's worth for what we already pay.
With less than 25% of the population voting and no competition, what incentive does the government have to give us our money's worth?
When you go to the doctor in the US, and you "get right in," do you ever consider that you "get right in" because there are so many sick people sitting at home, not able to pay for healthcare??
We're talking about less than 20% of the population here.
Even some of those can pay for their health care (hell - I'm one of those from time to time).

- r

rtopia

Post by rtopia » Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:19 pm

subatomic pieces wrote: You say that regulations hurt businesses and are not effective.... But, then you say that without regulations, these corporations would be more responsible because of what they learned while they were regulated and a fear of re-regulation.
I also added liability for - any and all - damages they'd be responsible for.
You may want to go back a little further in the thread.
3 things keep the mega corporations from owning your ass:

1. Labor Unions
2. Government Regulations
3. Civil Liability
This presumes a corporation would actually want to own you.
I can't tell if you're serious about that premise or is it just hyperbole?

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the 14th Amendment guarantees that no one can own your ass?
the fact that Republicans oppose ALL THREE of these things should be a sign to anyone who's not a multi-millionaire.
I guess that Libertarians oppose all but #3.
winky...
here's more evidence of my point regarding despising the wealthy.
"the the affluent are drunk with power and wanna force us to live in a van down by the river dependent on government hand outs"

right guys?

(admit it - you thought I was gonna say "cheese")

UPS is run by a buncha millionaires right?
They didn't oppose the Teamsters - they sought them out and invited them in to organize their drivers (stupid move - but hey it was voluntary)

I'm not aware of any government regulatory agency that sets acceptable limits on ass ownership (I'm just playin..)

I've never heard of Republicans opposing Civil Liability, but I gotta give ya that one. You may be going somewhere with this one that I'm not tracking.

I never did business with or worked for a poor man...

- r