mainstream hip hop sucks elephant balls

justinf
re-cappin' neve

mainstream hip hop sucks elephant balls

Post by justinf » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:37 pm

preface: underground/new/original/old school hip hop fuckin rules.

you know what I'm talking about. P diddy, bling bling shite. I was in the tracking room last night and it was kinda slow, so I read about 3-4 Vibe mags. I realized that I might as well be reading about hermit crabs in National Geographic as well as I could relate to that culture. Similar self-interested little grabs for territory, though. I totally understand why the guys that are doing real shit are more angry than ever.

Gotta 61 ins plazma in da Humma, yo. rollin' platnuh 23s dog.

fuckin lame.

Rec Head
studio intern

Re: mainstream hip hop sucks elephant balls

Post by Rec Head » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:17 pm

I agree except that dr. dre rules.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:23 pm

totally agree with that, the chronic was quite a statement of badassness.

i like eminem too, as well as many others that could easily qualify as having had lots of "mainstream" success. So the lines are not distinct (surprise)--it's just that bullshit materialism and those meaningless tracks that are the drag.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:39 pm

couple of that pop stuff has some good hooks. crazy synth parts, weird distortion and fucked up samples. way way way ahead of other pop music in terms of incorporating underground stuff in an overground way.

but you know. it is pop music.. so you have to judge it as that. i would say there are plenty of pop hip hop songs that get stuck in my head, and i reference in conversation and so on. so by that measure they are doing pretty well.

i think jay-z is pretty good pop music. great great great hooks. his first record has like 5 pretty good songs on it. and big pimpin'--- that flute is pretty cool.

nelle gets in my brain as well. i cant say "two pair" anymore. i say "two purr". that to me means that the pop song is doing its business.

i mean can you say "its getting hot in here" without that song in your head?

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:54 pm

all I have to say is Thr Roots!
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

Rec Head
studio intern

Post by Rec Head » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:57 pm

To be honest this thread should read "mainstream rock sucks elephant balls." I can't think of a single current radio rock song that I will listen to in the car. On the other hand I'll jam Jay-Z and even though Nelly is pretty stupid I'll gladly listen to him before pop chart rock.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:50 pm

enimem has such really crazy good talent... but i hate what he raps about, and his musical production SUCKSSSS (but no worse than most rap out there). but i definitely see the raw talent in him, despite the fact i don't like him or his music.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:25 am

yep the roots are incredible

i don't think it's as much about the "hooks" as it is the plasticine culture to me. But, yes, mainstream rock sucks pretty much equally. It's just a half-ass sales effort that, unfortunately, seems to work.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:50 am

All you have to do is sell your soul to the DEVIL! :twisted:

Seriously though. There is so much good rap it doesn't even mater. It's not even hard to find. Undergound rap is much easier for me to find than underground rock. For the most part it's all at the same store.

Outkast is amazing. There old stuff is really great.
Dr.Dre is.. Dr.Dre
Common. Check out his old stuff for some I love you, happy rap.
Mos Def, Talib Kwali, BlackStarr. They made it.
the roots.. everone thinks they are cool because they like the roots. me too!

Have you ever heard the roots on your local hot97 or 92.3 da beat? I haven't. Oh, and I do listen

As for all that shit your talking about. I really can't belive it. Just check out there singles if the have acapella on it. HAHAHA They have no skills. But, it's about selling an image, not a quality product. just like mainstream rock.... Most the time they are happy with one hit songs that makes them all their money.

Mainstream hip hop is like McDonalds. It's cheap, fast, and there is one on every corner.(Im sure someone can think of something better)

-matt
-Matthew Macchio$tab

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:11 am

helstab wrote:Outkast is amazing. There old stuff is really great.
yea but you hear their latest album? 39 tracks!!! man, it's really really good. really creative for hip hop too. the track Hey Ya! is awesome.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:27 am

no. but southernplayalistikcadillacmusic is GREAT!

I need to check that out though.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:46 am

bluepxl brought up something that i actually really hate about hip hop from 95 onwards: the overlength record.

everyone wants to do a double, and if they do a single CD they fill the thing up! BOORRRIIINNGGG. too long. 10 great songs and 20 mediocre songs is not better than just 10 great songs!

look at the wu-tang. first record GREAT. i think its like 35 mintues. every subsequent record WORSE. and they get longer, and longer.

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:49 am

deltron is also awesome he's not really mainstream though, and ofcourse Pharcyde: labcabincalifornia, to me is the best hip hop album ever made!
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:12 am

deltron is uhmm.. how do I put this... not as good as other that do the same thing.

Kool Keith for the crazy lyrics and beats by the automator.
Dr. Octogon.

old del is pretty racist towards WHITES. But, I still like it.

I wish Dead Prez were mainstream.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:15 am

eeldip wrote:bluepxl brought up something that i actually really hate about hip hop from 95 onwards: the overlength record.

everyone wants to do a double, and if they do a single CD they fill the thing up! BOORRRIIINNGGG. too long. 10 great songs and 20 mediocre songs is not better than just 10 great songs!

look at the wu-tang. first record GREAT. i think its like 35 mintues. every subsequent record WORSE. and they get longer, and longer.
yea, actually, i agree. i still think their new record is good, but way too long. i think albums should never be more than 15 songs no matter what the style. and i thought their previous album was a lot with like 26 songs!

but a lot of good underground hip hop artists don't do overlength records, thankfully. besides, that's most of the hip hop i like anyway, so it works out for me.