Who knows how record labels work??

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Who knows how record labels work??

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue May 20, 2003 11:08 pm

I have some great music i have been doing for the last year or so and everybody that listens to it says that they would buy it if it was for sale..

my question is : are labels interesed in electro/shoegazer/psych/pop type music if there is not an interest in the people involved to play shows??

We have just been doing this for our own amusement but people are bugging out over it..there is this label that wants to give us a deal but they want to put together a live act and thats not what we want..

what should i do??

djimbe
tinnitus

Re: Who knows how record labels work??

Post by djimbe » Wed May 21, 2003 7:08 am

So we're just a tiny label and by no means any kind of bell weather for the industry, but we won't release material now from bands that don't perform, because show sales are such a large part of our business. We have in the past released some experimental electronic shoe-gazing type stuff from a few folks that don't tour, and we can't move the product. We live right on the very edge from month to month, and have to scrape to come up with the capital for a release. Hate to spend the dough to have discs in boxes on the stock shelves. That don't help anybody but our manufacturer! I'd love to get the material that my music partner and I make out there, and you'd think it would be easy as someone with an ownership stake in a label, but we're basically a drum and guitar duo and won't (can't actually) tour, so nice dice. I guess I'm saying we released what we thought was good material from non-performing acts, and you may find someone who will do the same for you so keep looking. Unfortunately, our site, our distributors, and Amazon don't move enough of those records to make it financially worthwhile if the band isn't regularly putting the goods in front of living, breathing sets of ears. Sorry I don't have more encouraging news for you, but maybe others here might. You can check out our catalog at www.perishablerecords.com if yer interested in what we've put out...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed May 21, 2003 12:33 pm

Your very best bet is to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

spesimen
audio school graduate

Post by spesimen » Wed May 21, 2003 4:13 pm

electro - maybe
shoegazer/psych/pop - not as likely

the only way to find out is talk to more labels or DIY.

for electronic/dancey stuff there are a lot of labels that will put out 12" without tour support or anything. it seems significantly less common for pop or guitar stuff. probably because electronics aren't really that compelling of a performance anyway and are usually sold to dj's for the purpose of playing at clubs, which replaces the need to 'perform' it..

try talking to overseas labels if at all possible. experimental music has much more exposure to the public in europe compared to the usa's clearchannel/mtv axis. (or so my acquaintances in europe say)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed May 21, 2003 6:59 pm

All-

Thanks for the insight.

Anybody else??

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Wed May 21, 2003 10:03 pm

What are you trying to accomplish?

Do you want a viable business that shows black ink?
Do you want exposure to get the music to as many people as possible?
Do you want loyal, dedicated fans?
Do you want many, many fans?
Do you want a vinyl release? CD release?
Do you want any regional/ national distribution?
Do you want online sales?
Do you want your music easily available via mp3theft.com?
Regional/ national radio play?
Local dance clubs?

It's really hard to have all of the above. Very hard, and, in fact, all of that is going to have a price tag starting at six digits -OR- a very, very, VERY dedicated person. Probably both.

My thoughts: Set some realistic goals that you can attain yourself, or at least with a few good friends and relatives.

The problem with most bands is that they expect record deals to be the end goal, one that will solve their need to handle any "dirty work," and focus only on music.

Such could not be farther from the truth.

It may sound like bullshit, but it's some pretty real bullshit.
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu May 22, 2003 12:40 am

i just wanted to know if record labels put out things from recording projects that dont do shows..

but i do want more veggie corndogs

and my own robot

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Thu May 22, 2003 10:20 am

I've been toying with the idea of starting a label for a while, but after working for a indie label for over a year I changed my mind. It is incredibly hard work for little financial reward, especially in this economy. However....

I think that many labels now are breaking the mold of how records are made and released. For example, if your music is already ready for manufacturing, then this project will require very little start-up money and you have a better shot a getting someone to pick it up. And maybe you can work something out like having your product available on their website and in their catalog, but not distributed regionally or nationally. Research labels that are releasing music that you think fits with your project and see if you can't get something worked out.

Or if you beleive in what you are doing and will work hard for it, just do it yourself. Have a 1000 copies made for around a grand and take it to all the cool local record shops and see if they will sell it on consignment. Send the disks to local media (College radio stations, college newspapers, local entertainment weeklies, local dailies, etc) and call them every week to review/play the music until they tell you no. Obviously don't be pushy or rude, but be persistent. A little work will go a long way and you will meet a lot of cool people and integrate further into your local music scene.

Jordan

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Thu May 22, 2003 12:12 pm

Exactly. My point was merely, "What will an indie label do for you that you can't?"

Simple. Pay for manufacturing. The downside to that is that they will most likely take all revenue from product sales until the cost of Mfg is recouped, after which point, it will probably be split 50/50.

They may also be able to provide some decent graphic arts and a website, and perhaps some other perks.

But I promise, most people find themselves stuck with a label that's not making any money and has little or no marketing and promotional strength, mostly because it's artists tend to assume that marketing & promotion is solely the label's responsibility.

Again, such is not the case.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu May 22, 2003 12:43 pm

Well said Cassembler! The more I see the seemy underbelly of this business the more I realize no one is going to effectively help you if you don't first do everything possible to help yourself. It's another of those weird ironies of the business. In order to get the "real help" you have to bust yer butt doing it yourself, sometimes for years, to prove you're worthy, dedicated, and all of that. By the time the "real help" comes along, you probably have things figured out for yourself and you may not need or want the help any more...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu May 22, 2003 1:13 pm

Can I ask a question? If your music is good, and you like to do it, why not put together a live band? Or you could figure out a way to play your music live, but as a solo artist, or with a few friends to help you out. There's just about nothing better.

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Thu May 22, 2003 2:40 pm

There's always the laptop performer....

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Thu May 22, 2003 2:41 pm

speaking as someone who runs a small label (sharingmachine.com):

if you do this you're basically asking the label to make a whole bunch of your cds and telling them you're not doing anything to promote them.

why would any label want to put out a cd by a group that doesn't even play live to promote its own music? i understand that you can't tour, but that just looks like a huge money sink to a label, unless you are somehow famous outside of your current project, and have something to draw people to buy your cd....

when people step to me and give me some cd they recorded at home, but they have no intention of ever playing live (even locally) to promote it, there is really no way to put it out without losing tons of money.

drew

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu May 22, 2003 3:28 pm

thanks again..

all your points are helping..

more??