Some fucker stole my credit card number!!!

dubphaser
pushin' record

Some fucker stole my credit card number!!!

Post by dubphaser » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:14 am

I got a call from my wife this afternoon... "Honey, did you spend $800 at Staples?" - What the...!!! The card is chillin' in my wallet. I've been at work all day. My wife called the bank, let them know what's up and cancelled the card. Apparently they charged a bunch of stuff around town. I have an idea about where this might have happened but I don't have any proof. What can I do? I'm not liable for anything fraudulently charged to my account but I am totally freaked out by this shit. Has this ever happened to any of you?

I need a hug... :(

...and a machine gun!!! :ar15:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
FUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

swingdoc
tinnitus

Re: Some fucker stole my credit card number!!!

Post by swingdoc » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:27 am

That bites.
Im sorry.
it happened to me once, where I didnt know until I got my monthly statement and there has over $1000 of on-line gambling charges. Yah, instant freakout.
Here's some practical tips:
1. Definitely call your credit card customer support and they'll send you a fraudulant charge form to complete.
2. It might be a good idea to call th police as well and at get a case number for legal purposes.
3. definitely notify the Staples store
4. Call the three major credit reporting agencies:
Transunion: 1-800-680-7289
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experian: 1-800-422-4879.

These are the agencies that all the creditors go to for credit reports.
These agencies can set up some fraud protection rules for you. Like I had all three notify me everytime there is a request for a new line of credit under my name. thts seems like it should always be done anyway, but its not. That way, if the person who has your card tries to also open new credit cards etc under your name, they'll get blocked.

Also, ask them for a current credit rating and review them. Rry to remember to get one every year or two. that;ll keep you from missing any other problem with your credit.

5. Consider buying some credit protection on your card.
I have "Protection Plus" 1-800-338-3815. This is an agency that will "insure" your credit line for fraudulant charges and losses. They cost $50 every 3 years. Not a bad deal. If you lose say a purse and have all your cards and ID's in it, you can call them, and they'll organize cancelling and restarting all of your cards for you. They can also reimburse you if your card compnay doesnt cover your fraud charge (which they should by the way).

You'll be OK, just take some time tomorrow to get this shit done.
Mark

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:29 am

Yup, it's happened to me. Twice. I called the card company, got the card cancelled and a new account number assigned. The credit card company sent me an affidavit to sign--I was to look over the next month's bill and circle any charges I knew weren't mine, sign the affidavit and send both documents back to them. I think at that point there's an investigation to make sure you're not defrauding them, comparing signatures and stuff, but if you're on the level that's usually the end of it--you get a new card with a new number and the $800 at Staples and whetever else gets taken off your balance, and you're left with nothing much worse than a vague feeling of violation and vulnerability. Credit card companies have to deal with this a lot, especially now that the internet is used so much for commerce, and they've got it pretty much figured out so that you're not penalized for losing your card. Unfortunately, it costs THEM lots of dough, and that keeps fees high, but unfortunately crime and dishonesty are parts of our culture that likely won't go away.

It sucks but you'll be okay.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:33 am

It's never happened to me, but a couple of years ago, my 87-year-old grandmother apparently spent $50,000 on shoes in Italy! We still don't know how she ever got that wheelchair on the plane...

CCPP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

graveleye
steve albini likes it

Post by graveleye » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:57 am

oh dude.. I feel your pain.
Happened to me once but it was really our fault. My wife left our check card on the friggin counter at a mall at Christmas time. Before we knew it was gone someone had already started shopping. Before we even left the mall they had bought 5 leather jackets and that was only the beginning.
It was a nightmare, and took about two months to sort out.
Good luck to mate.
its hard, but it will be fixed.
Kev
talk talk its only talk

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:13 pm

Someone has my Social Security Number.
I now have no credit history.
I can't get a phone line because I don't exist.
Last night, a fire extinguisher fell on my head.

Good Times!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:33 pm

Yup. Mine got intercepted during an online transaction as far as I can tell. They spent about $50 before my Bank put a lockdown on my card... they tried to spend way more than they were able to... got a call from a european spa / bed and breakfast... "excuse me sir, the card number you gave us didn't go through, in order to ensure your reservation... .." haw! the $50 he/she did spend was all online stuff.. like video game clubs, a domain name, etc. Easily dealt with, thank gawd. At least, thanks to my Bank's itchy automated card-stopping trigger finger.

It feels pretty damned violating, don't it.

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:58 pm

it's best to make a habit of never doing online transactions (especially if you have other online apps in the background...i.e. a chat room window, messengers, telnet session etc). also on the phone- especially when using one of those 800+ giga-fuckin-hertz portable phones and cels where someone nearby might have a radio scanner, shortwave/multi channel radio etc. a friend in an apartment building always makes it a point to try to use his oldschool landline phone for more serious calls, where someone might be listening in. i.e. telling someone on the other end of the phone call your plans and such and saying how no one will be home for x amount of time which basically gives the 'privacy violator' an intinerary/schedule of your doings/comings & goings etc etc...

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:12 pm

Thanks Swingdoc and everybody for the good advice! The card is actually a Visa ATM debit card. The bank says that the card was present for all of the fraudulent transactions. All charged in nearby cities. They went to Staples, Robinsons-May, a restaurant, and a bunch of gas stations. They "cloned" the card somehow. The bank people were very good about the whole thing. They're sending me some paperwork to fill out and have taken everything off the account. Gotta do the police report, file reports with credit agencies. What a drag. I'm gonna start paying for stuff in wheat and livestock.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:36 pm

dubphaser wrote:I'm gonna start paying for stuff in wheat and livestock.
You're going to need a bigger wallet!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:43 pm

dubphaser wrote:Thanks Swingdoc and everybody for the good advice! The card is actually a Visa ATM debit card. The bank says that the card was present for all of the fraudulent transactions. All charged in nearby cities. They went to Staples, Robinsons-May, a restaurant, and a bunch of gas stations. They "cloned" the card somehow. The bank people were very good about the whole thing. They're sending me some paperwork to fill out and have taken everything off the account. Gotta do the police report, file reports with credit agencies. What a drag. I'm gonna start paying for stuff in wheat and livestock.
You are probably the victim of a white card scam. People set up fake ATMS to intercept card stripes and pins. With this info they create a fake card with your stripe info and use your PIN. There are more elaborate variations that have sprung up too...

mark