bands i don't "get"

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: bands i don't "get"

Post by joeysimms » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:47 am

Get with it rob, great tunes ARE sexy. show me one that's not.
beware bee wear

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:50 am

Dude I just did - the 2 REM winners. Man - what? Gimme spantume golax.

Shonil??

sunsetyellow
buyin' a studio

Post by sunsetyellow » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:51 am

joeysimms wrote:See, I've read much about Peter Green but never heard that version. is the difference as drastic as Pink Floyd w/ Syd vs after??
If anything I think the difference is greater. Try downloading/getting out of the library the tracks "Albatross" (UK no.1 doncha know), "Need Your Love So Bad", "Oh Well (Pt. 1)" and "The Green Manalishi". Excellent late-sixties British blues with originality and sensitivity.

Before 'ver Mac, Peter Green replaced Clapton (when he was good) in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. And filled the role rather well by all accounts.
The revolution will not be... not if you berks have anything to do with it.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:52 am

You don't need put a "'" before "ver". Just ver will suffice.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:57 am

bobbydj wrote:Dude I just did - the 2 REM winners. Man - what? Gimme spantume golax.

Shonil??
Orange Crush? That's not sexy..
sunsetsy-wetsy wrote: If anything I think the difference is greater. Try downloading/getting out of the library the tracks "Albatross" (UK no.1 doncha know), "Need Your Love So Bad", "Oh Well (Pt. 1)" and "The Green Manalishi". Excellent late-sixties British blues with originality and sensitivity.
I've heard Judas Priest's version of "green manalishi", I'll have to give it a go, though using the word 'sensitivity' doesn't bode much!!
beware bee wear

sunsetyellow
buyin' a studio

Post by sunsetyellow » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:01 am

joeysimms wrote:Orange Crush? That's not sexy..
Yes, it is...
joeysensimilia wrote:I've heard Judas Priest's version of "green manalishi", I'll have to give it a go, though using the word 'sensitivity' doesn't bode much!!
I meant not wanky, histrionic or po-faced. Honest, understated, er... just listen to the fucking records. :roll: :wink:
The revolution will not be... not if you berks have anything to do with it.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:08 am

sunsetyellow wrote:
joeysimms wrote:Orange Crush? That's not sexy..
Yes, it is...
Oh yeah, it's right up there with muddy waters' "I wanna put a tiger in your tank"..
yellowest-sensetest-of-everymoor wrote:
joeysensimilia wrote:I've heard Judas Priest's version of "green manalishi", I'll have to give it a go, though using the word 'sensitivity' doesn't bode much!!
I meant not wanky, histrionic or po-faced. Honest, understated, er... just listen to the fucking records. :roll: :wink:
Ok Ok, simmer down..I'll check 'em out.
beware bee wear

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:28 pm

There are a lot of things that people don't get that I think are awesome, and a lot of stuff that people are defending that I loathe. Most music I get, I either like it or I hate it. There is, however, one that eludes me: The Neptunes.

I mean, what the fuck? I can't even imagine how much money these guys have made. It's not just that I think their beats are fucking awful (though I do), it's that I can't understand how they're so popular. I think Ludacris is fucking terrible. Same thing with Missy Elliot (and almost every other "hip hop" act on the radio and television). But I can at least see how they're popular, because at least their songs are relatively catchy. But most of the Neptunes stuff isn't the least bit catchy, let alone really all that palatable. It sounds like they just pounded randomly on their sampler and then just quantized the ensuing mess into 4/4 time. I just don't get it at all.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:02 am

Wu-Tang Clan and Slipknot.

Why so many fucking people?

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Post by spideyjack » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:22 pm

this thread is cracking me up!!!!

i
spideyjack

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:07 pm

just thought i'd add... Tv on the Radio. blech.

slamonson
audio school graduate

Post by slamonson » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:57 pm

smashmouth- well we all probably think they are abit funny
(the cheeseburger bagelbites need their new jingle, guys...so do the yogurt tube people, so get crackin' fat mouth)

fugazi
(music aside-some early stuff is crazy enough)
here in DC its an upper-class, preaching (i do mean preachy) to the converted vibe that i can't seem to feel good about.

mars volta
(wanky, silly, histrionic vocals do nothing but make me laugh my ass off! too much "look at me i'm playing lotsa wierd, chorusy licks and here comes the token electronic parts" plus the overly loud mastering..--sheesh i need a fuckin valium factory for this type of shit)

alot of stuff i refuse to list--- its too ridiculous to call out entire parts of the music community. lets just say if i hear about it alot---too much trendy hype, bad boy behaviour, "special cases" (the band that is the only new band on a stagnant yet reputable indie label, these guys are REALLY the most punk, most post-punk, most political yadda yadda).

so my invisible list gets longer everyday and i can't rationally explain why i dislike or can't understand certain bands. i guess i am getting old. :lol:

on a positive note i am checking out alot of synth, psych and punk/garage stuff from the 60s and 70s-
terry reilly, morton subotnick, vangelis, eno, neu, kraftwerk, USA, the pebbles comps
also some new stuff- skywave, alcian blue -- shoegaze that makes BRMC look like a "special case" -see above

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:16 pm

concubine wrote:here are some of mine:

radiohead - i've heard their albums many times, and to this day, i think they're heinously dull. IMHO, they simply can't write songs. it's all just mood and tension and rhythmic stuff.

Wow. That sound like perfection to me. If I could master "mood and tension and rhthymic stuff" I'd be falling all over myself. I think the 'yeah-yeah-yeah' chorus is great, but there's definitely a place for the prior. I'm neutral++ to the band, but it's definitely nice that their kind can be so successful.

MechaGodzilla
gettin' sounds

Post by MechaGodzilla » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:25 pm

ahem.

Power Metal. WTF? ...I thought we, as a society, were past this. =)

Peace,
A

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:58 am

slamonson wrote: mars volta
(wanky, silly, histrionic vocals do nothing but make me laugh my ass off! too much "look at me i'm playing lotsa wierd, chorusy licks and here comes the token electronic parts" plus the overly loud mastering..--sheesh i need a fuckin valium factory for this type of shit)
some friends of mine saw them play at CMJ in new york... they played something like 4 songs in 3 hours. they're the indie rock equivalent of a jam band. and it's not good.
that devil bastard protools