Buy American

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Buy American

Post by Electricide » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:35 am

having read today that Levi officially closed its last two sewing plants in the US, I have committed myself to buying products made in the USA. This will be difficult in Pro Audio, as the Chinese LDC's and Japanese technologies are prevalent. But clothes and stuff, USA all the way

wish me luck

www.buyamerican.com

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: Buy American

Post by bedbug » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:49 am

Shit man. First converse and now Levi. That's like, half my wardrobe. I'm so not into the idea of having 6 year olds make my clothes.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:50 am

This will be difficult in Pro Audio, as the Chinese LDC's and Japanese technologies are prevalent.
I wouldn't touch a Chinese mic if they put a gun to my head. Japanese stuff is excellent tho. Japan also has one of the highest living standards in the world and child labor is absolutely unheard of (unlike even our own country - anyone ever been to the garment district in LA?)

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:56 am

yeah, maybe japan doesn't bother me so much..healthy economy over there is good, I guess, but it does contribute to our import export imbalance. China/indonesia bad.

But I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha magic stomp, so I'd better start feeling ok about it.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:43 am

.. anyone ever been to the garment district in LA?
Unbelievably ironic that a few blocks from where all this wealth and good cheer is on display like a fat cock (disney hall anyone?), there's women and children working 15 hr days at $1 an hour.. No wonder all these fashion names do so well out there! Who knew it was so darned cheap to get good help!

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:05 am

No wonder all these fashion names do so well out there! Who knew it was so darned cheap to get good help!
Kathy Lee to the rescue!

CC
PP
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:58 pm

thats why i wanna see Russia take off. old skool know how in a struggling post-commie nation. gotta see them take off at some point.
boobs are life's fountain

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:17 pm

cman548 wrote:But clothes and stuff, USA all the way

wish me luck

www.buyamerican.com
Good Luck! My wife works in the fashion industry-- buying mass-market clothing made in the US is going to be harder than you might realize.

You could start making clothes. That would be staight up Amish, dude.
don gochenour

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:32 pm

Um... Good luck.

A friend of mine is a clothing designer, and she's working on her own line right now. She said the only way in hell she could ever afford to do it is to contract the work to China. I have mixed feelings about the way the global economy is working right now, but as it stands right now she's slaving away designing for a company that's doing the same damn thing. Why shouldn't she get a piece of the action?
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

mechanic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mechanic » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:51 pm

as it stands right now she's slaving away designing for a company that's doing the same damn thing. Why shouldn't she get a piece of the action?
Ummm... I'm not taking sides or anything, but just to answer your rhetorical question.

She shouldn't get a piece of the action because it's not the right thing to do.

pretty simple.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:34 pm

mechanic wrote:
as it stands right now she's slaving away designing for a company that's doing the same damn thing. Why shouldn't she get a piece of the action?
Ummm... I'm not taking sides or anything, but just to answer your rhetorical question.

She shouldn't get a piece of the action because it's not the right thing to do.

pretty simple.
Sorry. It's not simple. If we as consumers didn't demand so much cheap shit she would not be in this position. Sure she could have a place in Manhattan sew the clothes for her, but for someone just entering the market, the manufacturing costs would be astronomical. Without the cache of an established brand, nobody is going to pay that kind of money at a store, and no store buyer is going to take that kind of risk. That doesn't make her decision "right" in the absolute moral sense, but it's her only option.

Let he who is without sin yadda, yadda, yadda...
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:14 pm

I'm not sure where I stand on this, but I thought I'd throw out this link for some of you:
http://www.americanapparel.net/

mechanic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mechanic » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:40 pm

Sorry. It's not simple. If we as consumers didn't demand so much cheap shit she would not be in this position. Sure she could have a place in Manhattan sew the clothes for her, but for someone just entering the market, the manufacturing costs would be astronomical. Without the cache of an established brand, nobody is going to pay that kind of money at a store, and no store buyer is going to take that kind of risk. That doesn't make her decision "right" in the absolute moral sense, but it's her only option.

her only option?

c'mon.

how about "I'm not gonna enter this field because this field is ruining the lives of human beings"

I guess there's not much 'profit' in that.

or, as above, how about marketing 'human friendly' clothes... American Apparel (not an endorsment) seems to do pretty well with that marketing...

you're right, we, as consumers, demand too much cheap shit... the most frustrating part is that we've come to feel like we 'need' or 'deserve' all this crap... just like it seems you feel she 'needs' to make a profit (even at other humans expense)...

she has options, we all do... but we prefer the easy profitable way. It ironic you acknowledge this as a problem and endorse it at the same time.

Not a diss, friend. I am surely not without sin... OR blah blah blah...

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:37 am

Fuck imperialist, white people. FUCK AMERICA.
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:20 am

Haha - yeah what he said!
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)