takin' a dinner break

Re: Toto

Post by cyrusjulian » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Bee-Gee's anybody??

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:16 pm

the beat on staying alive is a tape loop. thats pretty bad ass.

regardless of what (valid) shit you want to talk about beegees, those dudes could sing.

dave

bunghole
audio school

Post by bunghole » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:40 pm

Steely Dan at least had sophistication and a sense of humour. Toto were nothing but a mountain of cocaine.

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:43 pm

Thanks soundguy! At first I was kinda embarrassed to mention the Bee-Gee's but if you really listen to their songs, they actually have pretty complex chord progressions. And if anybody wants to talk shit, you try singing falsetto and getting ladies. They were PIMPS!!!

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:50 pm

I don't care what anyone says. The Bee-Gees were definitely bad-ass. There are some serious grooves going on with those guys.

-mark

SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

Post by SLiM BiLT » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:03 pm

So, about Toto...

This may be total B.S., but I heard somewhere that Jeff Porcaro did in fact die in a "bizarre gardening accident". Apparently the fertilizer or some chemical he was exposed to in his garden reacted with the medication he was on. The two chemicals combined fatally in his bloodstream.

Life imitates art, indeed.
<i>Captain, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man.</i>

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:12 pm

You could probably get a lot of people behind the concept that the beegee's single handedly sold disco to a huge majoriity of Americans. There was disco before Staying Alive, but that tune is really what got all sorts of americans into leisure suits. That song seriously affected people and there are not a lot of tunes from the 70's that ruled on culture like that tune did. Thats power, and it wasnt all from marketing. It was a catchy tune that stuck in peoples head and made it easy for white people to fuck. You gotta remember, before that song existed, someone had to write it. Just the first line to that tune, Well you can tell by the way I use my walk Im a womans man no time to talk, something like that, I dont know, if someone were to place the mountain of money in front of me that was made from that tune and say, here ya go, its yours if you can write it, for a song that is labeled as totally inane, Im quite sure I couldnt have turned that one out.

The trifects has to be BeeGees / Abba / Supertramp

dave

Noodles
pluggin' in mics

Post by Noodles » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:05 pm

"There is no art, there is only do."

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:24 pm

Enjoy the mirrors. I used to have an REO Speedwagon mirror. I didn't think bands still sold mirrors--is there an Interpol mirror?
I used to have a Lynyrd Skynyrd mirror. I pwn you all!

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:47 pm

holy shit, did you get that mirror at the arts and crafts fair?

I used to have a led zeppelin mirror which sadly I misplaced in my youth before I had any real good use for a mirror.

CCHP has a retractable Thompson Twins mirror under the armrest on his old console, I know, he showed me.

dave

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:55 pm

You can get those mirrors still at the Ohio State Fair.

Anyhow, one day the video guys I was working with were sick of all the squeeks tuning with Steely Dan over and over. So they went out and got a SD DVD to tune the video with. Just my two cents to keep it alive!!!
Nerfler on!

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:58 pm

This one's special....

It goes to eleven.

dave

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:45 pm

SLiM BiLT wrote:So, about Toto...

This may be total B.S., but I heard somewhere that Jeff Porcaro did in fact die in a "bizarre gardening accident". Apparently the fertilizer or some chemical he was exposed to in his garden reacted with the medication he was on. The two chemicals combined fatally in his bloodstream.

Life imitates art, indeed.
Actually, it's quite sad. The dude had quit blow and was trying really hard to get his life in shape, largely because of his kids. Gardening had become something he was really getting into. Apparently he had this reaction, then he called his doctor, who asked him what his pulse was. He put down the phone to check and never picked it back up. I don't give a shit what you say about Toto. That dude was one bad-ass fucking drummer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:29 am

soundguy wrote:holy shit, did you get that mirror at the arts and crafts fair?
At the Ingham County Fair, bro. In good ol' Mason, Michigan. Where the tractors out-number teeth about 4 to 1.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:07 am

soundguy wrote:You could probably get a lot of people behind the concept that the beegee's single handedly sold disco to a huge majoriity of Americans. There was disco before Staying Alive, but that tune is really what got all sorts of americans into leisure suits. That song seriously affected people and there are not a lot of tunes from the 70's that ruled on culture like that tune did. Thats power, and it wasnt all from marketing. It was a catchy tune that stuck in peoples head and made it easy for white people to fuck. You gotta remember, before that song existed, someone had to write it. Just the first line to that tune, Well you can tell by the way I use my walk Im a womans man no time to talk, something like that, I dont know, if someone were to place the mountain of money in front of me that was made from that tune and say, here ya go, its yours if you can write it, for a song that is labeled as totally inane, Im quite sure I couldnt have turned that one out.

The trifects has to be BeeGees / Abba / Supertramp

dave

The story from the BeeGees themselves is that the disco thing was a one-off joke. The producer asked barry if he could pull some falsetto and he was just fucking around and look what happened. The mix online articles tell the story of the drum loop for Stayin Alive (which they used on 1 or 2 other songs). You can't touch the BeeGees.

But dave dave dave,. please get that supertramp outta there. They have no business being in that list!

I had a van halen mirror in HS but only got to "try" it with crushed up downers..