for those interested or not. pixies

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
howiemarx
gettin' sounds

for those interested or not. pixies

Post by howiemarx » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:01 pm

from pitchfork:

Pixies to Sell Live CDs on North American Tour
Steve Albini to be "blandly entertained" by band at "their top dollar best"
Ryan Schreiber reports:
Looks like the Pixies have found another unique way to maximize profitability on their upcoming reunion tour: Billboard reported Friday that the band will be touring with a mobile studio, courtesy of DiscLive, which will allow them to record each show and sell the results on limited-edition CDRs roughly 10-15 minutes after the concert ends, though vouchers will be made prior to the shows. The discs from each concert will reportedly be limited to 1,000 copies, with 2,000 being pressed for the band's performance at Coachella on May 1st.

DiscLive's website reveals that their methods for recording concerts involves "a patent-pending proprietary technology" within a "mobile mastering and manufacturing facility" that allows them to create 800 CDs in 20 minutes-- the first 200 of which are finished less than five minutes after the show ends. All recordings are captured off a soundboard feed using ambient microphones, which allows for a professionally mastered recording. On Thursday, DiscLive's website began taking pre-orders for each show at $25 a disc, with the band's first stop in Minneapolis on April 13th having already sold out. The site claims these discs will not be repressed. (Until 4AD needs funding for the inevitable Colourbox and Wolfgang Press reunions in 2006.)

JasonW
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: for those interested or not. pixies

Post by JasonW » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:14 pm

I haven't been this excited since... ever.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:17 pm

now that's hi tech! the future is here!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:52 pm

howiemarx wrote:limited-edition CDRs roughly 10-15 minutes after the concert ends, though vouchers will be made prior to the shows.
So if the show sucks, at least you've got it documented, right?

Chris

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:18 am

I'll take Mission of Burma reunion over the Pixies any day. Outside of "Gigantic", I'm pretty indifferent about them. Plus, Kim Deal hasn't kicked her habit yet, and needs the dough. She should join her sister in rehab out here in MN. (The Land of 10000 rehab centers- that's how we get people in from the East coast).

[Ducks for cover....] :P

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:41 am

Wow thats funny, one of my friends went to rehab in MN.

Oh yeah, and that Pixies thing seems like it could be cool. I would be more excited if Morrissey did it though.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:49 am

My cousin works at Hazelden in MN - apparently the rehab of choice for celebrities of all walks of life. It's like they walk right from the red carpet into Hazelden! I believe that's where Kelly was doing her thing...

CM
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:55 am

Holy eff! Is that FRANK FUCKING BLACK! What the?? Dude's on the pipe???

CM
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:25 am

kayagum wrote:Plus, Kim Deal hasn't kicked her habit yet, and needs the dough. She should join her sister in rehab out here in MN. [Ducks for cover....] :P
What "habit" is that exactly? Do they have gossipy-untrue-rumor-mill rehab? Check it out. :)

--Nick

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:47 am

Kelly Osbourn should have went to a fat camp. Hows that for rehab.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:03 am

I love the Pixies.

but, $25 for a live cd that's mixed live on the spot and mastered instantaneously?? I wonder what preset they'll use? ;)

sounds like they'll be making $25,000 per show for selling board mixes!

not bad work if you can get it.

"hey, this sounds like shit!"

"uh, sorry, but we got it to you 5 minutes after the show!"

some smart kid with a laptop could make a fortune in the parking lot selling copies for $15.

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:13 am

I could be stating the obvious, but DiscLive has been working this concept for a while already. A couple of venues here in Boston have used it. First I've heard of a $25 price tag on the cd, but that's just a matter of supply and demand.

I wouldn't dis the Pixies for doing this at all. I can't get why a lot of folks harp on a band for doing this or that (first: Pixies reunite, then: Pixies play 3 festival shows with RHCP, now: sell live cds)...if the mindset is that a band like Pixies has a lot of dough, so why do they hafta do this or that, well, you may be wrong wrong wrong. Frank Black is on a small label and doesn't sell millions. Deal hasn't put out enough stuff or toured enough to make much scratch. The rest of them, I dunno. Nobody knows except all these folks' accountants. If you don't want the live cd, don't buy one.

I think the idea of buying a cd of a show you just attended, documenting a great night out and some killer music, is a fantastic idea. More power to them.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:16 am

i don't mean to be so mean... but when and how quickly did frank black become so fat and bald? it was like in 10 years he became an old fat bald man. hmm.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:24 am

cassettefetish wrote:
kayagum wrote:Plus, Kim Deal hasn't kicked her habit yet, and needs the dough. She should join her sister in rehab out here in MN. [Ducks for cover....] :P
What "habit" is that exactly? Do they have gossipy-untrue-rumor-mill rehab? Check it out. :)

--Nick
Here's my speculation/theory (and if that's gossip, sue me :twisted: ):

* Kelley Deal (Kim's twin sister) did do a stint at Hazelden in 1994 after she got busted for accepting a package of smack through the mail.

* My theory is that, if you buy Kelley's explanation that this is a genetic predisposition, that Kim isn't too far off.... she just hasn't run afoul of the law (i.e. not getting caught). Alcohol seems to be the substance of choice- documented in interviews if you do a Google search.

* It's no secret that Frank and Kim didn't get along. It's also no secret that nobody has had a financially profitable post-Pixies career (unless David Lovering got paid a lot for playing in Cracker- depends how much their A&R screwed them over). Debateable if any of them had a more artistically successful career after the breakout (my opinion: Frank- relatively yes; Kim- no).

* I remain open-minded- if they collectively come up with good new material, then I will stand corrected. Let's see if they can come up with something approaching anything as good as "Wounded World" (see topic on Mission of Burma).

The reunion just smacks of financial convenience. It's their right to play in a free market, but it's also my right to sit this one out. So there :wink: