78's

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

78's

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:04 pm

Has anyone here gotten in to 78's at all, or had experience with them??? I dunno. Just something to talk about. Been thinking about finding myself a victrola. I have a Dual turntable that can play 78's but its broken.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Re: 78's

Post by NewYorkDave » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:17 pm

Not sure what you mean by "getting into" 78s, but they were still common as dirt when I was a kid, I owned several and I listened to them a number of times. So I guess I've "gotten into" 78s.

78s require a different equalization curve from that of LPs (and to make matters worse, the EQ wasn't really standardized in the 78 era), as well as a different type of stylus. So while one can find turntables that include a 78 speed, you won't really get correct playback if you're using a modern diamond stylus and an RIAA-equalized phono preamp. I think a modern stylus might actually harm an old shellac 78 over time, but don't quote me on that.

I worked, for a short time, at a Folk/NPR station in the Bronx that sometimes had need to play 78s. Their turntables were equipped with two sets of tonearms and preamps for just that purpose. I remember that I helped to install new remote starts on the turntables in one studio (to interface to the new Wheatstone console we'd put in), and I had a good time pissing off the old hippie folkies at the station by checking my work with a Ramones record :)

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:36 pm

Yeah, I got a seperate stylus for my Dual just to play 78's. I had maybe one or two 78's when I was kid, don't know what I played them on. But cirtenly haven't heard one in a long time. I really think that of all the technology we've gotten over the years, that the old discs and cylinders are the most fascinating. Just that we don't need electricty or computers. I've never heard recorded sound that wasn't process electricly before. I dunno. I had just been reading an article in billboard where they had mentioned tape vs direct to disc. I have no insight on direct to disc.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:10 pm

problem with the victrolas is the older 78s are the ones that they're well mated with, so slapping on, say, that Blue Note 78 is not only a travesty, it's not "correct" either. couple that with the fact that there's a number of different speeds that 78s were made at, at least the early ones.

but yeah, on your original question, i've "gotten into" 78s myself, see the "records you're proud to own" [sic] thred. joeysimms too, IIRC. i'd get that Dual working if you'd like to play them back, the victrolas will tear into your records something fierce.

they're neat, but they're getting rarer. at least the neat ones. i can always find a tommy dorsey 78 when i want.

how many fucking records did those two sell anyway?

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:45 pm

bing crosby had billions too..

I have a real nice 78 player wood cabinet thingy and a lot of those little 78 records from my grandparents..too bad al the music they have (100's of 78's) all blow out a pig's asshole..Well some of them are actually really cool but most of them i dont care for..they have a real interesting sound though.. i like the sound of them a lot..

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:14 am

My turntable plays 78s. I found all of these rad gospel records and high school band records at a library sale for like a nickel a piece.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:59 am

WTF was i trying to say in the above post. argh. brain, off, post, on.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:05 pm

I've got a bunch of sound effect records and a few classical recordings on 78, but no player. My friend's grandfather is obsessed with old radios and he's gonna give me a player. I think it will be cool.