cancelling clients and work fustrations

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

cancelling clients and work fustrations

Post by dungeonsound615 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:36 am

So today i was supposed to record someone and they cancelled on me cause they had some lifeguarding thing they had to do. Also last week i had another band cancel on me because there bass player was going to be out of town for easter.

1. SO my friend suggested i should come up with some kinda contract to deal with this and other things i may need to do to cover my ass. But im not sure if i should do this or what i shoudl include if i do decide to go the contract route.

2 ive been in operation for about a year now and have recorded around 7 bands, Some good some mediocre. IVe been advertising on many forums on the net, have hung up flyers, gotten some work via word of mouth, I have also taken Hillary's advice and go to shows and talk to bands that i would like to work with, and trying to get myself known that way.

So work has been a little slow my last question is this for being in operation for only a year is 7 a high or low number of bands to have worked with. Im just wondering where im averaging and how busy out of the month most people are. So let me know if 7 seems like a good number of people to have dealt with in one year or if you think i shoudl be at a higher number.
thanks Mike

chris harris
speech impediment

Re: cancelling clients and work fustrations

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:51 am

you could have a great year and only work with one client, if that client spends enough time working for you to pay your bills.

ask for a deposit to book studio time. have them write you a check for $100 and if they cancel without sufficient notice, cash it.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:58 am

This sucks. I feel your pain. I have a band that had this upcoming weekend booked for some time who suddenly, last week, decided to implode and cancel the session. Seems I've had a lot of those lately: bands breaking up mid project or as soon as it's done...

If they give me a week's notice, I can't really do much. If they don't show up or if they only give me a day's notice, I usually threaten them with a token cancellation fee, but the bottom line is that I'm screwed unless I can fill that spot quick.

Especially when your taxes are due, and you need a new car, and your morgage is due..... it really sucks.

We're re-doing our website right now, and there will be a mention of cancellation fees that we'll insist that all new clients are aware of. It's good to mention it up front, but in a non-chalant way...like "here's a sheet that explains the studio and the procedures...."

Sometimes you're working with close friends and it's hard to insist on fees like that, and in the end you're still screwed, but if you can at least deter someone from cancelling by threatening to charge them, then you're better off.

Also, make a habit of checking in with a client, like your dentist does... "this is just a call to verify that you're booked this weekend. We're starting at 10AM...."

Roger

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:17 am

Non refundable deposit. Make them give you 30% of the overall time booked, and tell them it is non refundable. Make it a serious committment. People respond to this. Make it a blanket policy, so there is no playing favorites, or discrimination of any kind. A deposit makes people show up.

Of course you can use your discretion, like of someone is just way too sick, you can defer and apply the deposit towards the session "rain date" but make it a policy NOT to hand back deposits no matter what.

If someone wants to record with you, they should be able to give you a deposit and seal the deal.

I work with so many people in a year I dont even know how many, but they put deposits on the time they are booking, so I dont stress when they dont call for a month or whatever.

I assume that someone would not just walk on a decent chunk of money, and if they dont show up, I make 33 cents on the dollar to have a nice day off!

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:41 am

This just got me thinking.... meet me over at the new thread about when YOU have to cancel....

Roger

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:40 am

does any one have sample contracts that deal with this?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:23 pm

This was a great thread.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=9922

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:25 pm

Sorry. Double Post. Message Board was acting up.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC