What happened to Danelectro guitars?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

What happened to Danelectro guitars?

Post by SLiM BiLT » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:37 pm

I'm talking about the Korean reissues, not the original ones. I just discovered that none of the big dealers stock them anymore and the Danelectro.com site no longer has a link to its guitar section. What the Hell is going on?

Did the company give up on them ? Are they all "discontinued"?

Tell me it ain't so!!
<i>Captain, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man.</i>

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Re: What happened to Danelectro guitars?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:48 pm

Does that make my reissue U2 "vintage"? 8)
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

FuzzGtr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by FuzzGtr » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:45 pm

yeah - i was in a store in seattle a few months ago and the clerk told me that they DID discontinue them. That's a real shame cuz they were both affordable and really cool.

however, there's quite a few people selling em on ebay though. get em before they go up!
-o-0 FUZZY 0-o-
------------------

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:12 pm

affordable... cool-looking... poor quality control... made out of flimsy materials...

Danelectro's whole deal is that they sell cool-looking gear for very cheap because it's all shit. I've had guitars, effects, amps, and ALL OF THEM HAVE BROKEN. Please save yourself the agony of the "Aw, shit, not another broken danelectro thing I gotta throw away" realization.

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:16 pm

Oh yeah:

U2 guitar: Neck SNAPPED IN TWO in shipping. It was packed more than adequately and the box was a bit banged up. Upon examination, it was made out of plywood. Returned to store and demanded a refund, not an exchange.

Three guitar pedals: Pots and/or stomp switches stopped working. They lived and died in my climate-controlled studio and I never even stepped on them. Replaced the stomp switch and pots on my chicken salad vibrato which lives in an aluminum case now; the other ones got the boot (not worth the money to fix cause they didn't sound good anyway.)

honeytone amp: worked fine for a few months, then self-destructed and only would make horrible howling noises. Threw away when I moved.

Nifty Fifty amp: worked fine for about a week, then sounded like ass, mis-biased or something, gave to my sister's boyfriend

what fueled this? I figured not everything they made was shit, so I'd see something for $40 at the store and say, "what the hell..." and now I know better.

drew
www.toothpastefordinner.com

FuzzGtr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by FuzzGtr » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:26 pm

heh - that's too bad - all i own is their chili dog octave divider which is ok - you get what u pay for!

BUT i have the pleasure of owning two original late 50's Dano's and I can say - i play them more than my other guitars.

they sure sound good thru my silvertone twin twelve and magnatone M8 tho!

FB
-o-0 FUZZY 0-o-
------------------

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:53 pm

Check out Neptune guitars...same thing only better.

I have been nothing but happy with my early model CoolCat analog chorus and DanEcho. They are sturdy and have never given me one bit of trouble. A lot of reviews say they break but it seems that most people would rather bitch about something than praise it, so many reviews seem slanted. Or maybe i got lucky twice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:12 pm

but it seems that most people would rather bitch about something than praise it
what a terribly sad world to live in!

wouldn't it be great if "people" would just be honest instead of getting some kind of emotional satisfaction from bitching about/praising something?

brakeshop
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by brakeshop » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:33 pm

I have a korean danelectro 12 string and a bass. I've never had a problem with them, but I also know they aren't built as sturdy as a fender, so I don't abuse them. They look cheap and feel cheap, but they play pretty well for the money. I kind of wish I bought a u2 when they were cheap.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:42 pm

FlowersForHuman wrote:Check out Neptune guitars...same thing only better.
Are these what you're talking about?

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/

Have you played them? They look cool for sure...

Leigh

beal9000
audio school

Post by beal9000 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:21 pm

leigh wrote:
FlowersForHuman wrote:Check out Neptune guitars...same thing only better.
Are these what you're talking about?

http://www.jerryjonesguitars.com/

Have you played them? They look cool for sure...

Leigh
I have two Jerry Jones guitars... a bari and Neptune 12-string. They're both great. Much more $$$ than the reissue Danelectros, but a much higher quality instrument. They are worth checking out.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:49 pm

that baritone guitar they had out was pretty cool when i played with one..i think it was mostly the novelty of playing a freak instrument like that though..

vagrantst
audio school

Post by vagrantst » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:17 pm

Another thumbs up for the Jerry Jones/Neptune line. I have a Jerry Jones 6-string bass. i had the original one piece bridge replaced with a 6 piece. Also have the Jerry Jones 12-string, Baritone, and the neptune Baby Sitar, all of which sound great and get regularly usage in the studio. I checked the Danelectro reissues too, but the sound/feel difference was obvious. of course so is the price but... I have friends who are very happy with their Danelectro reissues. I met Jerry Jones once, briefly...cool friendly guy.

www.vagrantsaints.com

FuzzGtr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by FuzzGtr » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:24 pm

although i've never met Jerry Jones - her show is really good - though i'm really upset to hear it was cancelled!

But seriously folks... the baritones are pretty darned cool

FB
-o-0 FUZZY 0-o-
------------------

SLiM BiLT
ass engineer

Post by SLiM BiLT » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:00 pm

Well, if they stopped making guitars I think that is a real shame. Dirty little secret: I LIKE crappy guitars! I went through an Airline, a Silvertone and a Harmony Stratotone before I picked up some of the new Danos and they really continued in that line, just with better tuners and slightly better intonation.

I have a Jerry Jones baritone and Baby Sitar, so I'm familiar with his stuff and his prices. Half the fun of the Danos was that they were so cheap! I got a Hodad bass from Musicians Friend for $100. Yep, 100 American dollars. It has some of the most unusual yet usable sounds I have ever heard a bass make. And I love the neck on the Hodad guitar. Cheap? Sorta. I think it was over $300. Korean? Sure. But, damn, that neck is perfect, and with the split p/u's it has a dozen or more totally distinct sounds.

Damn.
<i>Captain, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man.</i>