Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

Post by supafuzz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:18 am

A few month's ago it was the GOTTA HAVE IT!! things to get

Now that the excitement has died down is any one still loving that series?

especially the comps...what about the flanger?

I'm interested...before i pull the trigger on a couple of these
thanks
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

thenumber
steve albini likes it

Re: Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

Post by thenumber » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:44 am

my girlfriend got me the Bitrman for my birthday (shes a keeper). i love it. its a super fun toy with some bafflingly useful sounds. worth waaay more then what theyre charging at musicians friend. Id LOVE to buy the compressor, but im a broke motherfucker for another couple weeks. Hopefully that deal lasts

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:35 am

I just got the compressor. I think it's terrific. Six compressors and all of them useful on some level. I especially like the "look-ahead" limiter, which seems to be similar-sounding to the one on my Masterlink; it manages to "look ahead" and curb peaks with only a couple milliseconds of latency. I'm surprised at how quiet these units are--they are unbeatable at this price. Bitrman is my favorite, and I also have the Philtre, which is also very good. So yeah, still raving! They ought to have marketed them differently, or put them in boxes that looked less like stompboxes... but I'm glad they didn't 'cause I would not be paying forty bucks for them!

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:25 am

I just pulled the trigger on the compressor
at musician's friend for $40 bucks!!
Always looking for another comp for mixing

How's it on bass?
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

dubold
steve albini likes it

Re: Alesis MoFx- weighing in.

Post by dubold » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:10 am

the short version:

I picked up the vocoder-- at first I was not that excited about it, then I found a couple ways to make some crazed noises with it, and I was pretty pleased with what was coming out of it. If you want something that sounds similar to a vocoder and is slightly more reliable than a toy voicechanger, this is probably the way to go.

the specifics:

vocals:
I was trying to get some good robot voices out of it for a video game demo, but they weren't too intelligible.. just sounded "robotic". I had better luck just creating textured backing vocals. I tried both a sm57 and a U87 running through a tubetech preamp, through an LA22, into the box. I found that the best results for vocals came when I plugged in a modulation source, rather than using the built in noise generators.

guitars: mostly sounded like I was deep-frying the guitar. this was a les paul running through a boss distortion. maybe I'd have better luck with some other setup.

I haven't tried drums yet. maybe this weekend.

I totally agree with inverseroom's declaration that all available surfaces should be filled with pedals and effects boxes. I think this is sort of a one-trick box that would probably shine if used for that magic application. Don't know what it is yet though.

my final verdict is that I'm not unhappy with it because it was cheap. it really is built like a cheap stompbox. so don't stomp on it. if anybody else has one of these and wants to give me some insights into it, I'd love to hear what you've been doing

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:49 am

I have the Smashup now after reading about it here. It's the one time I've taken a chance on such a seemingly low-end item and I'm glad I did! It is very useful on some settings. I don't use it much except for special effect compression stuff, but it seems great for that. Hey! I paid $50 for mine and then they went down again! Guess I'll have to get another ModFX unit now. Which of the others is the most useful for regular work and not just crazy noises?

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:52 am

i have the bitrman,the philtre and the metavox.i have been using them a lot since they arrived a few months back.
i have a green bullet mic.every drum kit i have recorded lately has the bullet going into the bitrman to tape.i used to use a boss cs3 stomp box comp,but it can be a bit noisey.the bitrman comp is nice and "splatty" sounding.depending on the song it might get a bit of phasing and distortion.
i have a pro-one synth and have been using the audio input into the filter section for years.the philtre is joining that little gang now.again,i've been having it on drums,often a sub group of the toms,tap the philtre tempo and you can get some cool squelchy tom fills!.i've also had this before a reverb on an aux send.it's kinda cool to have the straight sound and then just a little philtre squiggle into the reverb.the bitrman has been in this position too.
i've been trying to get into the metavox lately.i've been working with an artist who is really into 70's soul and early electronic stuff,kinda sly stone meets kratwerk.........plenty of opportunity to get into some vocoding.drum machine modulated by a rhodes worked quite well.also you can get the box to make some cool noises itself,kinda like self oscillating....chuck that into a spring reverb and you have some nice sound bed/background textures to work over.........
might get the comp one next.
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:13 am

i got the philtre, bitrman and smashup and wasn't too taken with any of them, but i need to spend some more time messing with 'em i think.

hey matt, where are you placing the bullet mic on drums? i've been liking it kinda next to the rack tom about a foot from the snare. instant lofi coolness.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:29 am

I got a Metavox and Bitrman and really dig both of them. Metavox works best using your own modulation input (though you can get some really interesting tweaky sounds with the internal synth cuz of the knobs and buttons and stuff.).

Definitely worth every penny - and now that they've come down again, I think I'll be ordering at least one other model...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:29 am

http://www.gg1band.com/Index%203A/index-3A.html

there's a picture of the drums on the left hand side of the page,about half way down.you can kinda see the bullet mic in front of the kit slightly to the right of the kick pointing at a spot between the kick and snare,about two feet back......
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com[/img]
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:40 am

I have the Bitrman, and I love it. I am getting the smashup this afternoon.

Like mentioned above: I cant believe how quiet and worthwhile these things are.

I also love the fact that they really arent exactly like any of the other "flavor" or "dj" oriented FX boxes. These can get mean.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:53 am

penrithmatt wrote:http://www.gg1band.com/Index%203A/index-3A.html

there's a picture of the drums on the left hand side of the page,about half way down.you can kinda see the bullet mic in front of the kit slightly to the right of the kick pointing at a spot between the kick and snare,about two feet back......
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com[/img]
cool. thanks. that's basically where i've been liking it. insanely peaky going straight to digital though...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:46 am

hey, is sunsetyellow out there? have you gotten your bitrman to work yet?

anyway, the bitrman is still awesome for me. and i mean awesome in the real sense of the word, it inspires awe at how much you can destroy! it gives you a bit reduction effect that is pretty tricky to get in the digital realm. very forgiving compared to the plug-ins i have worked with...

and the sounds in it run pretty deep. when you start getting into the ordering of the effects... you can do some very different stuff. i just finished working on this electro-punk record where i rammed the entire mix during this instrumental part thru the bitrman.... SWEEEET BLOWOUT.

the metavox i find less useful. it is a funny little lofi vocoder. certainly NOT good enough for intelligible vocals. you aint gonna be no nucleus with this box.

i like it for drums though... adds a nice texture. when you send a low modulation source or use the built in synths tuned really low, it has a cute lo-fi digital craping out tone (as you go lower and lower it turns into a geiger counter). pretty fun for long decaying stuff.... sounds like some sort of digital communiciation network gone horribly wrong.

also synth leads are good thru it due to the funny texture.

i think i'll have to get the smashup at $40. shit.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:12 am

So I'm curious how people are using the Smashup? I've so far only used it as a drum buss comp, and it is pretty wicked. What have y'all done with it?

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:27 am

I've got the smashup on a send - I'll just dial whatever into it. It makes me happy to do that.

I've been dropping the philtre on random drums for a bar here and there for the "what the f*ck was that sound? rewind that, dammit!" effect.

The bitrman makes fadeouts more fun - slowly put the whole mix through it from clean to just plain wrong....