Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Re: Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

Post by YOUR KONG » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:05 pm

How's the Ampliton?

dstroud
takin' a dinner break

Post by dstroud » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:47 pm

My Smashup arrived yesterday and I got to test it out on a few mixes...

I never thought a dynamics processor could be 'fun,' but this thing is pretty wild. The fixed ratio is a little weird at first, but they change from mode to mode, so there's a good variety of sounds. The 'look ahead' feature works by delaying the signal 3ms or so while it checks the live signal for the threshold. It's also cool that they can be used as a 'stompbox' as well as an insert. I may get two for tracking.

-Dan

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:49 pm

from what i know about the bitrman, and from what everybody's saying, i'm thinking of purchasing the smashup.

I love compression.

I also love eating.

decisions.

it's only $40 though.

agh.
that devil bastard protools

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:37 pm

So far, it's just fair. I've done some recording of guitar with it here:

http://www.demoyourtrax.com/~purpletele ... litron.mp3

as well as all other 5 units, just replace "amplitron".mp3 with the name of the other ones.

It's OK, but no better than the analog pedals I have that do the same sounds, whereas the Phlngr, philtre, bitrman, faze, faze2 have unique tones as well as semi-conventional.

The Amplitron works, is quiet, and can be used subtley or wildly, but as a straight guitar effect, it's just fair. I think especially if you've got good trem on your amp already.

All my demos are using the "L" mono in/out, and I'm using the demo settings mostly so I may be missing some stereo effects.

King Kong Kitchie Kitchie wrote:How's the Ampliton?

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:41 pm

For guitarists, I'd recommend these in this priority:

bitrman

faze

phlngr

philtre

amplitron

smashup

I plan to just throw the smashup on a send on the mixer and try it on some vox and drum box.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:59 pm

jca83 wrote:a friend of mine told me there is a group of about 5 or so prototype ModFX that alesis never released. however, there are actual copies of the devices in existence...
I want it to be true--there was supposed to be a "Fidelity X" that did lots of lo-fi tricks, with a decade selector, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc. But all my pleas to Alesis were for naught. They don't even exist as Betas, apparently. Perhaps we can make it happen!

Of course, we're all only buying them because they're being discontinued...

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:22 pm

Damn Ampguy are those extra heavy jazz strings ya got on the guitar on that track? Sounds almost impossible to bend.

Your playing has piqued my curiosity I gotta search your posts.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ladewd » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:00 pm

ok ok, after reading this thread, I just bought the Smashup. I need an aggresive compressor for vox and bass. Hey for $39 WTF!

CA

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:10 pm

I love my bitrman because it does weird stuff that doesnt really exist in an analog equivalent.

That pedal will compliment any weird sound collectors already great choices in the analog world.

The compression on the bitrman, along with a little "decimator" is a KILLING combo for drums.

One shitty mic under the snare, next to the kick leg through that pedal can sound like a war.

Awesome.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:46 pm

nah, i'm just using 10-46s on a les paul. when playing through the "faze" it tracks kind of like an envelope filter so you can't get too wild or fluid on bending or you'll lose the tracking, at least on some of the settings.

here's a more fluid clip, all analog thru an echoplex:

http://www.demoyourtrax.com/~purpletele ... 40417a.mp3

http://www.demoyourtrax.com/~purpletele ... 40420a.mp3

and here are some older one: www.tedm.com/mp3s

I have a couple CD's out, and should be on cdbaby.com soon, am working on a DVD-A project as well.
Catoogie wrote:Damn Ampguy are those extra heavy jazz strings ya got on the guitar on that track? Sounds almost impossible to bend.

Your playing has piqued my curiosity I gotta search your posts.

MAR
audio school graduate

Post by MAR » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:11 am

here's a more fluid clip, all analog thru an echoplex
Ya know I gotta say that 'fluid' is not exactly what comes to mind when I hear your guitar playing.

How long have you been playing the guitar? Because WOW your right and left hands are almost completely out of synch with each other. Your vibrato and string bending (well it's nearly impossible to call what you do string bending. What you're doing is micro-tonal bending it and that can be cool in an avant-garde kinda way but I can tell that's not what you're going for. Ya gotta be able to play in tune) techniques are really amatuerish. If you're a beginner I apologize but if you're not man you really need to start shedding and put off those grand plans for CD's and DVD's etc...

I mean, I know it's not all about technique. but it is all about tone, soul and groove. All of the things the recordings you posted are devoid of. For someone who refers to himself as ampguy and talks about echoplexes and tweed Fenders you're REALLY not good. I know I'm coming off mean and insensitive but if anyone here or elsewhere tells you your playing is happening they are lying. If you're just starting out or have some sort of physical or mental handicap then I apologize. But if those descriptions don't apply to you then you need to get to work or get reallistic about what you really sound like.

Good luck

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:26 am

ouch...

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:34 am

wow MAR, what a nice first post.

although i suppose you could have registered a unique name just for that comment.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:53 am

what does it matter if i'm a beginner or not? my music speaks for itself. it is what it is. if you have specific feedback on how i can improve it, that would be great.

my musical goals are not to be up there in guitar players list of fastest guitarists like satriani, vai, etc.

i'm sorry my playing doesn't have any tone, soul, or groove for you. it does for me, and that is what matters. why don't you post a clip of what you consider good guitar playing?
MAR wrote:
here's a more fluid clip, all analog thru an echoplex
Ya know I gotta say that 'fluid' is not exactly what comes to mind when I hear your guitar playing.

How long have you been playing the guitar? Because WOW your right and left hands are almost completely out of synch with each other. Your vibrato and string bending (well it's nearly impossible to call what you do string bending. What you're doing is micro-tonal bending it and that can be cool in an avant-garde kinda way but I can tell that's not what you're going for. Ya gotta be able to play in tune) techniques are really amatuerish. If you're a beginner I apologize but if you're not man you really need to start shedding and put off those grand plans for CD's and DVD's etc...

I mean, I know it's not all about technique. but it is all about tone, soul and groove. All of the things the recordings you posted are devoid of. For someone who refers to himself as ampguy and talks about echoplexes and tweed Fenders you're REALLY not good. I know I'm coming off mean and insensitive but if anyone here or elsewhere tells you your playing is happening they are lying. If you're just starting out or have some sort of physical or mental handicap then I apologize. But if those descriptions don't apply to you then you need to get to work or get reallistic about what you really sound like.

Good luck

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:03 am

That "MAR" thing above is laughable. . .

Back OT, I survived that last thread but just broke down on this one--bitrman and smashup on the way. Will report. . .