Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Alessis MoFx- still raving about em?

Post by ladewd » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:20 am

I know I'm coming off mean and insensitive but if anyone here or elsewhere tells you your playing is happening they are lying. If you're just starting out or have some sort of physical or mental handicap then I apologize. But if those descriptions don't apply to you then you need to get to work or get reallistic about what you really sound like.

Good luck
Musicians, egos, Geez!

CA

wadesey
audio school graduate

Post by wadesey » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:37 am

So you guys are putting the Bitrman between the guitar and amp in a live situation, not just recording? When I use mine in that way(Telecaster>HotRod Deville or Super Reverb) the computer-ish hash is really bad even when bypassed. The bypass still passes the signal through the ADC/DAC so that would explain that, but I wonder if mine has a problem. Works awesome(no uninteded hash) with synth/sampler and as send effect though.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:05 pm

i've seen the bitrman do all kinds of neat tricks. guitar, but also computer output. the best ever was the live show my friend did, and when he booted up his mac, it did the mac "ahhh!" noise through the bitrman all freaked out.

try it out.

i think i'm gonna order the smashup and the bitrman... yikes.
that devil bastard protools

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:19 pm

Yes, all these effects work fine and quietly with my stock les paul at instrument level. Be sure to tweak the trim knob in back, strum as loud as you can and crank the knob up until it is red, then back it off so it only peaks at red, or even a tad cranked back so it just doesn't get red.

The trim knob needs to be set differently for different settings (on the same box) also.

I'll try my tele later today, as it has much lower gain than the stock 490/498 les paul pickups, and being single coil, has a lot more inherent noise. Will also try one of my les pauls with P90s if I get time.
wadesey wrote:So you guys are putting the Bitrman between the guitar and amp in a live situation, not just recording? When I use mine in that way(Telecaster>HotRod Deville or Super Reverb) the computer-ish hash is really bad even when bypassed. The bypass still passes the signal through the ADC/DAC so that would explain that, but I wonder if mine has a problem. Works awesome(no uninteded hash) with synth/sampler and as send effect though.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Bitrman blues with tele

Post by ampguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:28 pm

I just recorded with my tele thru bitrman to fender amp, mic'd w/ sm57, drum box went through the smashup

Didn't notice much extra noise from the Bitrman, but my tele, by itself is quite a bit noisier than my les paul.

http://www.demoyourtrax.com/~purpletele ... 40425a.mp3
wadesey wrote:So you guys are putting the Bitrman between the guitar and amp in a live situation, not just recording? When I use mine in that way(Telecaster>HotRod Deville or Super Reverb) the computer-ish hash is really bad even when bypassed. The bypass still passes the signal through the ADC/DAC so that would explain that, but I wonder if mine has a problem. Works awesome(no uninteded hash) with synth/sampler and as send effect though.

MAR
audio school graduate

Post by MAR » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:04 pm

what does it matter if i'm a beginner or not?
Because I could cut you some slack if I thought you were just starting out. Your playing sounds as if you've been playing a few months at best.
my music speaks for itself.
Oh it sure does, loud and clear.
if you have specific feedback on how i can improve it, that would be great.
Sit in your room and work on your techinque (string bending, left hand vibrato, right hand picking, melodic improvisation, meter etc...). Where do I begin? I mean you are in the basement when it comes to being able to really play the guitar. Literally, the basement. I mean if someone asks you if you play the guitar you should say no, because you can't.
my musical goals are not to be up there in guitar players list of fastest guitarists like satriani, vai, etc.
Good. I don't know what your musical goals are but as a guitar player you're right, you are not even in that league. But you're not even in the ballpark of the guys I like: Angus & Malcolm Young, Reggie Young (Muscle Shoals), Steve Cropper, Cornell Dupree, David Lindley, Billy Gibbons, Leslie West, George Harrison, Danny Kortchmar, Greg Brown (Cake), James Honeyman-Scott, Elliott Easton, Jesse Ed Davis, Rick DiFonzo, Joe Walsh, Don Felder, Peter Frampton, Neil Geraldo, Neil Young, Steve Hunter, Jimmy Johnson (Muscle Shoals), Mick Ralphs, Don Rich, Nile Rodgers, Kerr Livgren, Don Williams, Pete Townshend, Robbie McIntosh, Buddy Miller, etc. How's that for a list of players you aren't even remotely like? You are nowhere even close.
why don't you post a clip of what you consider good guitar playing?
See any of the above for what I call great guitar playing. To be more specific, how about the slide melody to "My Sweet Lord" or any of the guitar on "Kid" by The Pretenders?

I realize the truth hurts and sometimes the people who tell the truth are vilified but c'mon, we both know I speak the truth. Right? I know you can't accpet it now but I'm really trying to help you. If the players who worked with me early on had shined me on instead of breaking my balls I would still be playing like you. Actually that is not true because I had natural talent from jump street unlike you. Yeah I had to work on it and develop my talent but I always had a strong right hand (the real players know the right hand is where it's at) and natural, vocal left hand vibrato.

Again, good luck bro. Put those CD and DVD plans on hold until you are truly ready.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:19 pm

wow.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:26 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:wow.
Indeed.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:52 pm

Here is some playing today with reverb to the bitrman to a cranked fender deluxe into sm57

http://www.demoyourtrax.com/~purpletele ... 40425b.mp3

and here is a pure analog recording (echoplex, but no bitrman):

http://www.demoyourtrax.com/~purpletele ... 40425c.mp3

they are long pieces, so I reduced my VBR mp3 settings down to 112kbps min from the usual 128kbps, still the average rate is around 160kbps.

With comments like those from MAR, I certainly don't want to lose a bit of sound quality in the .wav to .mp3 conversion...

MAR, fyi, 2 of my CD's are COMPLETED, comprende? My DVD-A project will not go on hold because you don't like my music. If you don't like my music, don't listen to it, don't buy it, and go bash it on another thread so I can avoid it, thanks!!

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:57 pm

sheesh. Mar should go listen to my clips in off-topic, the covers. what would he think of my chicago cover......?
that devil bastard protools

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:04 am

Ok, I slipped and ordered the Bitrman today. I'll be mangling rap vocals with it, hell yeah! And after that, I'll be mangling pure sine waves.

A friend was mixing a punk tune while I was in the studio and he showed me what the Bitrman could do to guitars. Nice!

Like another poster, I wish Alesis had released the Fidelity-X unit. The press release gave it almost as much appeal as the Bitrman.

lilcapn
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lilcapn » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:00 pm

MAR has to be posting as a joke, can not be serious.

is hilarious however.

i love when he talks about how he "had natural talent from jump street unlike you." and his "natural, vocal left hand vibrato."

ick.

yes, i'm assuming MAR is a "he" -- i wonder why.

anyway, all the other posts besides MAR's have convinced me to get a bitrman...

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:23 pm

Hey, know what I noticed? When you put MAR's guitar playing through the Bitrman's compressor, distortion, and bit reducer, it sounds fucking awesome, just like ampguy's.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:42 pm

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:48 pm

haha, looks like he bought them just when I did, just after the Metavox sold out. I have the same 6! The bitrman, faze and maybe phlngr are keepers for the guitar, and the smashup is a keeper for general studio toy.

jury's still out with the philtre and amplitron for me. I've only spent about 10 minutes with those 2.

mjau wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Here ya go...6 of em on ebay.