bands that make you want to vomit...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
pk
buyin' gear

bands that make you want to vomit...

Post by pk » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:43 am

I had Leno on last night in the background when he starts introducing this band called "The Calling". I glanced over to the tv set, thinking it might be interesting.
How wrong I was. I started to develop an ulcer when the first chorus kicked in.
I sat there amazed, that crap like this gets signed. Think Creed-like music with a skinny blond, boy-band type singer. It was bloody awful.

I can't think of the last time I heard such insipid lyrics. I didn't know if busting out laughing or feeling sorry for them (and anyone who actually listens to them) i smore appropriate.

Ever had these sentiments when seeing a band live or perform on tv?

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Re: bands that make you want to vomit...

Post by thecongostudio » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:52 am

that Hoobastank band...they opened for 311 (a show I was dragged to by my g/f, but I kinda like 311 so no problem.) my god, it was so bad, I got up and left for their set because I could feel the tumor slowly growing in my brain. all in all, it was an interesting time...

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:06 am

It seems an band on Leno always makes me go, "wait a second is this a joke?" sadly its not, well it is but you know what I mean.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:11 am

Well you did mention Creed...

But I'll puke for most nu-metal.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

justinf
re-cappin' neve

Post by justinf » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:14 am

made me think of that double Nickleback gag that was posted a while back. . .jeez

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:16 am

Yeah, i've heard the calling, they got a lot of hype afew months ago, but yes, i thought they were shit too. Are they british? I have a feeling they are. I'm quite possibly wrong though.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Ajpulzetti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ajpulzetti » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:16 am

Coheed and Cambria are starting to make me want to vomit, if only just a little bit. Though, I feel this is a case of a band with a lot of talent that chooses to waste it on trying to be the world's largest sci-fi nerds. The complete slapstick humor of their videos and Claudio's ridiculous hair give me a slight tickle in my gag reflex.

And yeah, though I'll listen to the verses of the new hoobastank song because I like the guitar part played on the upbeats, the first time I heard it I thought it was the worst top-forty crap I had heard in a long time, and IMO, aside from that one guitar part, it is.

Avril Lavigne leaves me wanting to stick my head in a toilet bowl and leave it there for a while, if for no other relief than to have the noise drowned out by the porcelain.

By the way, while we're on the topic of Gag-worthy bands, RIP creed. By that I mean, stay dead and never come back to haunt us again.
May you live a hundered years and may the last voice that you hear be mine.
- Frank Sinatra

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:35 am

I have always been especially revolted by 1) Sugar Ray and 2) anything involving Weiland of STP. Current least favs are any pop-punk band and The Darkness. Oh, and to make a huge generaliztion anything that could be termed "emo" usually makes me retch.

Josephratf
pluggin' in mics

Post by Josephratf » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:38 am

The only thing i ever broke that had anything to do with music was a 311 cd.
from 718 to 610 in 1130fps.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:42 am

Ajpulzetti wrote:Coheed and Cambria are starting to make me want to vomit, if only just a little bit. Though, I feel this is a case of a band with a lot of talent that chooses to waste it on trying to be the world's largest sci-fi nerds. The complete slapstick humor of their videos and Claudio's ridiculous hair give me a slight tickle in my gag reflex.
2x. I don't see what the hype is all about. The vocals are way too Geddy Lee-esque for me to like them.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:46 am

pk wrote:I had Leno on last night in the background when he starts introducing this band called "The Calling". I glanced over to the tv set, thinking it might be interesting.
How wrong I was. I started to develop an ulcer when the first chorus kicked in.
I sat there amazed, that crap like this gets signed. Think Creed-like music with a skinny blond, boy-band type singer. It was bloody awful.

I can't think of the last time I heard such insipid lyrics. I didn't know if busting out laughing or feeling sorry for them (and anyone who actually listens to them) i smore appropriate.

Ever had these sentiments when seeing a band live or perform on tv?
I don't know if you read my post in the PJ thread in OT, but I wrote:
...i switched over to crappy leno and the F*ckin' Calling was on. One of the guitar players was also playing an orange (like the PJ guy), but sounded terrible. And that SINGER, makes me ill - I mean he is a joke right - getting all up into the camera, looking all serious and half jumping around saying some crap like "these are the times of our lives". Fuck, fuck, fuck. Long live PJ.

i really DID feel like I might puke, i mean seriously. and i have heard some bad music in my time - this really was one of the worst displays of music i had ever seen, jesus christ
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

Ajpulzetti
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Ajpulzetti » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:48 am

I sure do love both Geddy Lee, and Rush... Unfortunately, we only need one of each. Sorry Claudio and co. Coheed and Cambria does have this really great groove that they get into once in a while where melodies are really catchy and the arrangement just makes you want to dance... but most of the time, no.

Rush : 1

Coheed : 0
May you live a hundered years and may the last voice that you hear be mine.
- Frank Sinatra

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:49 am

nate wrote:
Ajpulzetti wrote:Coheed and Cambria are starting to make me want to vomit, if only just a little bit. Though, I feel this is a case of a band with a lot of talent that chooses to waste it on trying to be the world's largest sci-fi nerds. The complete slapstick humor of their videos and Claudio's ridiculous hair give me a slight tickle in my gag reflex.
2x. I don't see what the hype is all about. The vocals are way too Geddy Lee-esque for me to like them.
God, how I hate that band. How can anyone take that guy's voice? It's actually more ridiculous that Geddy Lee's voice. The first time I heard them I thought FOR SURE that was a woman. They do a couple of ok things with their arrangements, but that fucking VOICE. GAAAH.

You know who else I hate? New Found Glory. That super nasal, auto-tuned-to-hell voice, combined with the world's most generic pop-rock backing just makes me want to claw my own cochleas out and spray oven cleaner into the holes. :x

|<|>|

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:01 pm

simple plan are the baby faced spawn of satan

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:09 pm

I hear ya on the nu-metal...but lately, I've been wanting to puke everytime I hear an emo band with two singers. As if one singer couldn't whine enough, now you've got a guy who is gonna scream while the other one whines. Five years ago...sure, it was novel to me. Now it's formulaic, and boring, and what's worse, fucking annoying.