anyone notice the new change to allmusicguide?

which way do you like best?

the way AMG had it-- bio without frames and easier to read, less scrolling
60%
the way AMG has it now-- bio in nice little frames that require a lot more scrolling because less text can be visible on the screen
No votes
i'm a jerk.. what's AMG?
40%

Total votes: 5

wing
on a wing and a prayer

anyone notice the new change to allmusicguide?

Post by wing » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:14 pm

i just noticed that as of today on AMG all the bios to all the bands are in frames of some sort, like iframes i suppose. no more "click for more" to expand. i kind of liked it that way though... i don't like reading and scrolling in a little tiny frame window. but oh well...

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Re: anyone notice the new change to allmusicguide?

Post by tateeskew » Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:16 am

i kind of like the new layout. honestly though, i don't think it's that big of a change. i'm guessing that they have people that pay them to syndicate their bio's and whatnot and it is probably easier on the syndicators to grab the bio if it's all on one page. who knows?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:28 pm

yea, i don't care that much, it's still the good service it always has been. but i guess just from an end user standpoint of readability and whatnot, it was fine the way it was. but i can't complain, the site is still pretty useful.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:43 pm

I kinda' liked the old style. Didn't have to read the bio unless you wanted to.

-mark

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:02 pm

formzero wrote:it is probably easier on the syndicators to grab the bio if it's all on one page. who knows?
Well they provide a separate feed (for $$) for that info - they probably aren't fond of people just screen scraping their content off the website.

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:27 pm

I liked it before they way they had it before, when pages had absolute links instead of the javascript interlinkage they use now.

Using the Opera browser, you used to be able to pop up all the individual pages for discs within an artist's discography and bounce between them, or do the same for related bands, etc.

Now, you're stuck to lone-window linear browsing (<sarcasm>"Multi-task... on a computer? We can't allow that!"</sarcasm>), and the Iframe or whatever alternate scrollbox trick they're now using doesn't work properly in Opera, so bios are unreadable beyond the introductory few lines.

Shame... I used to heavily rely on All Music Guide's site. Not so much anymore - now it's a big frustration for me.