48K -> 96K What to do....

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
ECBRules
audio school

48K -> 96K What to do....

Post by ECBRules » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:09 am

I have a ProTools HD Accel 3 System, and have been using it at 48k and 24 bits but I want to switch to 96K. Question is how to do some things... Heres the gear:

Digidesign 192 i/o, and a 96i

obseleted digital gear with the switch:

Tascam DA 45 HR
HHB Burn it

I want to use this equipment for making work cd's and demo's that arent going to be mastered. I think the ad's in the tascam are better than the HHB, so i was thinking about running an analog out of the 192 into the analog in of the dat and then sp/dif from that to the HHB:

to make cd's (NOT using bounce to disk)
192 da -> DA45HR ad -> spdif -> HHB burn it

The question i really have about this setup is what do I need to think about in terms of dithering? Since I am going to analog with the 192, I guess this mean I don't need to dither? I have been using the waves L2. I wonder if I will get some warming effect going to analog and back in again...
I havent really tried anything yet, any help is arpeggiatated.

Thanks,
Keny
:jazzman:

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Re: 48K -> 96K What to do....

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:25 am

If the cd's you're burning are just for demos and working rough mixes, why not just make them on your computer? I don't see the need to go to an external burner when you can just make them without leaving the box.

shawn

ECBRules
audio school

Post by ECBRules » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:33 am

I hear you shawn but thats really not the answer I was looking for. i don't like Bounce to disk, and I like to charge for cd's and the burner just makes things look more professional, so I'd like to keep using it, or at least till I get my $$ worth out of it... Any body else wanna take a whack at it?

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:19 am

just go analog and no need to worry about dithering, but I'm with Shawn...though you don't want to hear it the best way is to bounce to disk because so you can control the conversion quality and dither, I know its painful to buy stuff then not use it...but there is always ebay!!

ECBRules
audio school

Post by ECBRules » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:54 pm

yeah i hear you, my problem with bounce to disk is that I like the way my outboard stuff sounds better. seems like something gets lost in bounce to disk... like the whole doohickey gets a little grainy.

Keny

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:00 pm

I agree that bounce to disk sucks ass. The stereo image collapses and the lows get all weird. But you said this was for rough mixes. I bounce to disk for rough mixes all the time. I'm all for giving clients the best sounding mix when they walk out of my studio but I also don't waste a lot of time on rough mixes. My clients know that the final mix will sound much much better. They just want something to listen to in the meantime.

If you still aren't into that, then just run the mixes out analog into your stand-alone burner, nuff said.

shawn