How many other studios have you been in?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
deadair
steve albini likes it

How many other studios have you been in?

Post by deadair » Fri May 09, 2003 11:32 am

I was just realizing the other day when i went to get a record mastered and poked my head into that studios tracking room that i've only been in 4 or 5 other studios besides my own, and that a couple of those times were before i got as crazy about this shit as i am now..... meanwhile, i found just a quick peak at how they had drums and amps mic'ed to be very interesting and realized i wish i could poke my head in more studios to see how they work. on the other hand i think it's kind of interesting that this way i'm learning more for myself what i like and what works for me, rather than for someone else, but its always cool to be given a few new ideas.

bert
gettin' sounds

Re: How many other studios have you been in?

Post by bert » Fri May 09, 2003 11:43 am

i've assisted in or recorded in about 12 different studios from El Paso TX, to San Francisco.
It's always super interesting to see how they do stuff(micing techniques especially).
I don't like to be that guy who's asking a bunch of annoying questions so I just watch and listen.

cbcmusic
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cbcmusic » Fri May 09, 2003 11:43 am

Yeah, I've had the opportunity to check out a few different studios and I always check out how they are mic'ing things. I've grabbed a few ideas here and there, but mostly I combine what I've learned here and from other folks as well as things I've seen in studios or in magazine articles. I've been in at least 6 studios with two of them being home studios other than my own.

It is interesting to see how others work, and what equipment they have and how their rooms are and all that. But like you, I've done most of my learning on my own with a gratuitous amount of knowledge from these forums.
cbc

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri May 09, 2003 12:51 pm

Ive always fond the stuff that Ive found growing in the refridgerators in studios to be the most interesting thing when checking out different places...

dave

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Fri May 09, 2003 12:58 pm

soundguy wrote:Ive always fond the stuff that Ive found growing in the refridgerators in studios to be the most interesting thing when checking out different places...

dave
stale Fat Cat beer= :kotzen:

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Fri May 09, 2003 2:57 pm

it's funny because it'd be interesting to go a long with a friends band when they record somewhere else, but hell, that'd mean they weren't recording with me, so i don't really want to see that happen on the other hand.....

d franko
pluggin' in mics

Post by d franko » Fri May 09, 2003 3:14 pm

deadair wrote:it's funny because it'd be interesting to go a long with a friends band when they record somewhere else, but hell, that'd mean they weren't recording with me, so i don't really want to see that happen on the other hand.....
True. Unless it's like a really sweet place.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Sun May 11, 2003 5:19 pm

I'm probably forgetting some, but it's somewhere around 32. I've engineered in 22. Lots of different gear and monitoring situations. It's important to visit other rooms to get a grip on sonic anomalies and comfort factors. As an engineer, you'll always seek your core set of equipment, but be inclined to ask, "What the hell does THAT mic sound like? I've never seen it before?" and plug it in! New studios should allow for some experimentation, but you should do so in moderation, because somebody hired you for what you do. Every control room sounds different too and if you're used to Tannoy Red's and the next place has a set of Urei mains, your sound may or may not change. Be prepared! A nice finely tuned set of Augsburger Mains is always the preferred route! A mix engineer we all know once asked me if I thought he had a 'sound'? He did, but much of it came from the types of records he gravitated toward making. He's now one of the top 5 roots/rock mix guys. Developing a sound is key to creating demand and reproducing it consistently is what it means to have a career as an engineer.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun May 11, 2003 9:15 pm

I've worked in about 7-10 different studios, from the WaveLab in Tucson to Studio Mariposa in Seattle.

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Tue May 13, 2003 1:55 pm

Other than my own studio I've freelanced in at least 10 different studios, some huge and some not so huge. I'll sit in on a session with their Chief Engineer before coming in with my group to see how they set things up (especially drums). The best thing is when I find a different 'sweet' spot for the drums and the studio utilizes that spot after I'm gone.

-- Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Tue May 13, 2003 3:56 pm

I dig watching 'real' engineers at work. It's a great way to learn new tricks.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 14, 2003 7:20 pm

Since I last posted here, I've thought of another 9. 5 of which are mastering studios in Los Angeles.