does anyone else dream of being interviewed for tapeop

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

does anyone else dream of being interviewed for tapeop

Post by dungeonsound615 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:19 pm

I try my hardest to get as much work as I can its not as much as i would like but im trying, maybe not as hard as i need to be but i cant jsut magically make clients appear. Anyhow i read tapeop and always think how cool it would be to someday open it only to read an interview someone did about myself. Maybe im nuts I went to school for recording, interned and everything and am now recording out of my house with a half decent setupand everything any advice for making my dream/dreams come true besides dont give up. Sometimes i just feel like im making recordings really having no clue how i got to the finished product. or what makes me setup a compressor a certain way. I read tapeop and it seems everyone in there knows exacetly what there doing, and i have some idea and for the rest i just turn knobs till it sounds good. sorry to go on so im going to stop

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Re: does anyone else dream of being interviewed for tapeop

Post by Mr PC » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:35 pm

I greatly fear being interviewed by Tape-Op and therefore being exposed as the recording novice/dumbass that I am. I would feel like I got caught in Times Square in my underwear.

PC

:)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:30 pm

LOL.
beware bee wear

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:24 pm

If I was interviewed, I know what people would say...

'Worse Issue Ever..."...

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:04 am

Good to see such a high level of self esteem on this board! :o
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:17 am

I think TO should do a section every issue on the little home studios of "nobodies" ..could be a lot of value in that..

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:20 am

Studio makeovers!

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:39 am

I think I'd be a good tapeop interview, I basically live the life. I'm no "pro" by any means, and I don't own a ton of gear or have a commercial studio, but I play in 3 bands and we all practice and record here with my Digi001 and I have four tracked for the last 20 years or so, and I think I've gotten pretty good at it. (follow my link and decide for yourself) Someday I'll be in there...

I'm often finding things in TapeOp that either apply to me directly or are about something I'm already aware of. Like when our guitarist was looking for an upgrade last year, I steered him towards a Heritage, which is a great guitar. Then there was the article this month about studio guitars that recommends the Heritage. I was disappointed that they didn't mention the Casio MT-600, which is my favorite cheap keyboard, but I'm considering an MT-68 now.

Not saying I'm some sort of guru, that sort of thing only happens occasionally. I'm just a struggling musician/recordist, and I feel I embody many of the qualities of the typical tapeop interviewee. Maybe that's why I love the magazine so much.
Last edited by Shabbadoo on Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:41 am

Mr PC wrote:I greatly fear being interviewed by Tape-Op and therefore being exposed as the recording novice/dumbass that I am. I would feel like I got caught in Times Square in my underwear.

PC

:)
http://nakedcowboy.com/
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:44 am

but, he's got underwear on....

I guess "Cowboy in Underwear" isn't as catchy as "Naked Cowboy", but it isn't exactly truth in advertizing.
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:16 am

Scodiddly wrote:Studio makeovers!
OMFG - "Extreme Studio Makeover" - it happens live. Larry comes over and Hillary's there directing a live web cam broadcast of this (cuz noone on network tv would care). There's a touching little vignette about random tapeopper's achilles heel (I keep trying, but this DAMN BEHRINGER mixer keeps bringing my recordings down). Albini takes random tapeopper to a baseball game and breaks down his philosphies and techniques as they related to pitching. Then you're handed over to Steve Sadler for an intensive tape machine workshop while they install an MCI console and JH24 in your house. From there you jet out to chill with Jon Brion on the new Fiona Apple session. The big reveal comes and you fall to your knees crying in joy at your new setup. Everything is beautful.

6 months later your records still suck and noone cares cuz they've moved to another tapeopper.

Oh, i kid.... I KID!!!!

:P :shock: :o :lol: :cry: :arrow: :?: :idea: :evil: :twisted:

(man you can get carried away with those smiley things!)

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:33 am

xonlocust wrote:
OMFG - "Extreme Studio Makeover" - it happens live. Larry comes over and Hillary's there directing a live web cam broadcast of this (cuz noone on network tv would care). There's a touching little vignette about random tapeopper's achilles heel (I keep trying, but this DAMN BEHRINGER mixer keeps bringing my recordings down). Albini takes random tapeopper to a baseball game and breaks down his philosphies and techniques as they related to pitching. Then you're handed over to Steve Sadler for an intensive tape machine workshop while they install an MCI console and JH24 in your house. From there you jet out to chill with Jon Brion on the new Fiona Apple session. The big reveal comes and you fall to your knees crying in joy at your new setup. Everything is beautful.
that sounds pretty extreme - as in extremely expensive! It only works on TV because of the big ad money involved. It sure would be nice though.
Maybe they could give a more modest setup, say a Ghost and a G4 with a Digi 002 and say, an RNP, an RNC, and maybe one a them Blue/Focusrite bundles. Or a complete Tascam setup. That way they could get the companies to donate the gear. Hey, who knows, it could play on one of those hundreds of cable channels. Actually, I bet MTV2 would show it!

Pimp my Studio!
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:39 am

Sound On Sound magazine had (has?) a monthly article where they go to some shmo's home studio and work over his particular problems on the cheap. Talk about "get your guitar amp off the floor" and "hang some curtains over here" and "man, your moniters are totally fooling you". Great stuff.

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:56 am

no,
i really think that xonlocust was on the right track. you really cant lose if you get to go to a baseball game with steve albini.haha.

mcijh
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcijh » Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:15 pm

I was interviewed for tape-op once, but my responses were'n't good enough to be published. It seems that It was a tandum interview, and since the other person had migrane's at the time, my answeres were meaningless. If anyone has access to the secrete tapeop archives, and can invoke the freedom of info act on them, .......you probably wouldn't publish them either.

SS