Fresh off the presses! Just wrote it yesterday.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Fresh off the presses! Just wrote it yesterday.

Post by dynomike » Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:04 pm

hey people,

I did a rush job on this song which I wrote Friday morning, and just finished this afternoon. I think it sounds pretty good. I'm contemplating adding bass, but I'd rather not, because I'm using the piano mainly as a bass function throughout the song. I wish all my songs got done this fast... :)

First time I've actually used my horrible upright piano in a mix.. I had to tune my guitars to -12 cents on my chromatic tuner for whatever note to keep them in tune with the piano. No autotune or effects on the vocals (or anything) either, just waves RCL and REQ of course. And 2 aux reverbs.

Check it out! I'm uploading it now, it'll be up in about 20 mins. oh, and also tell me what you think.

Mike

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~sdkuehn/Mi ... aster).mp3

Sorry for the horrible link, I can't seem to the the url functions on this thing to work.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Sorry!

Post by dynomike » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:08 am

I found out my link didn't work.. at all.. so I renamed the file, for some reason it now works. Here it is, and sorry about the bad link before.

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~sdkuehn/honestone.mp3

Mike

zoetrope
pushin' record

Re: Fresh off the presses! Just wrote it yesterday.

Post by zoetrope » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:06 am

Nice song, but the mix was too quiet. Crank it up. :D

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:49 am

Your right zoe... I remixed it just today, but I am going to add bass guitar in some parts because its sounding a little weak on the bass end. I'll post that tommorow probably. I have to borrow a bass first, I still don't have any money to fix the nut on my 5-string.

mike

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:50 pm

Great song! Please give some details on how it was done.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:02 pm

thanks dub..

Since I play everything meself, I tracked the drums first in one take (after doing a rough arrangement on a piece of paper) using stereo overheads (spaced pair of cheap LDCs), an sm57 on my rack toms, which weren't coming out loud enough, and a shure sm91 3 inches off the front kick head. not a lot of eq on drums.

next, i did the acoustic guitar, also the first take... same cheap ldc (an apex 420, which I actually like for acoustic) about a foot away pointed at the 12th fret.

then piano, pair of ldcs on the soundboard of the upright, and some insane eq-ing from the waves req 4 band. just a lot of high boost, and 500 hz cut.

e. guitar, sm57 pointed at the voice coil at the centre, on the grill. no eq.

vox, ldc as usual with pop filter. i wrote the music on friday, and the lyrics saturday morning. I'm gonna add some bass guitar just to fill it out in some sections, and I'll post that when its done.

Once again, I wish all my recordings went this fast and well :)

mike

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:28 pm

Here ya go Zoetrope...

A nice loud mix of "Honest One"
http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~sdkuehn/honestone1.mp3

I went through and changed the eq and levels on most of the tracks, and now there's bass too! It goes a lot better with the rest of my songs now.

Do you guys think 3 songs is enough for a release? I know for demo cds you aren't supposed to have more than 3 songs, generally. I've got other songs on the go, but I'm not really that close to completing them. So, in your opinions, should I wait until I can finish 5-6 songs or just stick with the 3 song release for now? These are the first tracks I'd actually feel comfortable releasing after 2 years of recording so thats why I want to get something "out there". Also, your comments on the new mix would be appreciated. Thanks for the support

mike

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:25 pm

personally i would go with all grow, autumn, and honest one. i definitely like the new mix better. its nice and pretty, but dangerous, you know like an iced coffe....mmmm...coffee.
by the by, i have to know when i can buy this stuff from you. it's awesome.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:24 am

i don't know about that kick. it's wierd. sounds like your thumbing the mic for the kick.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

adeadcat
audio school graduate

Post by adeadcat » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:11 am

thats really fucking good. the best thing about it is that it doesn't sound like it was made by one guy. well, thats not the best thing about it, but its really rare that something made by one guy doesn't sound obviously like it was recorded by one guy.

as far as releasing your music goes, i think you should wait until you have an album's worth of music recorded, only because 12 songs that are all as good as this one would make a really good fucking album (and really great albums are so rare these days). if you want to get your stuff out there though, it certainly deserves recognition.
james graf, professional amateur

a dead cat is priceless

gone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gone » Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:40 pm

Last edited by gone on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:16 pm

Great stuff, Mike - I really like it. The piano adds such a great element to the choruses.

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:52 pm

yeah very nice, I like your voice, its refreshing.

the recording sounds very nice!

reminds me of brighteyes and the like inwhich I luv.

keep up the good work!
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:21 pm

I just want to add some praise for this. I'm diggin' it, and it's good to hear a solo piece really shine through. High five.
I am wangtacular.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:49 am

I like it, too, man. Very angular. The recording sounds raw, but not unpolished -- if that makes any sense. Good stuff. For some reason it's making me think of Archers of Loaf, which is a compliment, but not necessarily an accurate comparison.

Rock and roll.

Joe