Acoustical Fabric

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Acoustical Fabric

Post by musikman316 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:22 pm

Okay, this isn't exactly about recording, but I didn't know where to post. My brother has asked me to help him do some acoustics in his home theater, we're going to use wall panels, bass traps and RPG diffusors... my question is... can I use a different fabric on the panels and bass traps? He wants an art deco 20s look and we've found some fabric. It's pretty thin and what not but I don't know what kind of effect this will have on the panels themselves.

Any ideas would be great.

thanks,
musik

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Acoustical Fabric

Post by Professor » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:46 pm

I think that what will count the most is what is behind the panels more than the cloth itself. Obviously there would be some differences between various types of cloth, and a thick chrushed velvet might absorb more than a thin muslin, and a tough vinyl might reflect some frequencies rather than absorbing - but those are three pretty extreme differences. The depth and density of the stuff behind the cloth will have the biggest effect so if that is somewhat consistent, let your brother choose the fabrics he likes best.

-Jeremy

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:31 am

yeah, the cloth shouldn't make a ton of difference. Throw some over a speaker and see if it changes the sound much.

musikman316
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by musikman316 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:41 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll check the fabric over a speaker... a relatively simple idea, and sometimes it's the simplest things that we overlook.

later,
musik

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:35 am

the only possible worry with the cloth is that it would reflect sound, and therefore defeat the purpose of the panels. but it would only reflect high freqs anyway, and you are probbably more concerned with low and mid freqs. anyhow, you can tell if it's "acoustically transparent" by blosing through it. if it offers no resistance, it's transparent, which is good for your purpose. if you can't blow thorugh it, then it will reflect some frequencies. which, again, might not be a problem for you.