unpadded closet

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
NaturalAsDessert
audio school graduate

unpadded closet

Post by NaturalAsDessert » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Hello - this is my first post as a registered tape-op user. I am very new to home recording and only have 3 pieces of equipment thus far: 2 mics which are MXL 990 and 991 (a combo deal) and an M-Audio MobilePre USB interface (and working on getting some better software than my current Cakewalk Music Creator).

So I'm currently taking all the tracks in my attic/converted to music room, which is a medium sized room, carpeted, and results are moderate, nothing to cream over, but better than results I got with generic equipment.

I have thought about running an extension downstairs and doing takes in one of the bedrooms' walk-in closets. These closets are not padded or fixed up for recording in any way, but are carpeted.

I imagine that my tracking quality will improve slightly, but am looking for suggestions on how to make the most of my situation on a low budget. What can I use to "pad" the room or make it more of a recording friendly space?

Thanx in advance ...
you are i am they are live

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Re: unpadded closet

Post by jajjguy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:44 pm

rule of thumb: smaller room = more problems

so why do people use tiny vocal booths for overdubs? mainly for isolation (from the band, passing trucks, etc). also, if you put thick sound absorption all around it, it'll sound pretty dead, which can be good, and it's easier than completely deadening a large room.

if you're not going to treat either room, you're better off in the big room, all things being equal. a big horrible sounding room is way better than a small horrible sounding room.

if you're interested in treating the room with absorption, check around this site first, lots of good info.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:02 pm

NAD,

What are you tracking? Vocals, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, etc.?

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:47 pm

What can I use to "pad" the room or make it more of a recording friendly space?
Deadening a space is not necessarily more recording-friendly. Gathering your sounds as dry as physically possible in a "dead room" and then adding artificial reverb is not my idea of natural and friendly-sounding recording. This is opinion, of course. A revelation for me when I was doing a track or two at a time overdub recording was learning to use in a nice-sounding room with good natural reverb with one mic up close to the source and one back far in the room for reverb to mix in later. Compressing the reverb track is also great. Have fun.

NaturalAsDessert
audio school graduate

Post by NaturalAsDessert » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:39 am

Thanx for the opinions people! I am tracking just about everything except drums. I'm doing several vocal parts/song, usually an electric and acoustic guitar, bass, and sometimes keyboard, but I'm currently running keyboard direct. Drums are through drum machine software.

For the quality of my equipment, I think you are right, jajjguy. It probably wouldn't make a large difference if I'm in a big room or small room, unless there is some large acoustical difference in the material, and it does seem that a small space could be difficult to work with. I'll just try a few things (including the 2nd mic further away in the large room, logancircle) and figure out what works best for now.
you are i am they are live