Best replacement for a U-87Ai

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dc11
gettin' sounds

Best replacement for a U-87Ai

Post by dc11 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:02 pm

I've been borrowing a friends U-87Ai for a few weeks now, and every vocalist I've recorded on it has sounded amazing. A Great River and a dbx 160X are in the chain as well. It's time to give the mic back, so I've got to find the best replacement for it till I can afford to get my own. Whattaya suggest?
My knob taste funny

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Best replacement for a U-87Ai

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:11 pm

soundelux ifet7, u195 no multiple patterns
shure ksm44 also..even the ksm27 cardio version of the44
you can get 8 ksm27's for the price of one u87!!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:53 am

The BLUE mouse. I use it everywhere I would have used an 87 in cardioid, and it works better.

I love the mouse.

dc11
gettin' sounds

Post by dc11 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:30 am

I have heard some great things about Blue mics. Thanks for the info ya'll.
My knob taste funny

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:41 pm

Hey Joel,

Do you think the Mouse and the 87 sound similar? To me, there's a much bigger similarity between the Mouse and the FET 47.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:55 pm

If you have a pair of (or single) MK-012's then check out the price on the M3 Lomo head. I don't have one yet myself but I've read here that the MK-012 with the Lomo head sounds just like a U87. The Lomo head is actually supposed to be the same head (diaphram guts) as the U87.

http://sound-room.com/customer/home.php?cat=2

I have a pair of 012's that I adore so this is my next mic upgrade on the plate.

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:02 pm

Hmmmm, Last year I finally plunked down the cash for a used mint U87ai
It gets slagged alot but I think its a pretty cool mic. It gets thats super classic sound, its just "that sound" I'm sorry... though a little crispy-
I'm not sure I've found an equivilant mic for that 87 sound. not for everything but niether is a strat, I have a love / hate relationship with those too...but a strat is a strat-

I think the geffel mics come close, but they are $$$ too.

AT is your best value in the cheeper end

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:22 am

"Do you think the Mouse and the 87 sound similar?"

-Cgarges

Chris:

No, I dont, which is why I like the mouse so much. I simply like the mouse BETTER in situation where I traditionally used an 87. I feel like it is a response more like a cross between an 87 and a FET 47, but more open than either, and more "forward" than the FET for sure. Everywhere I ever liked an 87, I like the mouse better, except as a room mic. For anything within a foot of the mic, the mouse wins for me every time.

87's are boring, lifeless, and a little one dimensional IMO... dont even get me started on how little I like 421's..... ;)

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:49 am

I totally agree with Joel -mice are nice. Great mic, very forward, wide presence. I'm not a fan of the 87 except on upright bass, but that's been replaced recently by 4050s for me, so I guess I don't like them at all any more.

But dissing 421s? cmon....that mic has bailed me out so many times...booo.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:52 am

Auralman,

The last 20 full lentgh LP's, and umpteen zillion other recordings I have done have not seen a 421 on a stand for anything.

This is a total thread hijack, but really 421's are not a mic I would ever even think to use on anything. They really bum me out. There are so many better choices for the same job.

I kind of feel the same way about 87's, but I know both of those mics are totally revered by many, and people use them both on everything.

I simply dont like the 87 very much, or the 421. of course they both have their place I guess, but I never like what I get when I put up an 87, especially when I have so many other choices.

auralman
buyin' gear

Post by auralman » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:11 am

interesting - i wonder if it's a room thing?

I'm not a fan of 421s for the 'typical' usage (drums)- very boring to my ear. Vastly prefer M88s for that type of thing. However, I remember one time tracking a really great-sounding combo amp where I threw mic after mic in front of it and could NOT get the sound of what I was hearing in the room. But - low and behold, the 421 got it.

Whatever- that's my support for it - one experience. phooey. Maybe I should take a nap.

From what I know about your tools, Joel, you're a lot like me in that you don't go for the 'usual' sound, but tend to capture the 'honest' sound as much as possible. I guess in that way, I hear you on 421s - it's usually not 'honest', but it is always 'safe' - any tomtom or bass drum mic'ed up with a 421 will sound like a gazillion other records, which many equate with 'good'-sounding.

Opinions, schmopinions.
I'm in for your mom and I'll pay.

Coco
re-cappin' neve

Post by Coco » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:16 am

Look for a used Gefell MV692 and buy a Gefell Um70 large diaphragm capsule for it. There was a pair on ebay last week with two M70 (small diaphragm nickel-membraned capsule) and two Um70 capsules. Anyway, they sound bloody fantastic. the UM70 capsule is like the venerable U47 capsule, with the originam M7 pvc diaphragm, and sounds just dandy on everything. That combo might have the U87 vibe ( I don't own a U87 so have not compared extensively) plus you can swap out different capsule. great bang for the buck. The capsules usually go for about $300 Us for a nice one and a MV692 with a small diphragm capsule should set you back about $500. Some have been converted to XLR and some still have the old 7-pin connector that you would need a power supply for. Cable-tek up here in Canada is the N Amerivan distributor for Gefell and can convert any old 7-pin type to XLR for about $125 Us. These mics always come up on ebay but check ebay Germany for ones in nicer shape and more selection.
I know enough to know that I don't know what I am doing.

Generals and Majors http://www.myspace.com/generalsandmajors

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:35 pm

The Adk Hamburg sounds very good for 300$ and does not sound like a cheap knockoff like the rode or mxl mic's

Adam

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:19 pm

OK I'm going to say it: If you are crazy for the U87, then you should buy a U87. It would probably end up being cheaper to just save up and get it instead of buying and selling two other mics along the way to getting it anyway.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:41 pm

"OK I'm going to say it: If you are crazy for the U87, then you should buy a U87. It would probably end up being cheaper to just save up and get it instead of buying and selling two other mics along the way to getting it anyway."

-Stuntbutt wins. For sure. Save up and get the real deal if you are loving it.

That is how I have every single one of the mics I have today. I waited.