fixing/replacing the input jack on a fender amp

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
stillafool
re-cappin' neve

fixing/replacing the input jack on a fender amp

Post by stillafool » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:38 pm

I stepped on the cable attached to my Fender Deluxe (it's around 5 or 6 years old), and I stripped the threads off of the input jack, so that it wobbles around, although it works fine. Is there some sort of resinous glue or something I can put over the stripped threads so I can tighten the nut, or do I have to get a new jack and solder it on the board (which I've done before, but on a much cheaper amp)?

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: fixing/replacing the input jack on a fender amp

Post by stillafool » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:42 pm

I forgot to add, the jack is plastic, so the threads wear off pretty easy.

these arms are apes
audio school

Post by these arms are apes » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:17 pm

i'd probably just visit a local instrument shop and buy another 1/4 jack, (switchcraft is the 'universal' brand, and is what are found in most amps and guitars, etcetera).. this is unless you want to keep your amp bone-stock, but then again, in this case, any self-rigging remedies would void that approach, anyways..

i'm sure you could find some good metal jacks at any local shop, but in the event that you can't;

allparts.com / jacks

they sell them all day long, for reasonable prices, although, it probably wouldn't take much time to find them cheaper elsewhere, on that note..

these arms are apes
audio school

Post by these arms are apes » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:22 pm

also, if you're comfortable soldering, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem there, either..

i'd try to solder the existing wire to the jack poles, instead of getting too close to the board itself, though.. excessive (or un-necessary) heat can cause problems sometimes..

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:40 pm

I looked on allparts, but I didn't see a jack similar to mine. The one in my amp is a covered, shielded jack -- looks like a black box with an input jack -- has a couple of letters like AV or something (I don't really want to open it up). When I opened it up, it looked like kind of a bitch to do, because it the jack is soldered in a way that I'm actually going to have to take out the circuit board, which I don't really want to do.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:55 pm

i'd try to solder the existing wire to the jack poles, instead of getting too close to the board itself, though.. excessive (or un-necessary) heat can cause problems sometimes..
unfortunately, on this amp i believe the jack is part of an assembly that is mounted right on the board. this happened to an amp of mine (a deluxe 85 solid state back in 1989). anyhow, i ended up having a tech rework both input jacks so they were standard metal switchcrafts. wasn't expensive (but that was almost 15 yrs ago).

frank

jmligt
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jmligt » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:18 pm

This happened to my Fender Hot Rod DeVille. It's been to the shop and fixed twice. It broke a third time and I said the hell with it and just started using the 2nd input jack.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:57 pm

i would remove the jack from the board and solder a non board mounted jack instead. that kind of thing is why people hate these amps.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:22 pm

Can I get a non-mounted jack at Radio Shack?

elberto
audio school graduate

Post by elberto » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:32 pm

If you decide to replace the jack, consider this: I fixed a friend's blues deville input jack; it was cutting in/out because of a cracked solder joint (all the pots and jacks are pcb-mounted, which is just asking for trouble). Anyway it took me a good 1-2 hours just getting the solder side of the pcb accessible, as they pack all that shit in there in the worst possible way.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:35 pm

stillafool wrote:Can I get a non-mounted jack at Radio Shack?
yup.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."